Long term parking on Grass vs Asphalt

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
Do any of you see a difference in corrosion when parking an airplane on grass vs asphalt? My local small airport only has parking in the grass just off the asphalt taxi way. If I drive another 15 mins to a different airport they have parking available on asphalt. I prefer the closer airport, but was thinking about the moisture coming up from the grass. Wish I had a hanger.

Am I over thinking this?

What those two said ^. I don't see any problems with parking on the grass itself, although the airplanes that I know of that get parked in the grass are very neglected and end up non-airworthy. The words "long term" hint in that direction. Hopefully this isn't the plan for you.

Grass/ asphalt, makes no difference, when you care for your aircraft. UV damage is the same, weather is the same, etc.

I have 3 squares of plywood, about a foot square, one for each tire. Helps mitigate getting the tires stuck in mud or crud. Great for OSH.

Thanks for the replies. This airplane will not be neglected. I too will be placing someting under the 3 wheels to help avoid the mud.

I never had any issues with parking on the grass at VKX compared to on the asphalt at IAD. The biggest issue at VKX is that there were enough trees and stuff around that birds were a problem. I had to carefully plug up the holes (particularly the elevator carrythrough on the Navion) and got most of the problems to go away when I hung a scareeyes balloon on the tail with a loop of safety wire over the beacon.

Never had a mud problem, your ground may be different. It was up to me to mow my tiedown. They kept a lawnmower in the round hangar I used if my plane was in the tiedown when they mowed the rest of the place.

I parked a plane on grass for a few years and didn't notice a difference. I placed a few patio squares for each tire....and all was good. Our guys who mowed did a good job not blowing grass on the plane....so it was fine.

. I too will be placing someting under the 3 wheels to help avoid the mud.
Do this.
I can tell you it takes 4 large guys to pull, barely, an F33 Bo from the slightest depression in grass. worst part is we had them in the plane, but there was beer to drink and these were buried under camping gear. (Osh)

I placed a few patio squares under each wheel to avoid mud. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Back