Long-term SSRI use, stopping, then applying for medical

C

christmasgift

I've been thinking about getting a PPL for several years, entirely for hobby purposes. After I droppedr some hints, the family pooled together for a Christmas present and purchased for me a Discovery Flight from a local flight school.

However, in doing some research the past several months, I have some questions that might be a hold up. After the New Year, I plan on having a consultation-only with an AME, and pending what transpires, might reach out to someone like Dr. Chien, who I see referenced here a lot.

The concern is that I've used one of the approved SSRI medications for several years. Roughly fine years ago I talked with my primary doctor about anxiety related to a hectic period in my life and I was prescribed an SSRI for generalized anxiety. I still see that same primary doctor, but quite frankly, I don't know if we've ever discussed the anxiety since, other than the nurse asking if I'm still in the medication while checking me in for routine checkups. I reached out to the primary doctor a couple weeks ago after I learned the SSRI might be a concern and the doctor let me know it's fairly typical to stay on the SSRI longterm if it doesn't cause any issues.

Hindsight 20/20, I wish I'd followed up more often with the doctor specifically about the SSRI use and only stayed on it short-term. But alas... I didn't know much about the SSRI or any potential future conflict.

The primary care doctor indicated willingness to work with me to come off the medication over a slow taper period, if that helps at all. As much as I want to fly as a hobby, I can't wrap my head around the costs and commitment of the in-depth screening required for SSRI clearance with the FAA.

I'd much prefer to, with the help of my primary care doctor, wean off the medication, let a period of several months lapse, reevaluate my interest in continuing the hobby PPL, and go from there. But I've read varying stories online about coming off an SSRI for greater than 60 days (after several years of usage) then getting a medical. Do you have any anecdotal or exact experience with this topic? Thank you.

Are you determined to get PPL, or would Sport Pilot work for you? Sport would avoid the whole issue if you can settle for daytime VFR and only one passenger.

Oops. I really should have included that in the original post. At this point in time, I don't think a Sport license checks enough of my boxes because some of the hobby aspirations include taking some trips with the kids, who have also expressed interest in aviation.

The critical questions are:
Have you been on >5 years
More than once
Any suicidal in the record
Any period on two SSRIs?

Use the link in my sig line if you want to send a message....

The critical questions are:
Have you been on >5 years
More than once
Any suicidal in the record
Any period on two SSRIs?

Use the link in my sig line if you want to send a message....

Thanks for the response. I've seen your info tossed around and will gather my questions and reach out to you (potentially) after a consult-only with a standard AME to discuss some of these questions. I'm just thankful I discovered some of these concerns about SSRIs prior to starting flight school and prior to going to the actual medical exam.

Yes, I think I've been on the SSRI for greater than 5 years. I will check the exact records because it might be around that 5 year mark.

More than once? As in coming off and on the said SSRI? No, I've been on it the whole time. Same dosage the whole time since I really don't remember ever discussing it with my primary doctor much, if at all, after the initial visit.

No suicidal. Only thing on record is general anxiety.

No multiple SSRIs.

the problem is >>5 years of meds is that the FAA regards that the prescriber is thinking it will recur if he stops the meds. So you either need (after full record review) a HIMS psychiatrist to concur that this was a one-off, or you're going to be denied for "recurrent disease untreated and un-monitored".

The alternative is the ON SSRI Special, which is costly and has recurrent costs.

Another hiccup I'm running into is that when I was originally prescribed an SSRI for general anxiety, the doc also prescribed a 14 or 30 day rx for Xanax. He claims that's standard protocol for a new diagnosis of anxiety -- but from what I'm reading online, being treated with dual medications is an automatic disqualifier.... Hmm, head-scratcher

You’ll know more after consulting with an AME, and especially if you follow up with an SSRI expert. As much as it may seem to be a pain ($$$ + time) you’ll know either you are good to go, at least on this part, or you did all you could.

Another hiccup I'm running into is that when I was originally prescribed an SSRI for general anxiety, the doc also prescribed a 14 or 30 day rx for Xanax. He claims that's standard protocol for a new diagnosis of anxiety -- but from what I'm reading online, being treated with dual medications is an automatic disqualifier.... Hmm, head-scratcher

Correct, use of two psychiatric drugs simultaneously normally disqualifies from the SSRI pathways.

A special issuance is always a possibility if you can prove you are well treated and managed and safe to fly. Best to pursue that with one of the high level HIMS AMEs. Two are on this board, Drs. Chien and Fowler.

If the SI may be possible, figure 6-18 months of work and $5-10k to complete it. But again, Dr. Chien is the expert on this. Suggest contacting him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back