Logistics of p&p

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with depression. It seemed to be situational and after a 90 days course of SSRI and CBT, I was considered in remission. I want to start flying again, so I applied for my medical knowing full well what the process would be.

Here's the problem. A few weeks after my deferral I began calling around for appointments, knowing the timeline would be tight for the psych testing, etc. No one would schedule without the FAA's request for more information. I now have that in hand, but they've given me 60 days. Neither the psychiatrist or neuropsych can see me that quickly, mostly because the FAA take up to 8 weeks to send records. I've already requested an extension.

Two questions: one, if it take 8 weeks for the FAA to send out my records, requiring me to send in documentation within 60 days on two evaluations that can't take place until the docs receive those records seems...impossible. Is there a reason for this overlap? Two, are extensions usually granted?

Actually, three questions. If I miss the deadline (which is dependent on the FAA more than anyone else!) can I reapply once I've done all the testing? I understand I'd have a denial on my records, but the timing of this process baffles me.

If you have not already engaged the services of a quality HIMS AME such as Dr. Lou Fowler or one of his colleagues around the country, I highly recommend you do so. Their guidance and counsel for this stage of the program may prove highly valuable.

the logistics baffle the FAA as well. the prinicipal holdback is getting the FAA medical record and they are way behind in producing that. So I say, back off, get your HIMS AME to identify the referral (we can't give out names- we get dismissed) and have him get your file ready, and order the record. The HIMS psychiatrist HAS to have a copy of the FAA record that has not been through you custody, to issue any report, or his appointment is in jeopardy.

B.

Last edited:
the logistics baffle the FAA as well. the prinicipal holdback is getting the FAA medical record and they are way behind in producing that. So I say, back off, get your HIMS AME to identify the referral (we can't give out names- we get dismissed) and have him get your file ready, and order the record. The HIMS psychiatrist HAS to have a copy of the FAA record that has not been through you custody, to issue any report, or his appointment is in jeopardy.

B.

Yeah, it's the long delay that confuses me, since everything hinges on it. I'm in no real rush, and I got my extension request sent in. Can't imagine what's in my FAA file with only three medical issued over 10 years, but that's life.

Will they confirm the extension is approved somehow?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back