Long Island to Quebec N/A

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
If I wanted to drive from Glen Cove, Long Island to Quebec and do it in the shortest time what route would I take? Are there any ferries to New Haven area from Glen Cove area?

Last edited:
IIRC, there's one that goes to Bridgeport, CT, Then you go up to Maine through Jackman. It's a long drive.

bbchien said:
IIRC, there's one that goes to Bridgeport, CT, Then you go up to Maine through Jackman. It's a long drive.

Isa that the ferry out of Orient on LI? That's too far out the island.

Where in Quebec? Montreal is not far. I used to do it all the time for weekend getaways from Weston, CT.

bbchien said:

Bruce, as you might suspect, is right.

Will the ferry be the fastest? Depends on the time of day. If you are planning something like a 4am departure you may have problems with the ferry schedule, and with little traffic you can make some time on the highways. But of course you will find out where the nighttime construction is before you choose your route, right? This is really important for transiting the City. Try www.traffic.com.

Assuming no construction delays (that's a big assumption, and also assuming you are driving) take the Long Island Expressway (I-495) westbound, follow signs to the Throg's Neck Bridge, to the Cross Bronx Expressway West (I-95 West) to I-87 North. Stay on I-87 until you are about out of gas and you should be able to see Canada from there.

-Skip

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Quebec City is the destination. My daughter lives in Glen Cove, Long Island and wants to intro her boyfriend to some family friends who live in Quebec City. I don't know their exact itinerary but she would like to make the killer drive into something more palatable.

I was looking at my atlas and thought if there was a ferry departing from close to her home it would be a more direct route and it would avoid NY city. The ferry could drop them off around New Haven, CT and it would be a straight shot on 91 through VT and into Canada. That assumes such a ferry and landing exists and it assumes an easy jump to 91 from the New Haven area.

Of course, if any one here is flying to Kay beck sometime soon and they happen to depart from LI....:rolleyes:

Richard said:
I was looking at my atlas and thought if there was a ferry departing from close to her home it would be a more direct route and it would avoid NY city. The ferry could drop them off around New Haven, CT and it would be a straight shot on 91 through VT and into Canada. That assumes such a ferry and landing exists and it assumes an easy jump to 91 from the New Haven area.

The Port Jefferson - Bridgeport ferry is the best one available from that route. It is an easy entrance to I-95 North from the ferry landing and that connects smoothly to I-91 in New Haven.

Having said that, it is a hike from Glen Cove out to Port Jeff, and with the additional time lost waiting for/traveling on the ferry, it will be faster (although more hectic) to drive all the way. This makes the assumption that the driving through NYC is not done at rush hour or any Friday afternoon.

-Skip

Back