in addition to the above I have now corralled
-spare mag
-alternator, alt mounting bracket, belt, Vregulator
-vac pump
-hydraulic pump
-bunches of bulbs and fuses
-relays
-cylinder assy for really long trips

With the Viking's small baggage compartment, are you actually able to take any luggage on your trips? :)

With the Viking's small baggage compartment, are you actually able to take any luggage on your trips? :)

I have never noticed a problem, Brad. When I get back from a city shopping trip with my wife, I often have trouble finding space in my truck to transfer all the acquisitions. I think it must be a perception problem.

You realize, the whole 'packing tools and parts on airplanes' is totally Karma-based activity.

Don't want your engine to crater? Carry a spare. You will never have trouble with it.

I have never noticed a problem, Brad. When I get back from a city shopping trip with my wife, I often have trouble finding space in my truck to transfer all the acquisitions. I think it must be a perception problem.

What year is your Viking? Maybe you have the lower baggage floor? Ours (a '72) runs out of baggage space quickly. Less of an issue when it's just two of us, as we can use the back seat, but our baggage compartment isn't roomy.

On my retirement bucket list is a long cross country to visit many of the sites in America I've missed over the past 40 years. I thought it wise to carry along a few spare parts. Among them a landing light, nav lights, fasteners and a spare tire and tube*. And of course the tools/manuals to install them. Any other suggestions?

*Main gear as of now (I'm looking for a nose wheel that will use the same size tire)

Credit card.

Hmmm . . . I went from WV to WY and back (over 1300 nm each way), my entire spare parts kit consisted of a few inspection panel screws, a quart of oil and a few paper funnels to help get the oil into the engine. And a couple of screwdrivers, a crescent wrench and Leatherman tool. I always have a pocket knife or multi tool in my pocket unless I'm flying in the airlines.

Back