Looking for a CFI in SoCal

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
I'm looking for a CFI that is familiar with the Cherokee 140 and is located near the San Fernando Valley and available for a few hours on Saturday.

I need a co-test pilot (3 cylinders rebuilt during annual) and a checkout. I'm working on some options and this post might be for naught, but if you fit the bill, send me a PM.

Thanks!!

There are a boatload of California CFIs registered at www.OnlineGroundSchool.com with their contact info. To keep robots from mining the phone numbers and email addresses, you do have to register, but that only takes a sec. I'm affiliated with the site.

Last edited:
There are a boatload of California CFIs registered at www.OnlineGroundSchool.com with their contact info. To keep robots from mining the phone numbers and email addresses, you do have to register, but that only takes a sec.
A list like that is useless. California is a big place, and almost all the CFIs will be hundreds of miles away from San Fernando Valley.

The OP would do better to probe flight school websites at KVNY, KBUR, KWHP, and maybe KSMO or KEMT. There aren't that many. Or just a simple Google search of "Flight instructors near Van Nuys."

I understand that your hobby is badmouthing other people's posts. The list is sorted by city, so it is very useful, and a lot moreso than your post.

I understand that your hobby is badmouthing other people's posts. The list is sorted by city, so it is very useful, and a lot moreso than your post.

Yeah, you seem to have a habit of trying to drum up clicks, and hoping no one notices when you do.

I've objected to a number of things you've posted as "useful" that aren't, actually.

For the record, San Fernando is 400 miles from San Francisco, despite having very similar names, so a list by city is also useless. The Valley is rather dense with city names that are difficult to sort. For instance, is Van Nuys sorted under V or L? Before you answer that with a glib retort, Van Nuys is not a distinct city, and lies within the city limits of Los Angeles. Just a few miles away, Burbank does not.

Google does a better job.

Yeah. The only reason I've posted here is because the flight schools in the area aren't available at the last second.

I mean legally I'm fine. I've got my PPL/ASEL. I've just never flown a Cherokee before. My experience is limited to 172s. Add to that the fact that 3/4 of the engine is basically new and it'd be nice to have someone with me that knows what they're doing so I'm covered for insurance purposes. Legally I can do whatever I want... but legal and smart are two different things.

For the record, San Fernando is 400 miles from San Francisco, despite having very similar names, so a list by city is also useless. The Valley is rather dense with city names that are difficult to sort. For instance, is Van Nuys sorted under V or L? Before you answer that with a glib retort, Van Nuys is not a distinct city, and lies within the city limits of Los Angeles. Just a few miles away, Burbank does not.

Google does a better job.

I'm not sure where you pulled "San Francisco" from other than being the basis of some straw man argument. Most people who are looking to connect in some geographical area will know the names of municipalities that are close by. But I understand that you are simply arguing to be argumentative so enjoy it.

You'll like the Cherokee. I did my BFR training in one out of Chino (DuBois Aviation), where previously I had flown Diamond DA-20s and 172s. Very docile, and nice wide stance on the telescoping main gear. Only thing that was weird was the trim handle for the stabilator, a little hand crank above in the headliner..."Now which way for up trim?"

I'll like it once I get the damn thing. Buying an aircraft has been an incredibly painful, lengthy process.

Back