Looking at buying. Pro's Welcome!

firebug

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying (sick of renting) and had some questions to run by you guys. I have been working on my PPL I love to fly and love to take my family with me. All of us weigh in around 600lbs. I was recently looking at getting a CHEAP 150 just to finish my PPL and it didn't work out. I got to wondering about just buying the plane I would eventually want instead of several along the way. I would really like to have something Like a Twin Comanche. But being a twin, with retractable gear is it possible to finish my PPL in such an aircraft? If it is... Is it a bad Idea?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying (sick of renting) and had some questions to run by you guys. I have been working on my PPL I love to fly and love to take my family with me. All of us weigh in around 600lbs. I was recently looking at getting a CHEAP 150 just to finish my PPL and it didn't work out. I got to wondering about just buying the plane I would eventually want instead of several along the way. I would really like to have something Like a Twin Comanche. But being a twin, with retractable gear is it possible to finish my PPL in such an aircraft? If it is... Is it a bad Idea?

It is possible, not the cheapest way to finish you PP, but if you want a Twin Comanche as the plane to fly your family around in for the next 10 years it will be the safest and most cost effective long term. I bought my first twin, a turboed Beech Travelair, with about 60 hrs TT, I had one good trip on my PP. It worked out very well for me.

It CAN be done in a twin, it won't be cheap or easy, but it can be done, I wouldn't recommend it.:rolleyes: I assume you mean the total weight of passengers is 600 lbs.;) if it's 600 lbs each, you're gonna need a bigger plane.:yikes: I'm a Cessna guy, so for 4 people wanting to travel, you getting your instrument rating maybe, a 172/182 would fit the bill pretty well. Both are pretty simple to operate, the 182 is going to be more expensive to buy and fly, 12-13 GPH vs 9-10 in a 172. Either would be fine to finish your PPL and take you several years down the road. Lots of people think they will fly across the country on a regular basis when they learn to fly, which is great for a light twin. The reality, is most people don't fly near as far or as often as they plan to when the buy a plane.:dunno:

unless you only have 2 kids, I wouldn't recommend a 172/182. especially if it is a 250 pound 10 year old in the back seat.

It CAN be done in a twin, it won't be cheap or easy, but it can be done, I wouldn't recommend it.:rolleyes: I assume you mean the total weight of passengers is 600 lbs.;) if it's 600 lbs each, you're gonna need a bigger plane.:yikes: I'm a Cessna guy, so for 4 people wanting to travel, you getting your instrument rating maybe, a 172/182 would fit the bill pretty well. Both are pretty simple to operate, the 182 is going to be more expensive to buy and fly, 12-13 GPH vs 9-10 in a 172. Either would be fine to finish your PPL and take you several years down the road. Lots of people think they will fly across the country on a regular basis when they learn to fly, which is great for a light twin. The reality, is most people don't fly near as far or as often as they plan to when the buy a plane.:dunno:

600# total family weight LOL. I will be flying for my business (300 to 500 miles) and I currently make 10+ hour drives to shooting matches across the country I was hoping to start flying to. I assume the extra cost for getting my ppl would be the extra hours it takes to get the twin rating?

unless you only have 2 kids, I wouldn't recommend a 172/182. especially if it is a 250 pound 10 year old in the back seat.

I have to kiddos, Both are around 100lbs I bet I could weigh in around 600 Including baggage I always like to estimate a little high. Well unless its guessing at my wife's weight LOL

600# total family weight LOL. I will be flying for my business (300 to 500 miles) and I currently make 10+ hour drives to shooting matches across the country I was hoping to start flying to. I assume the extra cost for getting my ppl would be the extra hours it takes to get the twin rating?

Extra cost of operations, it won't take significantly longer to learn in a Twinkie although a Beech is easier to get slick in. There is a savings available here though in insurance; the sooner you get to 100hrs in any airframe, the sooner you get to bottom insurance rate. If you want a traveling machine like that the best way would be to just get in it with an instructor and fly balls to the walls every day until you get through your instrument rating. If you have that all done in a few months, you are going to be sh-t hot on the stick and bottom dollar to insure.

Last edited:
If you're going to be flying 500 miles on business and shooting matches, my advise is to take the extra money you would spend finishing your PPL in a twin and get an IR rating ASAP after the private. Upgrade to your family airplane later. My TCW. :)

If you're going to be flying 500 miles on business and shooting matches, my advise is to take the extra money you would spend finishing your PPL in a twin and get an IR rating ASAP after the private. Upgrade to your family airplane later. My TCW. :)

Do the IR in the plane you intend to fly in weather. Train like you fly in the plane you'll fly. He'll not waste a dime finishing in the plane he wants.

Do the IR in the plane you intend to fly in weather. Train like you fly in the plane you'll fly. He'll not waste a dime finishing in the plane he wants.

The word, "waste" is found nowhere in my post...
And He hasn't decided on his final airplane, has he?

Last edited:
I have to kiddos, Both are around 100lbs I bet I could weigh in around 600 Including baggage I always like to estimate a little high. Well unless its guessing at my wife's weight LOL

A friend of mine's last words were "what are you 2, 220?" to his girlfriend. I always ask "and your weight is what, 100?", then they tell me and then I add 25.

Newish PPL here, working on my IR in a 182 that I own. Like you, some day I want a twin. Didn't say need, said want.

I also drool over the crazy low prices of twins these days. I guess you like the Twinkie for its modest fuel burn? If you are even trying to scrimp, go single instead.

Five years from now I will be able to afford to maintain and operate a twin. THAT is the standard you should consider. Meanwhile I fly a 182 that makes me smile every time I climb in it and it hauls my family of four without issue.

Perhaps you are wealthier than I. If so, good for you and BUY THAT TWIN!!!

It would be cheaper and easier if you do your PPL and IR in a trainer then buy your Twinkie and get your multi rating in it.

It would be cheaper and easier if you do your PPL and IR in a trainer then buy your Twinkie and get your multi rating in it.

Incorrect, it will be more expensive by the time he is taking his first trip in the Twinkie besides the time lost. When you calculate in the insurance premiums, as a student with a 50 hr commitment to a CFI and 2 check rides (instead of 3, another $400 savings) he lists the CFII/ME as the primary insured and the rates will be low, the insurance companies love to see you do your rides in the plane they are insuring you in, plus they will throw in a 25hr Dual requirement anyway, this way he's got 50+ hrs hard training in the airframe in under a year, he calls when his check rides are done and his insurance comes down, he gets 100 hrs before renewal time and he's golden.

More importantly, he's sh-t hot in his airplane.

My PPL hours are not on hold until I buy, I am flying weekly and would like to buy. I am not very far into my research of different aircraft I've looked at the 310, the comanche, various beech's.. and am a long way from saying "this is the one".

Back