Longer than usual for a medical ?

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I have to re-apply for an SI every year. I submit my paperwork to Oklahoma and within 4-5 weeks, I have my medical. This has been an odd year. I'm now into my 7th week and still waiting. An instructor I fly with told me that he heard they lost some examiners and are way behind. Has anyone else heard this?

When you sent in the paperwork, was each page clearly labeled with your name, birthdate, pilot certificate number, and the unique numbers from your SI letter?

If not, this can slow down the process since they have to manually match up the scanned page with the database entry that represents you.

The "Interested Airman" phone number is 405-954-4821. Call on 3 nonconsecutive days (btw; Friday to Monday is consecutive) and ask about your case and politely request that you wish this to be pushed higher in the queue.

An instructor I fly with told me that he heard they lost some examiners and are way behind. Has anyone else heard this?
Dr.'s Bruce and Lou can better comment on this. But from I remember from other posts from Bruce, this is correct.

Pretty sure it's not a paperwork issue. Over the last 5 years, I've got this down to a science. After the initial holdup in year 1, I've been seeing my medical in 4-5 weeks like clockwork. Just called them again and got a message saying they're experiencing heavy call volume and to try later. Must be a lot of us wondering where the hell our medicals are.

The "Interested Airman" phone number is 405-954-4821. Call on 3 nonconsecutive days (btw; Friday to Monday is consecutive) and ask about your case and politely request that you wish this to be pushed higher in the queue.

Curious, why non-consecutive days?

Not sure of the actual answer. But it's the advice that Dr. Bruce Chien has provided ever since I arrived on the aviation scene.

I have to re-apply for an SI every year. I submit my paperwork to Oklahoma and within 4-5 weeks, I have my medical. This has been an odd year. I'm now into my 7th week and still waiting. An instructor I fly with told me that he heard they lost some examiners and are way behind. Has anyone else heard this?

I have VA disability for Tinitus from the Navy so mine got deferred to OKC as well. I called down to KC FAA office shortly after the deferral to get a feel for the timing and they were extremely helpful and polite.
They said that OKC is backed up quite a bit and it would take them 4-6 weeks to go through everything. They said I could send my responses direct to KC or they could transfer it and have their AME look at it much sooner if I wanted.
I just called yesterday and they were able to transfer my file from OKC to KC (they just scanned my response in yesterday morning) and said they should be able to go through it this week or next at the latest and have a response or any additional questions.

So, I highly recommend giving them a call and simply asking where it's at and how long they expect it to take. It may already be too far down the road to get it xferred to KC like I did, but they can at least let you know where it's at and poke it along if necessary. I also told them I was nearing my solo so I needed to get it as soon as possible and they put that in the comments as justification to have it expedited.

*edit
Forgot to put the KC contact info:
I didn't see where you were at, but if you're not covered by KC, then just look up your regional FAA office or even OKC and try calling them.

Regional Flight Surgeon Contact Information
Central Region
States in the Central Region

Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska
Daniel K. Berry, D.O., Ph.D.
Federal Aviation Administration
Medical Division, ACE-300
DOT Headquarters Building
901 Locust Street, Room 350
Kansas City, Missouri 64106-2641
(816) 329-3250, (800) 832-6421
Fax: (816) 329-3266

Not sure of the actual answer. But it's the advice that Dr. Bruce Chien has provided ever since I arrived on the aviation scene.
I asked the Dr. Bruce via the AOPA forum about why non-consecutive days. He replied, "I don't really know, but it is what it is."

You can apply for an SI renewal up to 90 days ahead of the re-issue/expiration date. My RFS is taking about 30 days right now but I'll provide my required records closer to 60 days in advance to avoid a lapse. If your case is in OKC you can call and assuming you have your PI# anyone can tell you the status. They can fax or email your cert if you run down to the last days, too. Been there, done that.

I've always heard the same about non-consecutive days, too. While I've never needed to worry about it, I've known a couple that have. When they went from calling several days in a row to every-other day, it's worked like a charm.

I called again yesterday and was told that my SI was still under review. I explained to the lady that this was into week 8 when it usually took 4 and she said she would flag the account. She did say their phone lines have been really busy with calls just like mine. She wasn't sure why everything was taking longer this year. Guess all I can do is continue to wait.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Sorry to hear Scott. I know it must be frustrating when you know you have complied and still have to wait. My tail number change that should only take 4-6 weeks took 3 months so they must be backed up in al areas. At least you know it will be issued, just a matter of time and you will be back in the air

Thanks. And yes, it is frustrating, but patience is something I learned by becoming a pilot. This is just another test. And honestly, here in SW PA, we've had few good days for flying. Makes it a bit easier.

Well, here we are in week 9 of "where the hell is my medical?". I have called and been told they flagged it. They tell me it's under review, apologize for the delay and tell me they have a backlog, but no additional info is available.

I sincerely hope they move the FAA re-authorization through as soon as possible. It won't help me this year, but it will save me a ton of money down the road if it goes through in its current form.

Back