Lonely and Only Forgot Yacht N/A

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Pictured is the world's longest man-made breakwater, Rockland, Maine, leading from the edge of the Samoset Resort Golf Course to the lighthouse which is a one mile walk(I've done it on numerous occasions). I guess this could be aviation related because when approaching KRKD from the water the lighthouse is a for certain reference point, only a short distance from the runway.

Notice inbound of the breakwater the solitary boat.

In the 2nd photo if the "forgot yacht" appears to be non-seaworthy, how about just off the starboard stern?

HR

EDIT: The lighthouse is a historic location; and there's a gift shop inside it.

Attachments

• Rockland Breakwater.jpg
    Rockland Breakwater.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Rockland Breakwater Forgot Yacht.jpg
    Rockland Breakwater Forgot Yacht.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Rockland Breakwater2.jpg
    Rockland Breakwater2.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
It MAY be FLOATING, but it most certainly is NOT SEAWORTHY!!! :D

Pictured is the world's longest man-made breakwater, Rockland, Maine, leading from the edge of the Samoset Resort Golf Course to the lighthouse which is a one mile walk(I've done it on numerous occasions). I guess this could be aviation related because when approaching KRKD from the water the lighthouse is a for certain reference point, only a short distance from the runway.

Notice inbound of the breakwater the solitary boat.

In the 2nd photo if the "forgot yacht" appears to be non-seaworthy, how about just off the starboard stern?

HR

EDIT: The lighthouse is a historic location; and there's a gift shop inside it.

I like the second picture...the boat that won't sink and the boat that already sunk. I've seen the breakwater, but I never knew it had that kind of historical significance...I'm going to have to look for those boats when I'm on the way into RKD next time!

Last edited:
how about just off the starboard stern?

That one appears to be quite seaworthy...or at least it seems to be worthy of having a lot of sea onboard. Is that the S.S. GlugGlug?

Perhaps the world's longest groin, but certainly not breakwater. Long Beach Harbor in Los Angeles. That's about 13 miles long.

I own a place right near there (in the Samoset Resort)... I never knew that the breakwater was the longest man-made!

Cheers,

-Andrew

My wife and I stayed at the Samoset a few years BK (before Kids). It's so beautiful up there. The golf course has some great scenery. That whole part of coastal Maine is spectacular. We enjoyed walking out to the lighthouse as the sun went down every evening.

But what is it about the abandoned boats?? How about that schooner or whatever it is in Wiscasset?

I bow to your research. I suspect the Long Beach facility is decades newer than Rockland Breakwater's history. I first became acquainted with the long walk out to the lighthouse during the early 1960s, the facility already being 50+ years old at that time. It was, at that time, said to be the world's longest man-made breakwater.

For Andrew Stanley's notation, on the sprawling Samoset Resort properties of present, I so vividly recall the magnificent -- original -- Samoset Hotel. It was a Victorian grand dame in whose history horses and carriages -- later those things called automobiles -- used to deliver the wealthy guests who made it their home for the summer months. I tended bar there for a couple summers(but, of course, not in that era).

http://baharris.org/historicpolandspring/Samoset/Samoset.htm

Some of my high school classmates(Class of '62) caddied at the course and said, "That place is so old and dry it's a matchbox. If it ever catches fire they'll never be able to save it." Eventually, it did, and they couldn't. It was a sad day, a blazing erasure of opulent history. Our recent class reunion would have been in the current Rockland Room which we've used on numerous occasions; however, we couldn't get it for Saturday night.

HR

Last edited:
The Hesper and the Luther Little are long gone from Wiscasset. I have a 30 x 40 enlargement of them in my Marine Room. One of them still had four masts standing. I took the photo about 40 years ago. Stand by for a bit; I'll go upstairs and grab a shot of the picture.

HR

EDIT, with photos.

The painting in photo #2 is of the 30' sloop I used to have(before airplane mania hit me).

Attachments

• Marine Room1.jpg
    Marine Room1.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Marine Room2.jpg
    Marine Room2.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here.

I fixed the picture for you. :D

Wish I had photoshop at work

Attachments