Long time no talk!

jssaylor2007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jssaylor2007
Hey guys I have been MIA for a little bit, but finally was able to find a new instructor and get a couple of lessons going yesterday.

We split it into 2 sessions, the first of which my wife came along for her first flight in anything smaller than a CRJ-700. The second flight we didnt bring my wife, and we did a bit more exciting maneuvers; steep turns, various stalls, killed the plane glided around a bit (a bunch of things the wife would've killed me over ;))

All in all I love my new instructor and i think its going to go great. He was previously a navy pilot, and also an ag pilot. He teaches at an air base flying club when he isnt in this area.

Buuuut anyways, I figured I'd give everyone an update since i havent been on in a while. Mostly due to crappy internet and nothing to report.

Good for you! Sounds like flights were successful. Is your CFI going to teach you about AG flying?

Hey guys I have been MIA for a little bit, but finally was able to find a new instructor and get a couple of lessons going yesterday.

We split it into 2 sessions, the first of which my wife came along for her first flight in anything smaller than a CRJ-700. The second flight we didnt bring my wife, and we did a bit more exciting maneuvers; steep turns, various stalls, killed the plane glided around a bit (a bunch of things the wife would've killed me over ;))

All in all I love my new instructor and i think its going to go great. He was previously a navy pilot, and also an ag pilot. He teaches at an air base flying club when he isnt in this area.

Buuuut anyways, I figured I'd give everyone an update since i havent been on in a while. Mostly due to crappy internet and nothing to report.
Welcome back! Probably a good decision not to bring a passenger with on the second part of that lesson! Hope she enjoyed her trip. Perhaps you can get her to take lessons too!

Good to have you back!

It feels good to get back in the air doesn't it?

Keep us posted!

Yes he is still fully certified part 137, so he can teach ag. He seemed excited about having an ag student. I like this instructor MUCH more than the one I had in Lubbock. This instructor seems to be teaching me how TO FLY not how to fly a 172.

Yes it does feel great to be back in the air, we did some things that were scary, but important lessons. He showed me the extremes of trim control, and we tried and tried to get the airplane to stall, which is darn near impossible in a 172 I've learned. So far he has been much more on the controls than my instructor in Lubbock, but we seem to be doing more than I was in Lubbock.

Lubbock seemed more like we were just flying around, this time its like im actually learning things.

Sounds like you now have an instructor that is much more the type that you need.

Have you traveled somewhere away from the Lubbock area for lessons?

Doc

Me and my wife have moved in with my parents, saving rent, bills, etc. and putting it all towards flying. My parents live out in the boonies near the NM/TX state line, hence the cruddy internet.

Well I have lived 90% of my life out here in the boonies, always missed it when I was in Lubbock. Only thing is you get used to the internet, and having somewhat decent retailers being less than an hours drive away.

I just looked at it on google.... Looks like an AG pilots dreamworld with all those center pivots.

Glad your CFI is good.

Do y'all have a flight school down there at Alpine? Thats some pretty country when you guys have rain.

Yes we do. And yes it is! We had a lot of snow yesterday. It's melting now and the ground has already slurped it up.

I might have to come down there some time and fly. Ive only been through the area riding with my buddy on a cattle truck headed down towards the border. It'd be nice to see it from the air.

Back