Long IFR X-C COMPLETE!

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Long IFR X-C

I am so wasted, but jazzed up at the same time. Although I had flown a monster 3,000 (yes, that’s three thousand) n.m. trip this past summer, it just wasn’t the same thing as this 300+ n.m. trip. For one thing, my teacher makes the IFR X-C a final exam. If he has to intervene, you fail. Long story short—I didn’t fail. If you like reading, here’s the rundown.

Preflight:

This was the easiest part. I am quite accustomed to doing flight plans, and tend to do them for short trips of even 30 n.n., just for the practice. We went over the numbers and the specific approaches, and I got the seal of approval. I got the weather, filed, and out we went to the bird. My nervous headache was beginning to get worse, but I was excited.

Leg one: KBWI-KHGR

I started my timer and pushed in the power and was on my way. I went into the “soup” at about 1,000 AGL. (I guess my CFII was being a nice guy, and letting me enjoy some CAVU for a few seconds.) Very soon we were on course to EMI. Not much to report here except that we were making better time than planned. My CFII then informed me that we would be doing the ILS at Hagerstown, instead of the VOR approach. I’ve only done this once. Common sense, however, had dictated that I review ALL approaches for ALL airports. My CFII didn’t seem surprised to see me pull out my annotated plate for this approach. The approach itself went reasonably well, though not scintillatingly well. I was happy to get my two dumbest errors of the day out of the way: 1) calling Hagerstown Tower “Zlin Tower,” which had both my CFII and the tower controller laughing for several minutes, and 2) performing perhaps the worst landing I’ve done in about a year. I felt good, ironically, because I knew I had gotten the worst of the day out of the way!

Leg two: KHRG-KCBE

We were up in no time, and headed on the essentially straight leg west to KCBE with the infamous LOC-A approach. For practice, I was not allowed to use DME, which was disconcerting, but not a deal breaker for the approach. On the inbound leg, though, there was so much turbulence, that I actually momentarily got nearly a full-scale deflection on the needle. I immediately stopped descending while simultaneously regaining the needle. I haven’t done this since I first started IFR lessons, but I didn’t let it get to me. My CFII pointed out that this would probably have been a bust, except that I did take the correct actions for safety. The deflection happened fast, but only lasted a few seconds. I beat myself up over that one, but I know it will all come out in the push time preparing for the checkride. Aside from this, the approach was flown well, with no other mistakes. As a bonus, my landing was much better here—not as smooth in the transition from hood to visual, but with a smooth touchdown.

Lunch break.

Peed. Ate food. Debriefed. Drank two cups of coffee. Filed the next portion of our flight. Peed again. Refreshed.

Leg three: KHGR-KLNS

I was feeling more confident now. I had anticipated some gotchas on this portion of the flight (such as how to identify intersections with one VOR and no DME), and the navigation went quite professionally. The nice controllers gave us permission to intercept the final approach course about 40 miles out! I flew the approach at KLNS better than the others, never deviating more than one dot. Ahhh—much better.

Leg four: KLNS-HOME!

From KLNS we were given a heading to fly, followed shortly thereafter by the words we all love to hear, “direct.” This part of the trip went by fast. I was fully in swing, now, and I was also back on my home turf, having been up to Lancaster probably 15 times. The approach back at Baltimore was the once-dreaded, now-beloved VOR28 Circle-to-land Rwy 33R. We do this approach when approaching from the northeast, even when given the visual, because the controllers are used to it, they set you up for it, and you are essentially flying a right base, anyway. This approach was the very best with the needle stuck in the center, followed by my best landing of the day. As we taxied back to the ramp in the setting sun, all I could say to my CFII was “thank you for this experience.” He said that he’d had fun, and that I’d done well.

In sum, I’d give myself a B+ for the approaches and an A- for the navigation portion, which was really the main point. I need to be able to “become one with all approaches,” but never fear: we’re going to nail everything down. No procedural errors today, and aside from that one brief incident, I wasn’t caught with my pants down. I’m very happy I didn’t do anything dumb like turn the wrong way or dial in the wrong frequency—those can be real deal busters!

Last edited:
Great post! You know, you never nail it down. It's always like corraling sheep. You look where they're going and herd them in the correct direction. You get faster and faster until it appears the sheep are being obedient. But we know better and cannot be fooled. Sheep dogs Rule!

One last thing I always remind myself, and did on the ATP ride: if you don't have pitch, you ain't got __it. Nails the slope (almost) every time. "-)

Good for you, Ben! I liked reading your report, even though I still don't know what most of this stuff means. Hope I will before long. It sounds like it was quite intense and rewarding at the same time.

What happens next?

bbchien said:
Great post! You know, you never nail it down. It's always like corraling sheep. You look where they're going and herd them in the correct direction. You get faster and faster until it appears the sheep are being obedient. But we know better and cannot be fooled. Sheep dogs Rule!

One last thing I always remind myself, and did on the ATP ride: if you don't have pitch, you ain't got __it. Nails the slope (almost) every time. "-)

Thanks, Bruce. As always, I've taken your words to heart!

Toby said:
Good for you, Ben! I liked reading your report, even though I still don't know what most of this stuff means. Hope I will before long. It sounds like it was quite intense and rewarding at the same time.

What happens next?

Well, I need to meet with my CFII for a couple of hours for a debrief and re-run of some of the approaches on the sim, just to wrap that phase up. Then I'm out for a week. When I get back, I have a concert. So, after 10 April, I'm making the push to the finish line. Probably a slow push, then one intense week in May. . . .

LOL--that's almost as good as "Zlin Tower!" Yeah, my mind is fried!

Sounds like you did all right to me, Ben. I guess you're just a hop, skip and checkride from the IR. BTW I doubt that a DE would have pink slipped you for one brief pegging of the needle in turbulence as long as you were correcting promptly. Did you notice how much more smoothly things went as you gained some confidence? Remember that for the checkride, a PMA means a lot.

Sounds like a great flight and a heck of a lot of fun. I do like your writeups! Only question is why would a slip on the ILS (leg 2) be a bust if 1) you immediately corrected or 2) would a missed approach have been more appropriate?

Currently newbie IFR Stu and inquirering mind

I believe that the appropriate action if you get full deflection is an immediate "Missed Approach". But since Ben did not get FULL deflection, and corrected, I don't think it would be a bust. Had he gotten full deflection and not corrected or no gone missed - dedfinite Bust.

I, of course, defer to the CFII's on this one. :)

GREAT post Ben!

Greebo said:
I believe that the appropriate action if you get full deflection is an immediate "Missed Approach". But since Ben did not get FULL deflection, and corrected, I don't think it would be a bust. Had he gotten full deflection and not corrected or no gone missed - dedfinite Bust.

I, of course, defer to the CFII's on this one. :)

GREAT post Ben!

I'd be curious to see what any DE's would say about this and IMO a lot would be hanging on exactly what "momentarily" meant. If we're talking all or part of a second, and proper corrections were being applied, I personally wouldn't break off the approach immediately. OTOH if there were several seconds of full deflection especially a fly up indication, if I had gotten behind and as a result let the plane drift that far below the GS, or I was chasing needles on an ever diverging path, then I'd consider it time to bail out of the approach. IME there are times when the turbulence is so bad and/or the GS needle is jumpy (could just be an aircraft or vehicle too close to the GS antenna), that brief/momentary excursions of the GS needle is something you just have to deal with.

Ben said:
there was so much turbulence, that I actually momentarily got nearly a full-scale deflection on the needle. I immediately stopped descending while simultaneously regaining the needle.

I've only had three checkrides, but I think Ben would have passed. Full-scale means immediate missed. Almost-full-scale? I would think it a gray area...probably safest to go missed; but like Lance said...with nothing else bad going on...probably OK.

Ben, you sound like an instrument pilot to me! Congrats! I'm sure you'll do fine!

lancefisher said:
Sounds like you did all right to me, Ben. I guess you're just a hop, skip and checkride from the IR. BTW I doubt that a DE would have pink slipped you for one brief pegging of the needle in turbulence as long as you were correcting promptly. Did you notice how much more smoothly things went as you gained some confidence? Remember that for the checkride, a PMA means a lot.

Thanks, Lance!

This was a LOC-A approach, so no glideslope. If it had been a true full deflection, I really would have to have flown a missed. It was a beautiful VFR day with my CFII in the right seat, so I don't know. If I had just let it stay pegged or something, I think he probably would have made me fly the missed and come back again. Certainly, by myself in IMC, this is what I would have done. Around CBE, a full deflection might mean you fly into a mountain.

lancefisher said:
I'd be curious to see what any DE's would say about this and IMO a lot would be hanging on exactly what "momentarily" meant. If we're talking all or part of a second, and proper corrections were being applied, I personally wouldn't break off the approach immediately. OTOH if there were several seconds of full deflection especially a fly up indication, if I had gotten behind and as a result let the plane drift that far below the GS, or I was chasing needles on an ever diverging path, then I'd consider it time to bail out of the approach. IME there are times when the turbulence is so bad and/or the GS needle is jumpy (could just be an aircraft or vehicle too close to the GS antenna), that brief/momentary excursions of the GS needle is something you just have to deal with.

And I should cautiously add that with all the turbulence, there might indeed have been a full deflection for a moment when I was not looking. I learned a lot about mountain flying--so much mechanical turbulence on the approach, and it all smoothed out on short final!

RobertGerace said:
I've only had three checkrides, but I think Ben would have passed. Full-scale means immediate missed. Almost-full-scale? I would think it a gray area...probably safest to go missed; but like Lance said...with nothing else bad going on...probably OK.

Ben, you sound like an instrument pilot to me! Congrats! I'm sure you'll do fine!
Thanks, Robert! Yep, in IMC think I would have flown the missed--even with a 3/4 scale deflection--because I don't like to "play" with those mountains!

Back