London Aviation Underwriters - insurance

Roadracin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Roadracin
Anyone have any good or bad experiences?
Thanks.

Thats who is covering me now during my first year of complex. They took my money and required only 2 hours dual, and put high time limits on my open pilot clause, which is totally fine, I'm not letting anyone take my plane anyway. So nothing good per say and nothing bad. Will see in 2 months if they are going to up my rates so ill let you know then. Haha I'm told they are high risk insurers.

LAU insured my Maule for quite a few years, including a claim ith the airplane totaled (115-knot winds took the hangar apart...would’ve been really traumatic having my airplane wrecked had I not been hiding under the plow truck at the time.)

I can’t complain about their handling of the loss.

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. For my first plane, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being handled by The General of aero insurance.

Did your insurance broker give you more than one option ?

We had a difficult insurance situation a few years ago. The broker was trying to shop our insurance but was unsuccessful. Somewhere he mentioned that 'not even LAU was willing to quote you'. They are apparently one of the insurers willing to take on risks that dont fall into the usual cookie-cutter patterns.

LAU insured my Maule for quite a few years, including a claim ith the airplane totaled (115-knot winds took the hangar apart...would’ve been really traumatic having my airplane wrecked had I not been hiding under the plow truck at the time.)

What's this? You were under a truck in a hangar at the moment that the hangar was blown apart by a 115-knot wind?

Did your insurance broker give you more than one option ?

We had a difficult insurance situation a few years ago. The broker was trying to shop our insurance but was unsuccessful. Somewhere he mentioned that 'not even LAU was willing to quote you'. They are apparently one of the insurers willing to take on risks that dont fall into the usual cookie-cutter patterns.

8 declined. 2 pending responses. 1 more expensive and this one. I am a 100hr pilot buying a Cirrus with out a IR. (But working on that now) so I sorta expect a premium until I hit the IR..

I’ve been with LAU since I got my Baron. Had no issues with them as I upgraded to the Beech 18 and then added the T6.

On the last renewal, they were the only underwriter willing to write higher liability than the standard $1M.

I did not experience a premium increase on this year’s renewal (although I did mitigate the cost by lowering my hull values slightly to reflect current value than what I put into them).

8 declined. 2 pending responses. 1 more expensive and this one. I am a 100hr pilot buying a Cirrus with out a IR. (But working on that now) so I sorta expect a premium until I hit the IR..

Who is your insurance broker? 12 underwriters checked sounds like your broker is doing their job.

Sounds like you are LAUs target customer ;-)

Ask your broker to re-shop your insurance at the renewal. IR and hours in type should bring it down.

Also, if you havent done so, call Avemco. They are at times a good option for higher risks. Also, they allow(ed) you to cancel without forfeiting the unearned premium. So once you have the IR and some hours, you can have the broker re-shop and see if he can beat avemco at that point.

London won’t cover any bodily injury for your cfi.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences?
Thanks.
We have had a terrible experience. The company shut down communication and then denied coverage. A family member died and there was building damage and runway damage. We may have to sue and hope. Otherwise we mortgage our homes to pay for all of this. Not something we can recommend.

Back