Looking for a 2-place ultralight float plane that can be trailered.

David Groat

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Groatski
I want to find a 2-person kit or commercially built ultralight floatplane (or better yet - amphibian) than can be broken down and trailered. I have relatives with an up-north lake cabin and I want to be able to take a small floatplane up there to tool around. The simpler the better; open cockpit, aluminum tube structure, etc.

Any recommendations?

I want to find a 2-person kit or commercially built ultralight floatplane (or better yet - amphibian) than can be broken down and trailered. I have relatives with an up-north lake cabin and I want to be able to take a small floatplane up there to tool around. The simpler the better; open cockpit, aluminum tube structure, etc.

Any recommendations?
Two-seat requirement excludes ultralights.

EAB/Light Sport options include the Icon, the Aventura, and the Super Petrel.

Ron Wanttaja

Aero Adventure sells an Ultralight Amphibian. Single seat smaller version of the Aventura. Comes as a kit which is basically a bolt together assembly.

Cheers

Kolb Firestar II on floats, though the weight of the floats may make it a 1 person airplane. 2 seats isn't an ultralight as Ron W pointed out.

The similar single seat Kolb Firefly is an ultralight, and has been put on floats. All the Kolbs have easy wing folding.

1692044647149.jpeg

Have a look at quad city challenger. I built a 2 place clipped wing version years ago, it was not on floats but a guy at my field had a 2 place long wing on floats. It was easy to build, fun to fly and could be broken down pretty quick for trailering.

Any recommendations?
Is not exactly an ultralight, but check the Aerotrek A220/240. It has foldable wings. (Is the one you see in the middle on the picture below). You won´t be able to store it like that with floats unless you have a barn or a high ceiling garate, but a flat bed trailer should do the trailering job.
1692279326887.png

1692279483105.png

Last edited:
Back