Long EZ jet crashed

In the kit planes article, he said they tried to use carbon where possible. That’s a good idea and other designs (Berkut, Glasair III) went with carbon due to increased speeds. Thing is, in those pics, I see only fiberglass (with voids) and no carbon fiber. You’d think the wing would be the first place they’d re-enforce. Especially with the size of those winglets.

he was clear to point out this was not a Long EZ
this wasn't a LongEZ and neither LongEZs nor this airplane are built from what one would think of as a kit these days
Thanks.. this adds more context now and clarity

If changes to the structure or aerodynamics are likely to change the flutter speed or characteristics, or change the performance such that existing limits are likely to be exceeded, then one would be wise to test them
Makes sense.. so if I buy an RV10 but make the fuselage 36 inches longer, add more seats, add 4 feet to the wingspan, and hang a PT6 off the front then I can assume the original figures, etc., from Vans are no longer applicable

I always thought a 6 passenger beefed up version of a twin velocity with 550s would be cool.. but I know enough to NOT try that at home!

I know enough to NOT try that at home!
And the incident here points out exactly someone who lacked that sensibility.

Flutter is serious business. If you want to make some new plane go really fast, it is best to find an expert in flutter.

And the incident here points out exactly someone who lacked that sensibility.

Flutter is serious business. If you want to make some new plane go really fast, it is best to find an expert in flutter.
After reviewing the NTSB materials my thoughts tend more to construction techniques and inspections/QA than a lack of understanding of flutter. But that's just me. In-depth knowledge and understanding of predicted modes and speeds doesn't matter a bit if the airplane isn't built in the manner of the design as analyzed. *IF* the design was analyzed.

Nauga,
who knows FECU is not an insult

After reviewing the NTSB materials my thoughts tend more to construction techniques and inspections/QA than a lack of understanding of flutter. But that's just me. In-depth knowledge and understanding of predicted modes and speeds doesn't matter a bit if the airplane isn't built in the manner of the design as analyzed. *IF* the design was analyzed.

Nauga,
I read the build articles on this. I think the huge winglets were more to look cool than anything.

Nauga,
I'm right with you, and a flutter engineer would have said "stop you're going to kill yourself" if they did look at it.

I'm right with you, and a flutter engineer would have said "stop you're going to kill yourself" if they did look at it.
It shouldn't take an engineer to prevent or at least find dry layups. :eek:

Nauga,
and the matrix

I wonder where this leaves John Albritton's jet EZ project. It was also a "Jet Guys" project.

I flew with John at the airlines before he retired, but I haven't seen much about his project since the crash.

Back