Logon Script to configure user Data Storage

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I would like to change the way my Windows Users save data on my home PC. I would like to discourage saving of files on the local HDD and only allow data to be saved on my NAS on a Shared Folder or a users’ HOME Share based on a rule set (by file type e.g. .doc files go (here), .xls files go (here), etc., etc. ) and/or user’s choice. However, I would like this to be pre-configured so it is transparent (or nearly so) to the user.

Internet downloads should go to the PC (in a pre-determined folder) as well as application installations, patches (and limited so that only the administrator can install), etc., but user saved data should go to the NAS without the user having to manually set this up. Exceptions should be allowed.

I’m sure this can be done with a logon script. I’m not too handy with them, but the script should ensure that the PC can contact the NAS, map the necessary network drives before enabling, as this script may also be run on a laptop and if it’s away from the private network then the user should be allowed to save data to an alternate (also pre-determined) location. If there is data in that location and the laptop is able to contact the network at next logon it should then prompt the user as to where they want the data moved.

Up next after this: Doing the same thing with photos on our Android and iDevices.

Back