Long CheckRide WriteUp (NE Texas sky no longer safe)

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
The skies of North East Texas are no longer safe for you poor folks that have to share them with me.:D

My instructor called the DPE Saturday to schedule the ride. In the conversation he asked if I would need to do a wheel landing. If he hadn't asked that question, maybe I would not have had to worry about it. The ride was scheduled for Wednesday 9AM. Until the checkride I was worried about the wheel landing.

Anyway, with that worry on my mind I began preparing Tuesday morning. The first sign of trouble was when I arrived at our little airport terminal building Tuesday and the tables were gone. I called the city to let them know they might have been stolen. They said that they had gotten them for their Christmas party and they would be back in place at 2PM.

So, I spread stuff out wherever I could. I fought the printer there and ultimately went and bought an ink cartridge and just about overhauled it, but finally started getting printouts. This is an unmanned terminal, so the equipment is used and abused by all.

Due to my plane being overweight as well as the DPE being overweight, I was limited on fuel load. This meant that what should have been flight planning for direct to destination, I had to plan a stop. One of the candidate fuel stop airports is closed, so I had to start over with another. These alternatives don't have very good landmarks to use.

We didn't have any weather to practice wheel landings until early yesterday morning before flying to the airport for the checkride. I did a few that stunk. The only good landing that has been even close to what could be called a wheel landing was the one that Wayne from the forum did with me, and that was simply him telling me to fly 6" above the runway and when the wheels touched he told me to land it, at which point I just set it into a three point. That might could have technically been called a wheel landing. Maybe Wayne will comment.

When I got to the airport before Sunrise all nearby airports were reporting very low ceilings. By the time the Sun came up, my home field was clear, but not the destination where the DPE is located. My instructor and I finally headed up there thinking we would have to Scud Run. We could see the wall of clouds that turned out to be heavy haze, but we got under them okay.

Once I got it planned for the fuel stop route, my CFI called and he said to also do one direct as if I had no fuel limitation. This is the one we flew for the checkride after him checking the fuel stop route.

The DPE has a 140 and is an extremely experienced fellow who is known as a tough and almost rude (at times) DPE. In the course of getting information to enter in the FAA system, he saw that my Student Certificate had first been signed off for a 150. He said that because I had flown a 150, that he should just tear it up and throw it away.:eek: He is quite the old school tailwheel guy.

He got really upset when I missed a few of the airspace/cloud clearance numbers on the oral. He was quite pleased with my flight plan sheets. He obviously has seen this direct flight planned beaucoup times and he knew what everything should be.

After the oral, we took a break and then he sat in the terminal while I preflighted the plane. The clouds had cleared and it was a beautiful flying day with minimal rough air. He came out and asked me some questions after the oral. My tailwheel tire had been a little low on air pressure this past weekend and I aired it up when I washed the plane, cleaned all the glass inside and out and generally tidy'd up the plane Sunday afternoon. When I preflighted I kicked the tailwheel tire to make sure it was still aired up solid. He got a laugh out of me kicking the tire.

THEN, he had to make his way into the airplane. He's quite elderly, overweight and evidently with stiff joints. It was TOUGH for him to get into the plane to a point I was afraid he wouldn't make it.

He is a real lover of the Cessna 140 and I think I already indicated that he owns one himself. I learned a LOT about 140's that I have yet to have anyone teach me, so it added an additional learning element to my checkride.

We used runway 17 and when I came off the field I announced departure to the South East. I headed SE only momentarily before turning left to a North heading to the destination. I climbed to my altitude and held the heading dead on. I hit my first checkpoint smack on the money and then the second one smack on the money and had been holding heading and altitude EXACTLY.

He then told me the airport to divert to. I had been there before and it was hard to spot then so I was worried. I guessed the heading on the chart, but I of course had already measured it when looking over the chart the day before, because it seemed like an obvious diversion candidate.

I headed for it and guessed the distance. I told him what I expected to see on my timer when I got there. I was dead on the heading, time and got a couple of miles from it before I recognized it for sure. Most airports around here have open area around them, but this one doesn't so it's hard to spot, probably why he uses it.

Once I had it we turned off for maneuvers. I nailed the 360's better than I had ever done them before (thanks Wayne!) I did good S-Turns and around a point, but not spectacular. I flew pretty darn good under the hood, even surprising myself.

Then we were going along to the right of a HUGE field, at least a section (640 acres.) I noticed a high line through it about 2/3 across from my side. He cut the power and said land it. I told him I was setting glide speed and checking fuel, mags, mixture etc. and he said, "this low, don't worry with it, fly the plane." I made a good base and final for the field, but it was so big I could have been at 10,000 feet and got it in there easy. I staid well clear of the high lines and he asked if I had seen them. This emergency landing was a gimme.

He then said use the VOR to get back to the airport. I dialed in the OBS quickly and tracked the VOR like a Champ. I have been hit or miss on this in recent lessons, but I was really on my game for this one.

We went back to the airport and did all the landings and I knocked them out really good with two exceptions: When I slipped I had the nose up too high for him and he yelled at me, I mean REALLY yelled. I had been told by others that it was a guarantee that he would yell and carry on at one point or another. THEN I pretty much blew the wheel landing, but before we did it he indicated that he wouldn't flunk me on it, but he wanted me to try one.

We then went back in and went into the conference room with my instructor following. He then said that if I wanted my certificate that I would have to take his 140 home and leave mine for him.:D He told my instructor that I could fly real good complementing my VOR tracking and 360's (thanks Wayne) except for:

o I called a South East departure after take off
o I didn't lean for cruise
o I did S Turns and around a point okay, but it was a calm day
o I left my flaps up after one of the stalls and he had to point it out

He entered everything in the computer and printed my temp cert. He reminded my instructor that he needed to add the Tailwheel endorsement to the logbook. When I went to make an entry in my logbook I noticed that it would have been my Dad's 90th. Birthday. I lost him almost two years ago. I got a bit of a lump in my throat.

I filled the plane with fuel since it was 70 cents cheaper there and we came back to my home field. It was nice weather so there were several people out and about, and some of them knew I had gone for my checkride. I sure was glad that I didn't have to tell them that I had flunked.

Thanks for all the help, encouragement, the foggles and even flight instruction that was all selflessly offered to me by posters on this forum.

Doc

In the course of getting information to enter in the FAA system, he saw that my Student Certificate had first been signed off for a 150. He said that because I had flown a 150, that he should just tear it up and throw it away.:eek: He is quite the old school tailwheel guy.
I drive a tailwheel too, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreaciate the extra speed and room of a 150...

Wheel vs. three point. I found wheelies easier in a 120 once I got the hang of them.

Very nice; Congratulations!

Was this with Norm?

Hooray!!! Looking forward to your future adventures. Come down this way some time and we'll do lunch!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I guess you did well if it was adequate for a 140 snob (he is a snob; I also love 140s, but a 150 is basically a 140A with a nosewheel, and I like them, too... he should lighten up).
I'm curious about your simulated IFR... what do you have in that panel (aside from a CDI, of course)? Just horizon gyro and turn coordinator?

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I guess you did well if it was adequate for a 140 snob (he is a snob; I also love 140s, but a 150 is basically a 140A with a nosewheel, and I like them, too... he should lighten up).
I'm curious about your simulated IFR... what do you have in that panel (aside from a CDI, of course)? Just horizon gyro and turn coordinator?

He was making a joke about the 150, but he does prefer his tailwheel airplanes. I like a 150 as well, but I ultimately will be flying her out of a grass strip at my place, so I bought the taildragger with that in mind, and for the challenge of it.

The panel was custom built in the mid eighties in California Wine Country. It was done by someone and the plane given to their wife who earned her IR in her. It has a six pack and radio stack. I will post a picture, but it's not very good.

Doc

Attachments

• C140PanelNoTail.JPG
    C140PanelNoTail.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 54
He was making a joke about the 150, but he does prefer his tailwheel airplanes. I like a 150 as well, but I ultimately will be flying her out of a grass strip at my place, so I bought the taildragger with that in mind, and for the challenge of it.

The panel was custom built in the mid eighties in California Wine Country. It was done by someone and the plane given to their wife who earned her IR in her. It has a six pack and radio stack. I will post a picture, but it's not very good.

Doc
Nice radio stack for a 140. Congrats on the pass! Now you can really start learning.

About the DPE, yelling in the cockpit is never acceptable unless death is imminent (and even then, a calm "My aircraft" is much more effective). Unless you were bleeding off airspeed too fast in the slip as a result of not pushing the nose down enough, I have to say the DE was being a jerk about the whole thing.

Congrats again! I'm jealous that you got to earn your ticket in a 140! 400 TT and a Commercial ticket (almost CFI) and I have yet to get my tailwheel endorsement.

Last edited:
Nice radio stack for a 140. Congrats on the pass! Now you can really start learning.

About the DPE, yelling in the cockpit is never acceptable unless death is imminent (and even then, a calm "My aircraft" is much more effective). Unless you were bleeding off airspeed too fast in the slip as a result of not pushing the nose down enough, I have to say the DE was being a jerk about the whole thing.

Congrats again! I'm jealous that you got to earn your ticket in a 140! 400 TT and a Commercial ticket (almost CFI) and I have yet to get my tailwheel endorsement.

My goal is to be at your level in about 3 years. I retire in about 3 1/2 years and my goal is to have my CFI by then. Maybe some day after you've done some other things I can give you your TW in Miss Piggy. You never know how things can work out.

Doc

Last edited:
Congrats, Doc, I know your dad would be proud that you were successful and happy that you remembered him on that special day.

The landing drill works for both wheelies and three points, the only difference is whether you are in level flight attitude or three-point attitude as you fly the centerline at 6" above AGL. When you reduce power, the airplane will touch down in whichever mode you were holding prior to pulling the throttle.

Congrats, Doc, I know your dad would be proud that you were successful and happy that you remembered him on that special day.

The landing drill works for both wheelies and three points, the only difference is whether you are in level flight attitude or three-point attitude as you fly the centerline at 6" above AGL. When you reduce power, the airplane will touch down in whichever mode you were holding prior to pulling the throttle.

Thanks Wayne! I will not give up on learning wheel landings and your help and coaching is greatly appreciated.

Doc

I will not give up on learning wheel landings and your help and coaching is greatly appreciated.

Doc

I think that's aviation for most of us on POA. We find challenge in it and enjoy the community.

Congrats on earning the ticket and we all know it is just a "license to learn."

Congratulations! You need to come see our pretty part of Texas, now that you've got your wings!

Good job,Doc!! Your success inspires me and other students I'm sure.How about a "That'll do Pig" for Miss Piggy? (apologies to Babe)

My goal is to be at your level in about 3 years. I retire in about 3 1/2 years and my goal is to have my CFI by then. Maybe some day after you've done some other things I can give you your TW in Miss Piggy. You never know how things can work out.

Doc

Best of luck to you! 3 years will give you just enough time to really enjoy it and gain some valuable experience for you to pass on to your students. I couldn't tell from the panel picture, can you do your instrument in your 140 when that time comes? I couldn't quite make out whether the top VOR had a glideslope.

Congratulations Doc! I may have mentioned previously that I spent some time in a 140 as a kid, and have a soft spot for them. If it was anything like my checkride, leaving with that temporary certificate in your hand is quite a feeling of accomplishment!

Best of luck to you! 3 years will give you just enough time to really enjoy it and gain some valuable experience for you to pass on to your students. I couldn't tell from the panel picture, can you do your instrument in your 140 when that time comes? I couldn't quite make out whether the top VOR had a glideslope.

Yes, the top nav has a glideslope. Both CFII's at my airport have told me that the plane has everything I will need for my instrument rating. Now we have to see if the PILOT has everything necessary for an instrument rating.

Doc

Congratulations Doc! I may have mentioned previously that I spent some time in a 140 as a kid, and have a soft spot for them. If it was anything like my checkride, leaving with that temporary certificate in your hand is quite a feeling of accomplishment!

Yes, it is a feeling of accomplishment and it is just now "soaking in."

Doc

Last edited:
We used runway 17 and when I came off the field I announced departure to the South East....

He told my instructor that I could fly real good complementing my VOR tracking and 360's (thanks Wayne) except for:

o I called a South East departure after take off

What was he expecting, you to announce SSE?

About the DPE, yelling in the cockpit is never acceptable unless death is imminent (and even then, a calm "My aircraft" is much more effective)...

"my aircraft" consitutes a bust. Not sure about the legality, but I wouldn't have a problem with yelling as it can be considered a viable 'distraction' technique.

What was he expecting, you to announce SSE?

"my aircraft" consitutes a bust. Not sure about the legality, but I wouldn't have a problem with yelling as it can be considered a viable 'distraction' technique.

I had it in my head that you are supposed to depart the area 45 degrees to the left of the departure runway. I think he wanted me to announce departure of the area to the North.

Congrats pilot! That feeling of accomplishment is something that is difficult to explain to someone. They have to go through the process to understand. :yesnod:

Congrats!!!

Thanks for sharing your write up, they are always a good read and it brings back memories of my checkride. Oh, that permagrin takes a good long while to wear off :D

Doc
That's definitely enough bells'n'whistles to do the training and maintain currency and proficiency for "gentleman's IFR". And it's fairly modern. I've seen IFR-certed 140s and 170s with much weirder layouts, and much older gear.

Yes, I'm not looking to get an IR and then start travelling the Continent while considering myself ready to fly the clouds in a Cessna 140. I need the IR as a step toward my CFI. As an added bonus if I ever do accidentally find myself in the clouds, I'll have a better chance to survive.

Doc

Yes, I'm not looking to get an IR and then start travelling the Continent while considering myself ready to fly the clouds in a Cessna 140. I need the IR as a step toward my CFI. As an added bonus if I ever do accidentally find myself in the clouds, I'll have a better chance to survive.

Doc

Whether or not you actually plan to use it, you really learn alot and improve yourself as a pilot by getting the IR.

Congrats, Doc!

Nothing wrong with flying a 140 in the clouds! So long as its properly equipped.

I have been flying an IFR Cessna 152 that is /U. Got an Aera 510 with xm. Limited approach capability and range means no serious flying on "real" IFR days, but there aren't many of those. Here on the east coast there are plenty of airports with ILS and VOR approaches so its not so bad.

And congrats on passing your checkride! I encourage you to jump right in to the IFR training. No downside to it!

Doc

I live / have lived in that area for 10 years. Cool that you have a California Wine Country plane, assuming you mean Sonoma County or Napa County.

Congratulations!

Doc

Maybe I will still want a tailwheel endorsement in 5 years too. For now I'm happy that I can fly at all, haven't been able to afford it since October.

Back