Long runway - landing on 2nd half

If I'm on a downwind entry, I'll even ask to turn base midfield/tower, typically gets approved.

Use the runway. Roll the 8000ft until a stop and save some wear on your brakes.

Even in my Comanche I can roll without brakes, and then have to ADD power to make the turnoff 2000' down the runway. I think I'll just land long, and still not use my brakes.

This is dangerous because if you have an emergency where extra runway is needed then you will find yourself regretting the 'land long' decision as you plow right into the wall at the end of the runway.

Your logic is flawed. What if you loose power on approach to the runway and land short? If you aim for the midpoint of the runway, you already have runway underneath you to land on. Either way, you clearly are not understanding the degree of risk (or lack thereof) associated with landing long on a very long runway.

...and add wear to your tires. What's the point of rolling 8,000 feet?

Another option to the OP is to fly a normal approach and "air taxi" the length of the runway, generally under 50 feet off the runway, to our desired touchdown point. Again, make sure you state your intentions to the tower.

Last edited:
I have never understood the "save the brakes" argument. I yank my 182 around all the time...it turns a lot quicker using the brakes too. I almost always use the brakes when landing on pavement to get off the runway quickly.

Nine years and well over 1000 hours later, my pads have yet to be replaced. That's definitely a wear rate that I'll accept in exchange for the convenience/maneuverability.

Maybe some birds have far less robust braking systems?

Last edited:
Used to request and be granted landing long at IAD. Even touching down 3/4 of the way down the runway still leaves three times the landing distance required for the Navion.
Even when not approved to land long I spot the landing at the 2000 foot mark or so. The first taxiway exit is 4500 down.

If we need more than 4000 ft of runway to land a 172 safely , perhaps we should spend a few extra hours with a CFI .

This is dangerous because if you have an emergency where extra runway is needed then you will find yourself regretting the 'land long' decision as you plow right into the wall at the end of the runway.

No more dangerous than if you're aiming for the numbers and have an emergency that results in you not being able to make it to the runway and having to land short.

The long and short of this entire thread is:

The only main concern is the tower dealing with the traffic behind you, so yes...let him know. Listen to the radio as you are approaching to have some situation awareness as to if anyone fast is coming in behind you and how close.

So how is that any different from a planned landing on a 4000ft or shorter runway with an aircraft that needs less than 1000ft for normal operations.

Know thy aircraft, and know thyself.

I routinely land and stop within 700ft in my normal aircraft, a Pawnee or glider. The T-41 takes a little extra, about 1500 ft on avg. Edit: less than 1000ft for a STOL landing is easily done.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure if you are required to inform the tower, but I think just about everyone agrees that it's a common courtesy.

It's like when you're doing pattern work. I, as a courtesy, inform the tower what I want to do (T&G, S&G etc) rather than asking for "the option". 90% of the time, I'll ask for a T/S&G and the tower will say "Cleared for the option", but at least they know what I actually need to do for that other 10% of the time when they need to give me a specific clearance.

When landing long, pick the spot where you will land further down the runway and make a normal approach to that spot. Just imagine the "numbers" are further down the runway.
I wouldn't flare at the original threshold and float over the runway to your new landing spot.

I wouldn't flare at the original threshold and float over the runway to your new landing spot.
Why not? It's wonderful practice and provides a great extended visual of and feel for landing attitude. Practicing this is a great way to improve landings if having problems.

One might practice it with an instructor first if intimidated by the idea.

I think all of you guys miss the point. Read the back of Multimediawill's certificate:

XIII LIMITATIONS

OPERATION AS PIC NOT PERMITTED ON RUNWAYS LESS THAN 8,000'

I think all of you guys miss the point. Read the back of Multimediawill's certificate:

XIII LIMITATIONS

OPERATION AS PIC NOT PERMITTED ON RUNWAYS LESS THAN 8,000'

We had that limitation imposed by SAC (Strategic Air Command) for airshow support in the B-1, and it had to be a dry runway.

Why not? It's wonderful practice and provides a great extended visual of and feel for landing attitude. Practicing this is a great way to improve landings if having problems.

One might practice it with an instructor first if intimidated by the idea.

+1. We did several of those on a 3100' Grass Strip during my Tailwheel training. Keeping the Champ 1'-2' off the grass for 500'-1000' was great for getting the visual picture when to pull back for three point landings.

Cheers

Tim,
I understand your point and it would be good practice. However, if you do what you're saying at KFRG on a busy weekend, the tower will speak to you.
There are usually 10 planes in the pattern and the tower has an expectation of you landing and exiting at one of the first 2 taxiways. Their sequencing of arrivals and departures would be thrown off.
At a busy controlled field I would tell the tower that I was planning on 4000' of slow flight 5 ft. over the runway. They can then work that into their sequencing.

Arrivals and departures are spaced out only minutes apart and floating down the runway will cause a go around or cause a departure to be cancelled.
If you've been to KFRG, you'll understand that you can be waiting to arrive or depart for up to 45 minutes, give or take.
Your practice would be wholly dependent upon the field you're landing at and the traffic density.

Tim,
I understand your point and it would be good practice. However, if you do what you're saying at KFRG on a busy weekend, the tower will speak to you.
I see how that would be an issue Rich. So, what you meant to say is?

I wouldn't flare at the original threshold and float over the runway to your new landing spot at a busy airport with 10 planes in the pattern. At the other 99% of the airports out there, it's good practice.

:wink2:

H$ll, I used to send my students on their long cross country on Boeing's 10,000' runway. One end to the other. None got lost!

H$ll, I used to send my students on their long cross country on Boeing's 10,000' runway. One end to the other. None got lost!
With enough of a headwind they'd have to stop halfway for fuel.

:D

Here's a video from a Carbon Cub flying the length of the 15,000-foot-long Space Shuttle runway at Cape Canaveral. At 80 knots that's a long trip.

http://youtu.be/xvlEjRcsZ1E

We land long all the time at FTG when Runway 8 is in use. The turnoff to the hangars is about 5000 feet down an 8000ft runway.

I thought you would have said Runway 35. LOL. My God, you land in Colorado Springs and taxi to Cheyenne on that one. ;)

With enough of a headwind they'd have to stop halfway for fuel.

:D

Here's a video from a Carbon Cub flying the length of the 15,000-foot-long Space Shuttle runway at Cape Canaveral. At 80 knots that's a long trip.

http://youtu.be/xvlEjRcsZ1E

Wow. Way cool.

Longest rwy I've touched down on was KMCI (Kansas City Int'l) R1L at 10800x150. Some day I'll need to get out to KSLN (Salina, KS) and try R17/35 at 12300x150 just for fun.

The former Castle AFB is now a GA airport. It's astonishing to see a 12000 foot runway that has been narrowed to 150 feet wide. It used to be 200. It's a former SAC base, built for B-52s.

One of these days, I'll overfly the big one at Edwards. :) I do know some guys who work there. I just can't imagine an 8 mile long runway.

I thought you would have said Runway 35. LOL. My God, you land in Colorado Springs and taxi to Cheyenne on that one. ;)

Speaking of COS I got 35R once(13,500ft), I called back and said 'oh come on, I gotta go to the west side it'll take forever'. They gave me the left and that was a lot easier.

The former Castle AFB is now a GA airport. It's astonishing to see a 12000 foot runway that has been narrowed to 150 feet wide. It used to be 200. It's a former SAC base, built for B-52s.

One of these days, I'll overfly the big one at Edwards. :) I do know some guys who work there. I just can't imagine an 8 mile long runway.

Most of the Edwards runway is out on the dry lake.

I was TDY there once with a B-52G. One of our squadron mates was coming through with an aero club aircraft on his way from Barksdale to Castle for upgrade training. The crosswinds were to great for him to handle on the standard runways. Tower sent him out to the compass rose on the lake bed, "pick a direction" they said. It was a long taxi back to the aero club parking.

Tim,
There are usually 10 planes in the pattern and the tower has an expectation of you landing and exiting at one of the first 2 taxiways. Their sequencing of arrivals and departures would be thrown off.
At a busy controlled field I would tell the tower that I was planning on 4000' of slow flight 5 ft. over the runway. They can then work that into their sequencing.

Arrivals and departures are spaced out only minutes apart and floating down the runway will cause a go around or cause a departure to be cancelled.
If you've been to KFRG, you'll understand that you can be waiting to arrive or depart for up to 45 minutes, give or take.
Your practice would be wholly dependent upon the field you're landing at and the traffic density.

This is why I fly out of Islip just 20 minutes away. Why anyone would wait 45 minutes to take off or fly such and extended downwind that there base to final turn could qualify for XC time is beyond me. I'll gladly use the airport with short departure lines and a reasonable amount of traffic! Sorry for the thread drift.

Yeah, didn't want to muddy the waters. 35 is kinda weird. But since you brought it up, here's the airport diagram.
If you land on 35, the taxiway to the rest of the airport is 8000 feet away at the end of the runway, and then another mile and a half of taxiing.

KFTGapt.jpg

Speaking of COS I got 35R once(13,500ft), I called back and said 'oh come on, I gotta go to the west side it'll take forever'. They gave me the left and that was a lot easier.

You didn't wanna go hang with 18 year olds with M-16s on the West side? No sense of adventure... Sheesh. :)

(Actually there is a military flight club and CAP ops on the West side so the general idea that Cessnas and what-not aren't over there isn't correct, but you get the joke...) ;)

Yeah, didn't want to muddy the waters. 35 is kinda weird. But since you brought it up, here's the airport diagram.
If you land on 35, the taxiway to the rest of the airport is 8000 feet away at the end of the runway, and then another mile and a half of taxiing.

KFTGapt.jpg

I've done more than one landing on 35 before with permission. ;) Wind was out of the north, airport was deserted, and I was playing with the STOL. Controllers seemed amused. :)

Back