Long Day....

bjohnson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Driver
I'm taking a 1999 Archer III 4147T from TN to AZ tomorrow.:D If we get tired we might stay a night in ABQ??

Current hops are:
CHA - MEM - ORK
ORK - HOT - BYP - F05
F05 - TXO - CYOTE - ABQ
ABQ - SJN - BARGN - CHD

Be sure to get some upset recovery training when you get to Chandler. There's nothing like a good set of aerobatic maneuvers after a couple days of flying a couple thousand miles. :)

Funny.... I don't see AUS on that routing! :idea:

And, where the heck is TXO?

In ABQ we stay at the La Quinta, which is close to I-40 right in downtown. Even though it is in the heart of the city, it sits a good distance off the highway. We slept well. There is a very good breakfast there, too.
I am not sure how you would get from the airport to the La Quinta.
ApacheBob

Be sure to get some upset recovery training when you get to Chandler. There's nothing like a good set of aerobatic maneuvers after a couple days of flying a couple thousand miles.

I just might! I see they have a Pitts on the Line B)

Right Here:
I get the impression you're trying to skip Stillwater, OK. Now, why would you want to do that?

Tristan is gonna be looking at the sky with a sad face. Actually, it looks like you're trying to avoid the whole state of Oklahoma!

I am trying to figure out why a Mooney-driver would fly a long-distance trip in a Cherokee...

Desire to enjoy something with a properly designed vertical stabilizer? :)

Actually, if you talk to engineers from Mooney, they'll argue that they're the only ones with a properly designed vertical stabilizer. Their logic is actually pretty reasonable. :)

Not to encourage you to fly more than you're comfortable with in one day, but once you get to ABQ, you're less than 2 hours from Chandler. By the time you get parked and to a hotel, you could be there. If you do overnight at ABQ, use Cutter, and they'll drop you at a hotel two minutes away. Fuel isn't cheap, but it's not outrageous either.

Jon

Sounds like a good flight Brent... be careful and have fun! Are you going to file?

Actually, if you talk to engineers from Mooney, they'll argue that they're the only ones with a properly designed vertical stabilizer. Their logic is actually pretty reasonable. :)
Their logic is incompatible with any semblance of style. :D

It looks like he's there. That's quite a trip in a single-engine, strange tail in one day.

And, where the heck is TXO?
You don't know TXO??? Consider yourself lucky. Just look south of any severe weather in that area and you'll find it.

I've had to say "request direct Texaco for weather" 3 times now. And I don't even live in Texas. That VOR is bad news in my experience!

-Felix

You don't know TXO??? Consider yourself lucky. Just look south of any severe weather in that area and you'll find it.

I've had to say "request direct Texaco for weather" 3 times now. And I don't even live in Texas. That VOR is bad news in my experience!

-Felix
Heck, I could fly a hundred mile wide pattern here and still need another two hundred before I leave the state!

Their logic is incompatible with any semblance of style. :D

It only took them 40 years or so to make it look decent, the Acclaim is a pretty attractive aircraft, at least to me. :)

The rest of the plane grows on you. What that means is that you learn to accept its ugliness because it really does fly very nicely. :D

I made it!! It took about 16hrs of flight time to get from TN to AZ. Once we got to CHD we jumped in a car, headed to lodging and we were back at CHD at 7:30am to test fly a Cirrus SR22 G3 Turbo. Wow is that a nice plane!B) We flew around for 2.5 hrs and then had a nice lunch at the Café on the field.

After hearing all the reviews of Chandler Flight School I decided to take an aerobatic flight in a Great Lakes Bi-Plane. OMG!!! I didn't know if I should cry, puke or put my hands in the air. After 45 minutes of non stop maneuvers I had to cry uncle. Straight and Level please.:yikes: Lets head back. After we landed I was told we exceeded a little over +6G's and -2G's. I managed to hold everything in but it took me a good hour on the ground to start feeling normal.

This evening I flew down to Tucson to stay with family. I'm not getting in another plane, unless of course someone offers up a joy ride:), until Wed when I head back to Tennesse in the metal tube.

Last edited:
Club sell the Archer? What are you replacing it with, or are you replacing it at all?

Signed,

Guy in club with Archers that might be sold someday soon. ;)

My club sold the Archer. They are considering a late model 172SP as a replacement.

I made it!! It took about 16hrs of flight time to get from TN to AZ. Once we got to CHD we jumped in a car, headed to lodging and we were back at CHD at 7:30am to test fly a Cirrus SR22 G3 Turbo. Wow is that a nice plane!B) We flew around for 2.5 hrs and then had a nice lunch at the Café on the field.

After hearing all the reviews of Chandler Flight School I decided to take an aerobatic flight in a Great Lakes Bi-Plane. OMG!!! I didn't know if I should cry, puke or put my hands in the air. After 45 minutes of non stop maneuvers I had to cry uncle. Straight and Level please.:yikes: Lets head back. After we landed I was told we exceeded a little over +6G's and -2G's. I managed to hold everything in but it took me a good hour on the ground to start feeling normal.

This evening I flew down to Tucson to stay with family. I'm not getting in another plane, unless of course someone offers up a joy ride:), until Wed when I head back to Tennesse in the metal tube.

Wow. Sounds like FUN!!!!! :D

Back