Longitude

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Its the name of the book. By Dava Sobel.
Its all about the enormous effort that was placed into finding a solution to 'The Longitude Problem', the navigational conundrum facing (mostly) seamen who were navigating the oceans during the 1500s -1700s. It involves Gallileo, Newton, Hooke (of microscope fame), Halley (of comet fame) putting their brains on the problem.
Finding Latitude was always relatively easy. But Longitude not only eluded the most erudite of all scholars, astronomers, cartographers and mathematicians of the time....but it was sinking ships left and right, killing thousands of sailors each year. This was due to navigational errors that sent them either off-course and wandering for months or into rocks. No GPS back then. Not even a radio signal! Governments were putting up huge rewards to anyone who could come up with a reliable, repeatable way to ascertain longitude. The British government itself had instituted The Longitude Act which had a Longitude Committee whose duty was to find a solution and had millions (in today's dollars) available to solve the mystery.
I have not read the whole thing yet but it is great reading. I had no idea what a huge thing this was back then. I won't spoil it by telling the solution...don't you either. Get the book and find out. Nice to have a little history to something we all take for granted in aviation today but is a huge part of what we do - navigating.
You would not beleive the quackish ideas that were proposed at the time, encouraged by the reward moneys available. Cannons booming from fixed ships, stationed across the ocean? One involved wounding a dog, then carrying the dog on the journey. The home port would put a painful poultice onto an article of the dog's at a high noon each day and the dog, hundreds or thousands of miles away, was supposed to yelp in pain as the powder was applied, to indicate the time at home! Not very successful! Another involved a man who spent 40 years of his life cataloguing the stars!

id like it Dave. Ill PM an address.

i read a little about this problem in another book. fascinating stuff.

whoops!
Not being a regular of the book forum I am not up on the rules or modus operandi. The book is great. But, its borrowed and I can't loan it out!!
So sorry all; apologies Tony!
Heck maybe I will find a copy of my own and pass it around, its pretty cool.

I tis a great book! I may have a copy and if I still have it I'll put it out for loan. I may already given it to the local Friends of the Library. Since I am out of town I cannot check until Friday. But if also get a chance to see the A&E special based on the book watch it! Very good production. The actor who plays John Harrison is Michael Gambon of Dumbledore/Harry Potter fame. BTW the Harrison clocks still run and can be seen in Greenwich. They are quite interesting to see.

Was a excellent book! Read it quite a while ago. If my failing memory is correct, the secret involved the use of very accurate timepieces and a sexant (?). Launched a whole new industry in England.

Just finished "Storm World" by Chris Mooney. The book is an evaluation of the effect of global warming of hurricanes. The author clearly has a bias (he also wrote the "Republican War on Science") toward the existance of global warming, but I will give him credit for also presenting the opposing opinions. Overall a reasonalby credible book on climatology and the politics of science.

Gary

I read this about 4-5 years ago or so - excellent and thought-provoking read. I visited Greenwich around the time I read it which helped bring it all to life.

Was a excellent book! Read it quite a while ago. If my failing memory is correct, the secret involved the use of very accurate timepieces and a sexant (?). Launched a whole new industry in England.

Just finished "Storm World" by Chris Mooney. The book is an evaluation of the effect of global warming of hurricanes. The author clearly has a bias (he also wrote the "Republican War on Science") toward the existance of global warming, but I will give him credit for also presenting the opposing opinions. Overall a reasonalby credible book on climatology and the politics of science.

Gary
The sextant will give you lattitude. What is needed for longitude is a timepiece. Although there was thought that knowing the position of the moon and other objects would also tell you longitude. It can but you need to build a very comprehensive set of look tables to do so. So many infact that at the time it was going to take lifetimes to get all the books developed. It was against the people that supported the celestial solution that Harrison competed against.

Harrison was just a regular Joe, not of nobility nor high education, yet he revolutionized modern timekeeping and invested many features into clock/watches that we take for granted today.

He was a right good buckko me matey's, aarrrrgh (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16509

Longitude is an excellent book, and was made into a great documentery on PBS and also a docudrama available on Netflix.

What is needed for longitude is a timepiece.

The competition for the timekeeping prize is a story by itself. The Museum of Time at Greenwich at a great presentation along with several of the original entries.

ok i ordered it off amazon. when im done with it it will be available here

well i got it on friday and had it finished saturday afternoon, a great read. a few other friends are reading it now, will be finished soon, then it will be available to PoA

Back