Look kids! Houses of Parliament! Big Ben! (fun with ADIZ)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
A friend of mine who currently flies for NW came into town. Last night we went flying. We planned to go to FDK, eat, and head back.

When we got to the airport, my CFI said, oooh, I need to be back at 8 PM. we can try though. we didn't get airbound til sometime after 7 - maybe 720? (I picked a new spiffy plane b/c my friend was there, so a few new procedures, had to check the numbers, etc etc). MAN WAS IT HOT OUT!!

We landed and by the time we cleared the runway it was 7:50. So we went back. No probs but boy was it busy on the radio! couldn't get a word in edgewise. so finally I had to circle. nice wide one... and called in. "118PB standby." several minutes later... called in again. He sent me to another freq. same thing. (still circling) wait wait wait. circle circle circle. called in again. "standby please". finally he sent us to another freq. (still circling). that one "standby please". we bounced between all three freqs a few times before finally someone took pity on us.

all told, no less than 6... and actually given that we were up there what seemed like 15 minutes and I was pretty much doing standard rate turns... coulda been 7-8.

so much for being back on time!

should also mention that my friend had not been in a small craft in two years. he said afterwards it felt really weird going soooo slowly on takeoff (rotate around 55-57) and also that we were so low the whole time. (1500 close to JYO). We have to pitch vX because of the construction and I'll tell ya, a little weight in the back (he's under 200 pounds, maybe 175) is enough to pitch up pretty well on its own. a brief bleep from the stall horn and I bet he was back there thinking "what the hell is she doing up there".

I traded up to the nicer new plane (2003 R model) so once we got going it wasn't too bad. had we been in the 71 L model - mamma mia!

the preflight was awful. plus with the R models you have to get down on your hands and knees and maybe even back to sump it. gah. nice hot tarmac. by the time we got in the plane we were all nice n' sweaty. and of course taxiing - awful.

I cancelled my flight for tonight (too damn hot!), but, hopefully it will rain like a sonavagun so it will get down to the 70s again.

woodstock said:
A friend of mine who currently flies for NW came into town. Last night we went flying. We planned to go to FDK, eat, and head back.

When we got to the airport, my CFI said, oooh, I need to be back at 8 PM. we can try though. we didn't get airbound til sometime after 7 - maybe 720? (I picked a new spiffy plane b/c my friend was there, so a few new procedures, had to check the numbers, etc etc). MAN WAS IT HOT OUT!!

We landed and by the time we cleared the runway it was 7:50. So we went back. No probs but boy was it busy on the radio! couldn't get a word in edgewise. so finally I had to circle. nice wide one... and called in. "118PB standby." several minutes later... called in again. He sent me to another freq. same thing. (still circling) wait wait wait. circle circle circle. called in again. "standby please". finally he sent us to another freq. (still circling). that one "standby please". we bounced between all three freqs a few times before finally someone took pity on us.

all told, no less than 6... and actually given that we were up there what seemed like 15 minutes and I was pretty much doing standard rate turns... coulda been 7-8.

so much for being back on time!

As is often said, "Time to spare ? Go by air !"

At least it's cooler/breezier when you're airborne...

Did you bust an airport closing NOTAM getting back that late? Or was it just an FBO close time?

If the former, you probably want to file an ASRS.....

wsuffa said:
Did you bust an airport closing NOTAM getting back that late? Or was it just an FBO close time?

If the former, you probably want to file an ASRS.....

we actually landed at 830 on the dot. we are ok.

Back