Long term hangar space at KMDW

kc310r

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kc310r
'Any Chicagoland pilots know of what is available at MDW on a long term basis that would house a C340? I'm likely to become a weekly commuter early next spring and Midway would be the most convenient home for me.

Thanks!

My father in law used to keep his Seneca on tiedown on the South edge of Midway. I don't recall the FBO name, but looking at the airnav site, it was probably Atlantic or maybe Odyssey. I know hangar space was at premium then, and in the years since, many bizjets have moved their base to MDW. That said, this was 8 years ago, so not exactly current info.

At the time, prices were really high, and I know they've gone up. Where is your destination? It might be quite a bit more cost effective to keep the 340 at a satellite airport and take the Metra to the city.

http://www.metrarail.com

'Any Chicagoland pilots know of what is available at MDW on a long term basis that would house a C340? I'm likely to become a weekly commuter early next spring and Midway would be the most convenient home for me.

Thanks!

Thanks Nathan,

The tiedowns are likely at Atlantic as that's where a lot of the Miegs folks ended up. My office will be at the south end of the loop (LaSalle and Jackson) so its convenient to reach by Metra if all else fails. I used to fly into DuPage with some frequency but the transportation between the rail station and the FBO was spotty at best.

I heard recently that there is a small contingent of non-Chicago resident SWA pilots who fly in and base out of Chicago. I'm going to try to find out what facilities they may have found.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any Metra stations that are co-located with an airport. Many are close, but not really feasible walks if carrying gear.

That said, you're going to have the same trouble getting from the FBO at MDW to the Orange EL line. It is probably 1 mile along 63rd st and then up Cicero to get to the EL station.

Schaumburg is physically really close to the Metra station, which is about 1500 feet West of the approach end of RWY 11. That said, I believe it is going to be a convoluted walk to get from the FBO to the Metra. I'd expect at least 1, to 1.5 miles. Schaumburg doesn't have IFR approaches, so that could be an issue. Although, plenty of pilots shoot the ILS10 into DPA, go missed and fly ENE to get to Schaumburg.

Lake in the Hills is about 2.5 miles from the Pingree Road station. Big shared hangars are available here, as well as some t-hangars, although I don't think those would accomodate a 340.

Sounds like you already know the scoop for DuPage.

Thanks Nathan,

The tiedowns are likely at Atlantic as that's where a lot of the Miegs folks ended up. My office will be at the south end of the loop (LaSalle and Jackson) so its convenient to reach by Metra if all else fails. I used to fly into DuPage with some frequency but the transportation between the rail station and the FBO was spotty at best.

I heard recently that there is a small contingent of non-Chicago resident SWA pilots who fly in and base out of Chicago. I'm going to try to find out what facilities they may have found.

Thanks Nathan. There are a lot of options to consider but you are right, nothing is really close enough to walk. Oh well; flying is expensive, right?

Back