Long Beach to Catalina

HiddenGems

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hiddengems
What can be more fun then taking off from LGB fly over the Queen Mary and do some Island hoping?

Actually I'm not a pilot so there are probably plenty of things but I imagine that flight is fun.

Wish I'd done that last week. I did make it over Balboa, though. Saw a tall ship of some sort near Newport Beach, wish I'd gotten a photo of it.

Attachments

• balboa.jpg
    balboa.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 25
Minute 1: Takeoff from LGB after not borking the 12-step taxi instructions.

Minutes 2-5: Traverse the harbor, looking out for other hornets in the nest. S-turn because the cowling is in the way in the climb. Work ass off to avoid mid-air with like 3 other dudes. Get apocalyptically furious at the no-speaky japanese student who is trashing tower freq with nonsense and rendered any traffic alerts unreachable. Vow to pull a "reverse pearr harbor" when you become a rich and evil genius. Contemplate mounting paintball guns in the wingtips as a pallative in the meantime.

Minute 6-10: "Hey look, cruise ships!". Look for whales. Mistake a whitecap for a whale. Claim it, it's close enough.

Minute 11-15: Lap around the island. Look at Buffalo. Tell terrible story of how they got there. Salivate over upcoming buffalo burger, forget all moral indignation.

Minute 16-17: Land. Think "holy ****, did they just paint over the potholes? They raised the landing fee for that??" Look for a parking spot, end up in the dirt. Try not to sandblast neighboring aircraft. End up pushing the plane into the weeds manually, as there is no neighborly way to taxi in.

Minute 18: Pay the little king his $25 landing fee. Enjoy view of Palos Verdes, Pacific Ocean, Wildlife while sipping Arnold Palmer.

Yeah, it doesn't suck. :D

Minutes 2-5: Traverse the harbor, looking out for other hornets in the nest. S-turn because the cowling is in the way in the climb. Work ass off to avoid mid-air with like 3 other dudes. Get apocalyptically furious at the no-speaky japanese student who is trashing tower freq with nonsense and rendered any traffic alerts unreachable. Vow to pull a "reverse pearr harbor" when you become a rich and evil genius. Contemplate mounting paintball guns in the wingtips as a pallative in the meantime.

Minute 6-10: "Hey look, cruise ships!". Look for whales. Mistake a whitecap for a whale. Claim it, it's close enough.

Minute 11-15: Lap around the island. Look at Buffalo. Tell terrible story of how they got there. Salivate over upcoming buffalo burger, forget all moral indignation.

Minute 16-17: Land. Think "holy ****, did they just paint over the potholes? They raised the landing fee for that??" Look for a parking spot, end up in the dirt. Try not to sandblast neighboring aircraft. End up pushing the plane into the weeds manually, as there is no neighborly way to taxi in.

Minute 18: Pay the little king his $25 landing fee. Enjoy view of Palos Verdes, Pacific Ocean, Wildlife while sipping Arnold Palmer.

Mike,

You made me laugh coffee out my nose. thanks.

That sounds about right from what I remember.

What can be more fun then taking off from LGB fly over the Queen Mary and do some Island hoping?

Actually I'm not a pilot so there are probably plenty of things but I imagine that flight is fun.

Maybe taking off from WJF, flying over the San Gabriels, Santa Monica, LAX, Queen Mary, then Catalina. Return via Santa Barbara.

Or taking off from FAT for MMH, via Yosemite. Bring oxygen.

Around here, a good one in clear weather is WVI to HAF, over the Golden Gate Bridge to Pt. Reyes Lighthouse, right turn to O69 (Petaluma).

25 miles passes FAST at 150 MPH.

Yes, there are a ton of good flights around California, though the furthest south I've landed so far has been L35 (Big Bear).

Last edited:
Back