Long XC with Family - The Trip Home

SethV

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SethV
Last week I posted about our first long XC as a family - from PTK (Pontiac MI) to VNC (Venice FL). We stayed 5 days and then started home.

One of the great things about flying ourselves is that we can stop along the way to see the sights or see family. On the way home we decided to head over to Sebastian on the other side of the state and see my wife's family. The flight across the state was an easy one, 3500' with only a slight diversion to go around the restricted area north of Okechobee. There was 1 plane in the pattern at Sebastian so I joined the downwind behind him. Just as I anoucned I was turning base, another plane anounced that I cut him off - on his straight in approach. Would have been nice if he would have joined the pattern like everyone else, but oh well. Landed and got fuel without problems.

Her grandparents are 94 and 91 and it was great to see them. After a short visit and lunch, we drove back to x26 (Sebastian) and departed for RDU (Raleigh, NC) to see my brother in law. The trip up to RDU was fun, flew along the coast and then cut the corner a bit out over the water. Beautiful with scattered clouds below us as we were at 8500'. Flew through one light rain shower on the approach to RDU, but overall very nice weather. They gave me vectors to 32 and right into the ramp. The folks at TAC were very nice.

His kids are about the same age as my kids and the cousins love playing with each other. We went out to dinner together and stayed the night with them. Had a very nice time and after breakfast the next morning they dropped us back at RDU.

Departing RDU was fun - I have been into a few class C airports before (Flint, Toledo) but this was right in the middle of the morning push and it was busy. Clearance delivery was really friendly and got me moving quickly. I lined up #2 for departure between and RJ and a 737. Cool! Easy departure and the vectored me to my planned heading and stepped me up to 10,500'. Flew slalom around some building clouds, but the air was smooth and it was a nice flight.

We stopped at I40 in Ohio for fuel. At the fuel stop the radar confirmed that storms were building in SE Michigan. I gave our route to Indy Center to keep me well south of the big weather, but I still had to step down my altitude to stay under as I got closer. At one point I was 1000' AGL and thought about diverting but the ceilings began to lift from there. The route worked out and we got back into PTK with no trouble. Our flight path from flight aware is shown below (I flew the green track, anyone know what the blue dashed track is?).

So, 2160 nm, 182 gal of fuel and 17.5 hours hobbs time in the DA40 - what a trip!

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    805.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Not sure about the first < early in the flight, but I'd say the dashed blue line is the flight plan ARTCC put in the computer.

Not sure about the first < early in the flight, but I'd say the dashed blue line is the flight plan ARTCC put in the computer.

Thats what I thought but they often have those weird little jogs in them. Love flightaware - my Mom watched us the whole time as we were flying. She would text me after we landed each time "You just landed" - as if I didn't notice... :goofy:

Thats what I thought but they often have those weird little jogs in them. Love flightaware - my Mom watched us the whole time as we were flying. She would text me after we landed each time "You just landed" - as if I didn't notice... :goofy:

sounds like my Mama

Just as I anoucned I was turning base, another plane anounced that I cut him off - on his straight in approach. Would have been nice if he would have joined the pattern like everyone else, but oh well.

Hmm, not sure why you would have expected him to join the pattern, if he was set up for a straight-in approach. He may have been doing a practice instrument approach, or even if not, joining the pattern would have required an awkward downwind entry. I might even argue safety as a reason NOT to continue the straight-in.

I hang my response out there, as I may be wrong in my thinking and wouldn't get my feelings hurt to be corrected.

Hmm, not sure why you would have expected him to join the pattern, if he was set up for a straight-in approach. He may have been doing a practice instrument approach, or even if not, joining the pattern would have required an awkward downwind entry. I might even argue safety as a reason NOT to continue the straight-in.

I hang my response out there, as I may be wrong in my thinking and wouldn't get my feelings hurt to be corrected.

I understand what you mean - and I guess by "joining the pattern" he could have at least made radio calls to let us know he was on a straight in. Then it would have been no big deal for me to extend my downwind and pull in behind him. Never heard from him on the radio till after I made my turning base call. Also a good reason to keep your eyes open in the pattern!

Ah, makes sense. I didn't realize he wasn't on the radio.

I understand what you mean - and I guess by "joining the pattern" he could have at least made radio calls to let us know he was on a straight in. Then it would have been no big deal for me to extend my downwind and pull in behind him. Never heard from him on the radio till after I made my turning base call. Also a good reason to keep your eyes open in the pattern!

I fly straight ins.... However I radio about 10 miles out and if the pattern has more than 1 person in it I either slow way down or join it either base or downwind. You should of told him you didn't cut him off and that he was probably not able to see you with his head up his own ass....

I fly straight ins.... However I radio about 10 miles out and if the pattern has more than 1 person in it I either slow way down or join it either base or downwind. You should of told him you didn't cut him off and that he was probably not able to see you with his head up his own ass....

I do sometimes, other times I fly over midfield and join.

But as the OP describes it, OP's at pattern altitude, in the pattern, talking on the radio, and - critically - likely lower than the straight-in airplane. The lower of the two aircraft has right of way IIRC.

I think the straight-in airplane made a mistake by not announcing himself on CTAF and also by claiming to have been 'cut off' when in fact he was out of line. I'm sure the OP would have happily extended downwind if he'd known the guy was out there in time.

just my $0.01 on that.

But as to the point of the OP overall, I'd say... isn't it a liberating feeling to be able to travel by air! It shrinks the world, provides far more places to land, and generally makes longer trips doable in a weekend or long weekend. Love it.

Last edited:
Back