Long CC, CSP, 75% power, or more?

ScottVal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
Hello,
I'm planning a long CC flight tomorrow with a rented Piper Arrow with CSP. There is forecast a moderate headwind. The POH says to normally cruise between 55% and 75% power. But what if I cruise a bit over 75% power, to try to make better time on my trip? Obviously I'll be watching the engine gauges -- CHT, oil temp, tach, manifold pressure, etc. What do you think? Do you risk damaging the engine when you cruise over 75% power?

-Scott

How high do you plan on flying? Are you even going to be able to make 75% power?

Good question. Because of the forecast winds aloft, I'm not planning flying high, so, yea, I will be able to make 75% power.

This is my first solo long CC in a complex AC. This particular question has been bugging me, and I was wanting to see what people on the forum thought about this.

I probably should have asked my CFII; it's a little late to call him...

Thanks.

Since drag increases exponentially with a linear increase in velocity, your fuel burn will increase as well.

Your best plan is to limit continuous operation to the customary 75% power and plan your flight for the least amount of headwind.

Fuel burn will be substantially increased (not exponentially, it's a power law) at the highest throttle settings. But I guess if it's a rental that you're paying by the Hobbs hour, you can drive it like one.

Fly fast in a headwind, slow in a tailwind.

Yea, there is the fuel-burn issue. My FBO charges reasonable fees and I like them, so why put them out of business to save a few minutes of flight time?

Fuel burn will be substantially increased (not exponentially, it's a power law) at the highest throttle settings. But I guess if it's a rental that you're paying by the Hobbs hour, you can drive it like YOU STOLE IT.
Fixed that for you.
As mentioned, depending on how high, you might not be making 75%. Also, leaning out the engine may help with fuel burn but may have you running hotter. The difference if fuel used probably won't be significant enough to break the bank. 7 vs 6 gallons an hour.
I was once accused of seriously leaning out the engine to save a gallon an hour. What they did not realize, I hardly ever ran above 2350 rpm nor did I ever lean below 3,000'. Why speed along and miss everything.
Enjoy the flight. Stroll, not run.

There is some risk of detonation above 75% power leaned. But you should see the temperatures and airspeed loss.

Hello,
I'm planning a long CC flight tomorrow with a rented Piper Arrow with CSP. There is forecast a moderate headwind. The POH says to normally cruise between 55% and 75% power. But what if I cruise a bit over 75% power, to try to make better time on my trip? Obviously I'll be watching the engine gauges -- CHT, oil temp, tach, manifold pressure, etc. What do you think? Do you risk damaging the engine when you cruise over 75% power?

-Scott

Wet Rental? Redline throttle and MP the whole way, lean to 200 ROP.

Wet Rental? Redline throttle and MP the whole way, lean to 200 ROP.

Just out of curiosity, what if the same plane is an equity share flying club plane with a wet rental? I ask because I am in planning stages for a long CC flight myself...

Just out of curiosity, what if the same plane is an equity share flying club plane with a wet rental? I ask because I am in planning stages for a long CC flight myself...

If you have part of the equity WOT(or25" if you stay low), top of green RPM, 25°LOP.

Hello guys,
Time for the post-mortem. The head-winds were not as strong as I thought they'd BE, so I was able to cruise at higher altitudes, and the 75% power thing wasn't really an issue. Thanks for all the nice feedback.
-Scott

Now we know why no one wants to buy a rental. Let your conscience be your guide.

Now we know why no one wants to buy a rental. Let your conscience be your guide.

Doesn't matter with an Arrow or most planes you can rent since they are rated for continuous duty at full power. These are engines that put out around 1/2hp per cubic inch, that's low stress.

Last edited:

Rentals seem to get longer lives out of their engines than non-rentals. For the low powered engines, not really a big deal.

Fly fast in a headwind, slow in a tailwind.
That's weird, I usually end up going slower in a headwind than I do in a tailwind. At least it seems to take longer to get where I'm going.

But seriously, unless you're trying for max range and therefor flying at a rather low IAS the only thing you gain by flying faster in a headwind is getting there very slightly sooner and more points on the credit card you use to buy fuel.

Back