Look, up in the sky, it's the ISS

its visible to the naked eye, although I have personally never seen it :( Matt watched the shuttle and ISS fly formation shortly after separation before reentry. Lucky!

I've never gone to look for a satellite. Would you use binoculars?

It's much easier to spot them naked eye. Binoculars and especially telescopes have a tight field of view and you tend to miss them entirely. Tracking with a telescope is annoying at best since they cross a huge section of sky in a short time period.

Just go out on a dark night and look up. There are lots of easily spottable satellites. (look for stuff in polar orbit) They look kind of weird compared to most things, almost a high airliner type looking dot or meteor, however their motion is very very steady if that makes any sense. They're usually visible for about 10-15 deg off vertical. The HST starts out dim, gets a lot brighter for a couple seconds then the solar panels flash really bright for a second as it crosses directly overhead.

Also, you more likely to see satellites an hour after sunset or an hour before sunrise.

You can see a lot of space stuff with the naked eye. I have seen satellites, shuttle, one of the Apollos, and MIR (when it was up)

Probably not, though. The glow from NYC always colors my night sky red.

It's much easier to spot them naked eye. Binoculars and especially telescopes have a tight field of view and you tend to miss them entirely. Tracking with a telescope is annoying at best since they cross a huge section of sky in a short time period.

Just go out on a dark night and look up. There are lots of easily spottable satellites. (look for stuff in polar orbit) They look kind of weird compared to most things, almost a high airliner type looking dot or meteor, however their motion is very very steady if that makes any sense. They're usually visible for about 10-15 deg off vertical. The HST starts out dim, gets a lot brighter for a couple seconds then the solar panels flash really bright for a second as it crosses directly overhead.

I would add that the best times for viewing satilites is for about 1 1/2 hours after sunset and about the same amount of time before sunrise. Otherwise the satilite will be in the Earth's shadow cone.

Back