Long Solo Commercial X-Country

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
I just want to make sure I'm reading this right.

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point

This is not required to be VFR like other flights for the comm correct? I can file IFR and still count this toward my comm training...unlike the dual x-countries that are required to be VFR. The only stipulation is that one leg is 250nm straight line from destination as opposed to 250nm via airways. It's been a long day at work, and I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something before dumping $$$ for 4 hours of hobbs time.

**edit** I forgot to add...'landings at a minimum of three points' I am planning LZU-MYR-AHN-LZU. I assume that is landing at 3 points even though the third landing is at my point of departure. *sigh* I'm tired...this will all be much more clear in the morning.

Last edited:
121Dispatch said:
This is not required to be VFR
Correct.
like other flights for the comm correct?
Some flights must be VFR (the two 100 nm XC's in 61.129(a)(3)(iii) and (iv)), some flights must be solo (all flights listed in 61.129(a)(4)), some flights must be with an instructor (all flights listed in 61.129(a)(3)), and some flights must be logged in the PIC column (all flights for 61.129(a)(2)) whether you're actually the PIC or not.
I can file IFR and still count this toward my comm training...unlike the dual x-countries that are required to be VFR.
Right.
The only stipulation is that one leg is 250nm straight line from destination as opposed to 250nm via airways.
Right. But one flight won't cover both, since the 250nm via airways flight for the IR is a dual training flight, and the 250/300 nm flight for the commercial must be solo.
**edit** I forgot to add...'landings at a minimum of three points' I am planning LZU-MYR-AHN-LZU. I assume that is landing at 3 points even though the third landing is at my point of departure.
Right -- a round-robin triangle flight with one of the points more than 250 from the OPD is OK, although this would be at least 500nm total distance. You could also count a 300nm straight-line flight where you took off, flew 100 nm, landed, kept going for another 100nm, landed, and continued for another 100nm -- 300 total, landings at 3 different places, and the last landing at least 250 from the OPD.

Ron Levy said:
.... the 250/300 nm flight for the commercial must be solo.
Right -- .

Just want to reemphaiss that. That means no passengers either. Put it in you log book as solo, if you do not have a column for marking solo add it in the remarks.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I did the SOLO trip today...6.1 in the logbook toward the commercial certificate. The duals trips are scheduled for tomorrow.

I really enjoyed my long solo X-C. I decided to do the triangle thing. I was able to do the whole thing w/o leaving NC. My route was RDU->HKY->RHP->RDU. I filed IFR for practice in the system. Since most of my flying is done out of towered fields it was fun to get my clearance on the phone.

RHP is in a bowl surrounded by terrain on three sides. The ODP and the summer heat made it a challenge to make contact with ZTL (Atlanta) Center in time.

Enjoy the flight, it's one of the best parts of the getting the rating... next to chandelles.

so, I guess my:
9D9-HPT-7K8-FSD-ECS-BIL-FCA-COE-EAT-SPB-MFR-CPX-L06-HII-BCE-CEZ-FMN-BGD-1K4-OUN-K68-CTK-3MY-9D9
would count? :D

N2212R said:
so, I guess my:
9D9-HPT-7K8-FSD-ECS-BIL-FCA-COE-EAT-SPB-MFR-CPX-L06-HII-BCE-CEZ-FMN-BGD-1K4-OUN-K68-CTK-3MY-9D9
would count? :D

Did you log it on one line or two?:rofl:

The longest I ever logged on one line was:

RST - TOB - DLL - OSH - DLL - TOB - STP - TOB - RST ..for about 8 hours I think.

jdwatson said:
Why and how did you do that ? Where's Paul Harvey when you need him ? :D

This July. 12 days - VFR (with the exception of about 80 minutes over Oklahoma to get through a broken layer at Norman) - 4500+nm

Have a CD with about 900 pictures and write ups of the whole trip on it.

Back