long weekend trip up to Maine -- Tips

pilotmarcus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilotmarcus
Hey,

I'm planning to go up to Maine from NYC for the long Memorial Holiday weekend. Leaving late Friday afternoon from FRG and returning on Monday evening in a C172. Never been to Maine and also need the xcountry trip for my commercial, so I thought it is a good idea.

Was thinking about 0B1 and BGR, but open to others... I have no mountain flying experience. I have a tent with me, in case all the hotels will be booked out.

So if someone has some tips where to go and stay, please let me know. Are there any airports where you can camp at the premises? Would like to do some hikeing, relaxing and of course seafood as well.

Thanks,
Marcus

There is a nice airport near Moosehead Lake at Greenville. Lots of lakes. Seaplane heaven. Nice town.

Nothing special in Bangor. I find that the Maine coast is what I like. Bar Harbor is nice. Portland is an interesting town vs. Bangor.

anyone has been to Mount Desert BHB?
I think there are even some camping places around.

I can't tell you much about Maine, except, Portland, don't waste your time with Portland. That's all I can say.

if i get off late I tought I could do a night stop-over in Portland, anything I need to know?

Probably a good bit colder then you might expect. And perhaps a notch colder then that. When I used to drive through for work, coastal Maine seemed to get more morning fog then the NY, CT, MA coast. Water will still be kill you pretty quick cold, take that into account if you do any water based recreation. Have fun.

Rockland has the Owls Head Transportation Museum, a lot of old airplanes and a few cars. Not sure about on airport camping.

Check out Gadabout Gaddis for camping and fishing along the river, it's a bit inland from the coast but not in mountain country.

if i get off late I tought I could do a night stop-over in Portland, anything I need to know?

Nothing really to say that you can't stop for the night, it's just not a destination to go to.

A couple things,

1) If you're doing this for 61.129(a)(4)(i), I presume you're solo.
2) I've camped at Parlin Field in NH, 2b3, not far from ME, and has a decent Mexican place right on the field. Camping area along the intersecting grass strip is nice, with a stream and covered bridge nearby.
3) wiscasset, IWI, has cheap fuel and a courtesy car. Reds Eats is the popular place in town for lobster rolls, fried clams, haddock, etc. Lears next door has awesome ice cream.

4) BHB a free bus picks up near the airport and runs a circuit through Acadia national park. You'll love it.

I flew FRG-BHB a few years ago. Apart from nastier weather than predicted causing me to overnight at Portsmouth PSM, landing in 35kt wind, it was a beautiful trip! Because of the previous unplanned overnight, it turned into a day trip at Bar Harbor but the area there's beautiful.

Hey marcus, sorry about the late reply to your PM but also wanted to make sure you got what you need.

Just found this thread here which allows me to answer a lot of your PM questions better. I've sent you a PM again with some details. If you are interested in meeting up sometime over the weekend I'd be down for that. Let me know.

I'm also a latecomer to your post. I'm 12.5 miles from KIWI Wiscasset. The upper room(with the dormer window) on the right in the photo can be yours and it'll be dry on a predicted rainy weekend. I can pick you up at Wiscasset. Guest room is almost always open to visiting pilots.

HR
Can you believe this was a January 01, 2012 photo? It was an unusual winter.

Attachments

• Georgetown 010112_1.JPG
    Georgetown 010112_1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Thanks so much for everyone's reply and info. Unfortunately I did not make it last weekend due to weather, I went to Virginia Beach instead.

Nevertheless I will plan another trip up to Maine later this year so I will defintly make use of all the information.

thanks again,
Marcus

Back