Long X/C and Charts

robsingles

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rob Singles
I just recently took a trip from Florida to Pennsylvania. I stopped in South Carolina for fuel and made a side trip to NYC/NJ while I was up that way. I had purchased every enroute chart. approach plate, sectional, & AFD for every state I could possibly fly over. All said and done I only used a hand full of the purchased charts. I am curious what other members do for long cross countries? Do you buy every chart as I did? Do you only get those for your planned stops? If you are making an IFR flight do you buy the sectionals for the route as well?

Just Curious,

I hear you, brother.

I flew a fifteen-state, 4,000-mile round-robin trip last Labor Day weekend. I spent over a hundred bucks on WAC, enroute and terminal area charts, approach plates and airport/facility directories. My trip just happened to begin on the first day of the chart cycle, so I had to order them expedited from Sporty's -- at substantial extra cost, of course.

The weather turned out to be severe clear all the way, so all I used were the WACs, one TAC and one page of each of the A/FD's. I now have an expensive box of slightly-used, but now mostly out-of-date aeronautical charts. Maybe I can recover some of the cost by using them for Christmas wrapping paper ... or is that not an FAA-approved use of them?

Had the weather been otherwise, or if a diversion to another airport been necessary, I would have been most grateful to have them all aboard.

-- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
I hear you, brother.

Had the weather been otherwise, or if a diversion to another airport been necessary, I would have been most grateful to have them all aboard.

-- Pilawt
I'm 100% with you on this one. What's $100.00? Less than 30 gal. of 100LL at today's prices, 3 hrs. of flight time in my C172SP. The peace of mind is worth more than that. Isn't it?

I travel with the full NACO IFR low altitude charts and approach plates for the planned route and adjacent areas if diversion is at all likely (e.g., for summertime thunderstorms). I don't carry A/FD's because the approach plates have most of the critical information. Most of what's not on the approach plates is in the AOPA Airport Directory, which I always have on board.

VFR charts? Only in the mountains. I do carry VFR Terminal charts when in the vicinity of Class B.

I did a 19 state 4500 nm trip in July. I bought the AFDs and sectionals. 18 sectionals I think. (everyone west of the Miss except El Paso, and then a few east of the Miss)

I am instrument rated, but bought none of the approach plates. I air filed over Texas somewhere to get below a broken layer at OKC/Norman.

I buy 'em all. I'd just hate to have a serious problem arise and find I don't have the approach chart for the nearest suitable airport. Lotta paper to purchase on the trip to California and back this summer, but peace of mind is worth it.

Pilawt said:
I hear you, brother.

I flew a fifteen-state, 4,000-mile round-robin trip last Labor Day weekend. I spent over a hundred bucks on WAC, enroute and terminal area charts, approach plates and airport/facility directories. My trip just happened to begin on the first day of the chart cycle, so I had to order them expedited from Sporty's -- at substantial extra cost, of course.

The weather turned out to be severe clear all the way, so all I used were the WACs, one TAC and one page of each of the A/FD's. I now have an expensive box of slightly-used, but now mostly out-of-date aeronautical charts. Maybe I can recover some of the cost by using them for Christmas wrapping paper ... or is that not an FAA-approved use of them?

-- Pilawt

www.airchart.com

The only thing they don't have covered is the AFD.

lancefisher said:
www.airchart.com

The only thing they don't have covered is the AFD.

Have to admit, I don't carry everyting I should on cross country trips: I head to CA; Wisconsin, Norfolk and Orlando from Dallas. Go to one or the other each month. I do either have up-to-date low altitude enroute charts or High altitude enroute charts depending on what I'm flying. Do have approach proceedures but all the books may not be current; I update individual key airports with an ILS enroute. Carry the AOPA guide rather than purchase each A/FD. Also, print the current info off AirNav which has the facilities info.

No matter what you carry, unless it's all North America, you can go off the charts. I was forced about 400 miles west for weather enroute on one trip which took me off the left edge of the low altitude charts I was carrying and away from any termal chart I was carrying. Approach understood the unanticipated deviation and provided critical info. Only time since I began flying in 1971 that I've asked for that kind of assistance. On my plane, I do have current IFR enroute and approach data bases which provide a lot of essential info.

I've been waiting for a reasonable electronic chart system. My laptop may not function above 10,000 feet and I've not been willing to upgrade. Maybe it's time.

Dave

Ron Levy said:
I buy 'em all. I'd just hate to have a serious problem arise and find I don't have the approach chart for the nearest suitable airport. Lotta paper to purchase on the trip to California and back this summer, but peace of mind is worth it.

I buy them all. I have even bought $50 - $60 worth of charts and AFD's for a trip I wanted to take and didn't. 56 days later I buy them again because the trip is on again. It gets expensive, but I look at as insurance. I also want to be 100% legal for every trip I take. I'm glad my wife has no idea what I spend on paper that becomes worthless.

Back