LogTen Pro, anyone use it?

Mafoo

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mafoo
Anyone use it? If not but they use another log book on the iPad/iPhone, do they have a recommendation?

Thanks!

It's a great app. Expensive, but great. I have it on my iPad and on my macbook pro (on Dropbox). The sync between the devices is really nice.

It's a great app. Expensive, but great. I have it on my iPad and on my macbook pro (on Dropbox). The sync between the devices is really nice.

Cool. Thanks.

Not that interested at the moment in having it on more then one device, aside from having it as a backup.

I could get the universal version, so it would be on my phone and iPad at the same time, but there are times both those devices are in the same piece of luggage. One get stolen, the both get stolen.

Looks like when you sync with iTunes, it automatically backs up. So two devices, both with a backup, and then my iMac backed up, sounds like I should be fine :)

Looks like when you sync with iTunes, it automatically backs up. So two devices, both with a backup, and then my iMac backed up, sounds like I should be fine :)
I was really starting to like you, until you revealed your Apple computer side. It's over between us. Don't call anymore. And you can have your ring back, too.

Works here. Still keeping the paper logbook "in sync" with it also.

I was really starting to like you, until you revealed your Apple computer side. It's over between us. Don't call anymore. And you can have your ring back, too.

I make my living as a Microsoft .NET developer, if that helps.

However, sitting here with an MSDN license, meaning every single piece of software Microsoft makes is free to me, and then still choosing to purchase Apple software might sting a little, but don't think of it that way.

Can we still be friends? Let me at least give you the "it's not you, it's me" speech :)

I make my living as a Microsoft .NET developer, if that helps.

However, sitting here with an MSDN license, meaning every single piece of software Microsoft makes is free to me, and then still choosing to purchase Apple software might sting a little, but don't think of it that way.

Can we still be friends? Let me at least give you the "it's not you, it's me" speech :)
Best laugh I've had all day! :lol:

I have it on my ipad , iphone and ipod. You can wireless sync the devices. It is a tad salty, but I like the way you can customize it (fields) and swap between different styles of logbooks.

It does take some getting used to .

I use it and use nothing else. LogTen is awesome. I have it on my Mac, iPhone and iPad, it makes it so easy to track flights.

I have been using it since its release. I am VERY happy with it. I still use paper but L10Pro is my backup and currency validation. (It also checks my math lol)

lol, thanks everyone. I bought it, and migrated all my flights to it. So far I like it.

Anyone use it? If not but they use another log book on the iPad/iPhone, do they have a recommendation?

I use LogTen Pro - I have it on the Mac, iPad and iPhone.

I wish they'd sync up without me having to do something about it on both (/all) devices, but since I don't think Apple has provisions for such things in their API's, it'd have to go through the web and they don't do that, at least not yet.

As for other iOS logbooks - Basically, LogTen Pro is the only full-featured one. LogBook Pro, which is the main pilot log app for Windows, does have an iOS version but it's pretty much just something to enter your time in and then sync to a computer - To get all the features, you really have to have it on the computer.

Google docs syncs with everything, simple web-based interface that works with every browser i've seen, free, big enough company they will probably not disappear overnight, cloud based and my when I download a copy of my entire logbook for local backup/printing it's in a good ol' *.xls format, I can even save a copy in google docs or *.pdf if I want.

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread with interest. I've used both L10P and LBPro. Right now I'm using LBP on my PC and use my iPad for data input. I'm not very happy with my current setup. The iPad app is clumsy and slow. My PC is having issues of its own and added up my experience isn't equaling the money I pay for LBPs unwanted cloud sync service.

Sooooooo, has anyone used both LBP and L10 and would you mind sharing your side by side comparison results? I'd really like to use my iPad as it always there and I'd like the data to go in easily. I want nice UI. I will miss the LBP route browser that I used to make that nifty little map in my signature line. Oh well.

Time to go fly...

I haven't used both, however, L10P allows you to make a map like that in google earth (at least the mac version).

I'll give another recommendation to myflightbook.com. Its free and has apps for iPhone/iPad, Android (have not used) and even WP7. The apps sync data up to the website and between devices.

The website UI could use some updating, but its completely functional. There is support fo import/export via excel, so you can backup your data or take it with you to another service in the future.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

Sooooooo, has anyone used both LBP and L10 and would you mind sharing your side by side comparison results? I'd really like to use my iPad as it always there and I'd like the data to go in easily. I want nice UI. I will miss the LBP route browser that I used to make that nifty little map in my signature line. Oh well.

L10P has a map generator thingy. You won't miss it. ;)

I do think L10P without a Mac and the desktop software could be a little painful, though... especially if you're auditing, entering a lot of data, etc.

By itself with only the mobile App, not sure that would be a good experience overall.

I use LogTen Pro - I have it on the Mac, iPad and iPhone.

I wish they'd sync up without me having to do something about it on both (/all) devices, but since I don't think Apple has provisions for such things in their API's, it'd have to go through the web and they don't do that, at least not yet.

As for other iOS logbooks - Basically, LogTen Pro is the only full-featured one. LogBook Pro, which is the main pilot log app for Windows, does have an iOS version but it's pretty much just something to enter your time in and then sync to a computer - To get all the features, you really have to have it on the computer.

What do you mean about the syncing.? If you enable the sync over wifi feature, all you should have to do is hit the sync button on the devices and it's good to go.

That's if I understand your post properly.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

What do you mean about the syncing.? If you enable the sync over wifi feature, all you should have to do is hit the sync button on the devices and it's good to go.

That's if I understand your post properly.

It doesn't just happen - I have to open LogTen Pro on both devices I want to sync and manually start the sync.

I know that iOS/iTunes don't provide a way for developers to sync data automatically between desktop and mobile apps, but most everything is in "the cloud" these days because of that. If all three devices could sync with a LogTen web site, then it could happen automatically.

Of course, they'd probably charge a ridiculous subscription rate on the site too. :mad2: Buying the software itself is really expensive, but I really don't have a better option.

I'm also a little leery of creating sync conflicts since I have three devices, so I don't sync the iPad and iPhone with each other, I only sync to the MacBook Pro.

It doesn't just happen - I have to open LogTen Pro on both devices I want to sync and manually start the sync.

I know that iOS/iTunes don't provide a way for developers to sync data automatically between desktop and mobile apps, but most everything is in "the cloud" these days because of that. If all three devices could sync with a LogTen web site, then it could happen automatically.

Of course, they'd probably charge a ridiculous subscription rate on the site too. :mad2: Buying the software itself is really expensive, but I really don't have a better option.

I'm also a little leery of creating sync conflicts since I have three devices, so I don't sync the iPad and iPhone with each other, I only sync to the MacBook Pro.
This right there is the biggest pain in the ass with syncing iOS stuff. I can't count the number of times I've screwed up my music collection, and I would be seriously bent if something like that happened to something like a logbook.

Gotcha, now I'm tracking

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

This right there is the biggest pain in the ass with syncing iOS stuff. I can't count the number of times I've screwed up my music collection, and I would be seriously bent if something like that happened to something like a logbook.

How'd you screw up your music collection? That's the one thing that they have gotten pretty much right by forcing it to always go through the computer. LogTen not only syncs Mac<->iOS, it'll also sync directly from the iPhone to the iPad, which scares me a little.

The good news is, if you somehow did screw it up, the software author is awesome about helping fix it. And by that I mean "e-mail me the file" and it comes back a couple hours later, corrected and a patch for the bug as fast as Apple will let him release it.

I've used LogTen Pro for a while now and swear by it. It's a very well developed program and the syncing between all my devices assures me that even a triple gadget failure won't cost me my flying history.

A

I've been using it and am very happy. It's pricey but I went with it for the following reasons:

1) Sync to all your iOS devices (works with iOS7 and Mavericks)
2) Each device acts as a backup copy (I hate manual backups)
3) Smart Limits and Groups (you can set up FAR117 limits, etc)
4) They are going to be around....worth it to me to pay a little more for that peace of mind.
5) I'm an airline pilot and like the fact that it tracks duty day for me and counts down to my limits. If I update the landing time of a future flight I can see the effect on my duty day right away.

There's a short video on it at www.airlinepilothiring.net/pilotstore.aspx

I've used both and I much prefer LogTenPro. I could never get the LogBookPro to print the way I wanted it. It also irritated me that they had the iOS version for the iPhone but not for the MAC. I called them to find out when they would develop the MAC version and I was told, "never." So there you have it. I switched to a MAC shortly after and haven't looked back.

5) I'm an airline pilot and like the fact that it tracks duty day for me and counts down to my limits. If I update the landing time of a future flight I can see the effect on my duty day right away.
I use LTP and I have always wondered about this feature. As far as I can see, you would need to log each flight as it happens. Is this correct?

I use LTP and I have always wondered about this feature. As far as I can see, you would need to log each flight as it happens. Is this correct?

Just playing with it, you could "pre-log" a trip. Jesse showed me a tip I started using a while back... Locking records.

I use the Lock feature to say " I'm done. This log entry is correct and not going to he changed." So I can poke in both the outbound leg and the inbound with some estimated times and then come back later and tweak them, and then lock them.

Not exactly what you're looking for but it's pretty flexible software. You can do stuff like that or create your own "flow" that makes sense to you.

I also loathe the printing engine in it, though. It teases you with custom formats that look like they'd be nice as a printed logbook but when you print them, they look like ass.

I also loathe the printing engine in it, though. It teases you with custom formats that look like they'd be nice as a printed logbook but when you print them, they look like ass.

It's really easy to roll your own, though... I made one for my logbook (an ASA standard) that they didn't have one for, and it looked pretty decent as a PDF... I never put anything on paper, though, so can't help ya there. ;)

Just playing with it, you could "pre-log" a trip. Jesse showed me a tip I started using a while back... Locking records.
I like the locking records feature. As far as pre-logging, I'm lucky if I get around to post-logging a couple weeks after. I force myself to do it so I don't get too far behind. I'm guessing pre-logging would be the only way to use the duty time feature, that or logging immediately.

I've been using it and am very happy. It's pricey but I went with it for the following reasons:

1) Sync to all your iOS devices (works with iOS7 and Mavericks)
2) Each device acts as a backup copy (I hate manual backups)
3) Smart Limits and Groups (you can set up FAR117 limits, etc)
4) They are going to be around....worth it to me to pay a little more for that peace of mind.

There's a short video on it at www.airlinepilothiring.net/pilotstore.aspx
A new member for the Colorado contingent here!

Back