Long Cross Country Question

Thanks, I have gleaned some very useful information and tips.

I keep thinking I would take a bite of a Snickers and ATC will call. Maybe itty bitty bites. :yes:

It should be a great trip- weather looks wonderful. Flight plan almost complete.

Make sure you have the frequencys for eglin and tyndall if you are following the coast. They should just vector you right through might have to climb a little though.

Make sure you have the frequencys for eglin and tyndall if you are following the coast. They should just vector you right through might have to climb a little though.

I do and thanks for the thought. I am using Flight Following. Since its my first long xcountry, no need to add to the stress.

I do and thanks for the thought. I am using Flight Following. Since its my first long xcountry, no need to add to the stress.

When are you coming through Ferguson? I fly out of Coastal (a few miles Northwest) you may hear me in the pattern :)

Cold Apples - settle the stomach. One bottle of water is sufficient; never a good idea to dehydrate, gives you a headache and you'll feel crappy at the end of the trip when you need to be the most alert. A 2.5 hour cross country isn't really that long. However, to be a REAL pilot you must be proficient at hand-flying in IMC, hold +/- 100' and less then 1 dot of course, while peeing in a gatoraide bottle!

Granny Smith or other??

When are you coming through Ferguson? I fly out of Coastal (a few miles Northwest) you may hear me in the pattern :)

Some time Friday between 10:30 and 1 PM. Depends on when I can get my butt out of bed.
I want to try and lift off by 7:00 am. But may be a little later. Not because of laziness. lol

Most trips I take are to GET food, so at the most I'll bring a bottle of water. But I do remember a long trip where my wife made some chocolate chip cookies - they really hit the spot at about the halfway point. Too bad they weren't still warm, though, that's the only way they would have been better.

I always have a pee bottle handy. If I have to go #2 I declare an emergency and divert to the nearest airport. If i am nordo I pull my butt out the window and go about my business. :yes::yes::yes:

On trips with 3-4 hour legs at night I always take a thermos full of coffee and a bottle of water. To eat i carry a small cooler with sandwiches and other random food.

No, but I have filled it to the brim and wasn't finished :yikes:.

Love my Baron, it has a "pilot releif tube".... much easier to manage :yesnod:

I wonder if there would be enough vacuum pressure to run a tube out the window or a vent, and just pee out of the plane. As long as your not scud running, the urine should dissipate before reaching anyone below. I hope?

I wonder if there would be enough vacuum pressure to run a tube out the window or a vent, and just pee out of the plane. As long as your not scud running, the urine should dissipate before reaching anyone below. I hope?

Either that or a yellow ice cube will embed itself in someone's skull.

Either that or a yellow ice cube will embed itself in someone's skull.

This is not ideal. DNA evidence as well. I'm not installing a catheter. I guess I will have to try and not urinate on myself. Hold it in until my eyes are full. Maybe some Depends for Adults?

This is not ideal. DNA evidence as well. I'm not installing a catheter. I guess I will have to try and not urinate on myself. Hold it in until my eyes are full. Maybe some Depends for Adults?

You just had to drag granny's underwear in this....

I fly a glider ;). I honestly havent checked lately but ferguson is normally the cheapest.

I wont be flying friday :(

My CFI in Texas is a Glider guy. Trying to talk me into a taildragger rating and getting paid to take up planes.
I want my instrument before that.
The Flying Club here told me Ferguson was good price.

We will be coming back on Wednesday. This, if it works close to how i hope, we likely will be making this trip about every three or four months.

My CFI in Texas is a Glider guy. Trying to talk me into a taildragger rating and getting paid to take up planes.
I want my instrument before that.
The Flying Club here told me Ferguson was good price.

We will be coming back on Wednesday. This, if it works close to how i hope, we likely will be making this trip about every three or four months.

Cool, you'll find all kinds of cool grass strips along the coast.

Get a taildrag rating and you could tow banners too ;)

I eat Snickers. I was taught that trick by an old hunter. Generally getting loaded on all that carbs is not good for you, but this is what you want for a flight. One bar is enough energy for 6 hours or so. You won't feel fulfilled with it, but you will stay alert. However, I generally do not eat in flight, only drink. I have a bottle that I can operate with one hand, so I can drink in light turbulence (note that "moderate" turbulence actually means that your head is hitting the stringers all over, and "severe" means that wings are going to depart the fuselage).

+1 on the snickers. They satisfy for longer, and don't seem to give you the sugar rush/fatigue that other candy bars can.

If you want to pee all over the outside of your aircraft, go ahead. Just keep it away from the static port or the vent openings.

Personally, I need to stretch about as much as I need to pee. But I don't worry too much about these all-day no-break flying fests. I'd rather land every two hours, fill the aircraft tank, fill my tank, and empty it too.

Flew into Ferguson! What a nice bunch of folks. We got there and the credit card machine was down. They gave us the fuel on a handshake TO PAY WOW.

Thanks for suggesting we stop there. We told them you recommended and said thanks.

Lynn

Or get all over the side and tail of the airplane. Be sure to wash the plane after landing. Urine is corrosive.

Nope, you can tow gliders for compensation as a private pilot. FAR 61.113 and a letter of interpretation from legal from SSA are what you want to look at.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...interpretations/data/interps/2010/Umphres.pdf

I remember when that came out - the question to FAA was "can a PP log time while towing a glider, or is that time considered compensation?" (Not the exact words, but that was what the question was about.) There had been a comment on FAA letterhead several years prior that said that a PP can NOT be compensated for flying and that logging time did count as compensation. Soaring Society of America wanted an official ruling since it was getting harder for a lot of glider clubs to find towpilots.

In this ruling, FAA did say that it's OK for a PP to log time. I do know there was a lot of discussion over the interwebs about if that also included cash payments and I stayed out of that. My club owns the towplane, and only club members can fly it, and since club members own the towplane, the towpilot is flying his own plane, ...

Last edited:
Flew into Ferguson! What a nice bunch of folks. We got there and the credit card machine was down. They gave us the fuel on a handshake TO PAY WOW.

Thanks for suggesting we stop there. We told them you recommended and said thanks.

Lynn

The aviation community around here is very warm. Theres a few old grouches but oh well. :)

Nope, you can tow gliders for compensation as a private pilot. FAR 61.113 and a letter of interpretation from legal from SSA are what you want to look at.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...interpretations/data/interps/2010/Umphres.pdf

Interesting, my club still requires a commercial to tow.

The aviation community around here is very warm. Theres a few old grouches but oh well. :)

Your club insurance may require a commercial to tow.

A PP has always been able to tow, but the question was about compensation. Our club does require a commercial in order to take a person on a paid demo flight, but that's just for the PIC in the glider, not in the towplane. The towplane PIC is not carrying passengers or cargo.

When we fly long cross country trips I keep Chapstick in my pocket, flight bag, etc., because I don't want to be without it. We also bring bottled water and set a timer and drink every 1/2 hour. *Very important* No iced tea!

http://www.stadiumpal.com/

stadium_pal.jpg

Do you have any others a little farther west? From the time we left our home and arrived at 82 it was going on 5 hours. That is a bit much for my bride.
I was thinking about Trent Lott. Any comments?

Thanks

Do you have any others a little farther west? From the time we left our home and arrived at 82 it was going on 5 hours. That is a bit much for my bride.
I was thinking about Trent Lott. Any comments?

Thanks

I havent been to far west. I know of a couple private grass strips in alabama but they dont sell gas.

I'll be out at the airport tomorrow and will ask around.

Thanks Sean:

Has anyone flown in to BFM (mobile downtown)? I am looking for an apx half way point for EVB and IWS. Ferguson was very nice but quite a bit longer on one leg.
BFM is a bit closer to halfway.

Well the only guy at the airport today was unable to help. He flies from Key West to Pensacola every now and again to stay in Pensacola for a few weeks. Hes never been west of here either. Sorry Lyn. :(

Seanaldinho; said:

Insurance may require a commercial tow pilot if you offer rides to the general public. It's an insurance thing, not a FAA thing.

Back