Longest down time since I got my cert!

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
It's hard to believe that I've only flown .5 hrs in the last 6+ weeks. We've had some horrendous weather here in SW PA. And the couple times we did have flyable wx, I had a head cold. Worst part is that they are calling for a "brutal" (local news hype) February.

Anyone else out there having a similar winter? What are you doing to get your fix? I've been reading a bunch and working on the instrument written material.

There is no real reason for this post other than to vent. C'mon Mother Nature...help a guy out here.

I feel your pain. Between weather and my schedule I haven't been able to log a XC since November, and have maybe 4 hours in the last 2 months. Getting 50 hours of XC has been a lot tougher than I thought.

I've been on the ground for about a month and don't see myself flying before the first week in March...that's what college does to you.

We get ours every year between March and the end of June.

Just Grin and Bear it and take it one day as it comes; expecting many cancellations. Also, don't plan on doing any flying past noon, since the weather starts rolling in typically around 10:30am.

Make up for lost time during the summer

Yup, I'm feeling it too... Also here in SW PA, and have been trying to get my last 3 solo laps on the pattern in before I can take the checkride (everything else is done!). However, I've been trying to get this in for the past month--Thursday I have something scheduled, and it's looking like it may be good.

I flew at the end of December last. I too am doing my IR ground stuff to help get me through the winter blah. Hoping to start IR training on Tuesday. Duats seems to think it may be okay. For those that are waiting to go to 50 PIC hours before starting you will be doing or can do some during the IR training. That's my plan at least.

My plane has been in the paint shop since Nov 2 and this is the longest I've gone without flying since I started in 97. I'm hating it but will get getting it back Feb 15 so it's not too much longer.

4.7 to date this year...depressing. :(

Have my batteries pulled and at home, maybe I'll try after this next snow forecast blows through.

Just 70 days until the motor home is going to be driven south and parked in Ocean City Maryland and the airport car moved to OXB. c'mon Springtime!!

Attachments

• 2.2.13.JPG
    2.2.13.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Haven't flown since 19 Dec because of weather and so much ice on the hangar door that it can't be opened.

I haven't flown since late November. I've certainly tried!

Will get up and do some landings as soon as the weather brakes a little bit. Was considering going up with an instructor, but I'll be ok if I pick a calm day.

Finally got out today!! I was hoping to get a little x-c time, but ended up in the pattern doing x-wind landings. The wind wasn't too severe 310@10 (rw23), but it was all over the place. Crossing the numbers, the windsock was showing around 270 or so. A little further along, the windsock at the tower was showing a direct x-wind.

None of my landings were art, but I did keep them straight and only had one "firm" one. The worst one was a floater that seemed to go on forever.

The weather went from 2500 scattered to clear by the time I wrapped up. I would've stayed up longer, but someone had the plane after me.

Wx looks decent for tomorrow, so I may get my x-c in then.

It's great to be back up there finally!

.........Wx looks decent for tomorrow, so I may get my x-c in then. It's great to be back up there finally!

Looking forward to some air time tomorrow! Went to the airport and plugged in the Reiff heaters, batteries charging here at home. If I can hook up with my safety pilot I'll knock out IR requirements for currency.

Good luck getting the xc in!

First time since earning my PPL that I was out of currency for carrying passengers. Had a bit of a cluster-frak with my medical, and just got it by the skin of my teeth anyway. Wx has been a bit on the brutal side this winter to boot.

Did a short hop down to my local choke and puke, one hour and two rather good landings. That, and some yummy pie. Like Randy Quaid said in Independence Day, I'm Baaack!

Haven't flown since 19 Dec because of weather and so much ice on the hangar door that it can't be opened.

Took about 20 minutes with a prybar to get 40 feet of door seal loose from the ice so I could open the door this morning.

Then I couldn't get the airplane over the "hump" and out of the hangar untill I beat some of it out of the way with the same pry bar...

I finally got some air time!!

Battery issues resolved and I managed to get 1.7 today! Good eats at Kay's (KCGE) and it was a packed house. First time in all the years flying in there that I saw the ramp full.

Finally got the wx I was looking for. 12k scattered, 10+vis and calm at the surface. Winds aloft were up around 25-30, but smooth.

Apparently everyone else had the same idea, because it was busier than usual. I stayed in the pattern for about 4 loops. I wanted to improve on my landings from last time (x-wind). These were pretty good today.

Given the conditions, I just couldn't stay in the pattern. I decided to do some sightseeing in a direction I rarely go. It was fun, but a bit challenging. I haven't been out with snow on the ground since last winter season. I forgot how hard it was to pick up landmarks. I had the gps on, but it was odd that nothing looked familiar as I got back closer to home.

Man does it feel good to get that fix! The last time I actually left the pattern was December 15th. Hopefully, the wx will start to break and I can get back to accumulating my x-c time towards my instrument rating. Long way to go, but with so much downtime this winter, I was able to save a good bit of what I'm going to need.

Scott

I hope we get some snow this week so I can get up and see it this weekend. Haven't had a good snow flight this winter.

Between weather, travel and other things I haven't logged anything since late October. This has got to STOP!

Edit - And it did! Got in an hour of quality time in the Arrow last night. That felt really good.

Last edited:
Just flew yesterday after the longest non flying stretch since getting my PPL. It was exactly 30 days since my last flight prior to yesterday. Boy did it feel good to get back into it again. I was pretty surprised how good I flew too. Nice landings on both ends of my XC!

Really hope I don't go another month without flying again. I guess with spring coming soon( kind of soon) I can hope for better weather.

I haven't flown since late November. I've certainly tried!

Will get up and do some landings as soon as the weather brakes a little bit. Was considering going up with an instructor, but I'll be ok if I pick a calm day.

You guys are serious contenders for the "Pilot Weenie of Quarter Award". :rofl:

I fly once a week no matter what. If that means I spend 6 hours chipping ice so be it. :dunno:

Last edited:
Back