Loggong solo time...

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
Logging solo time...

I don't have my FAR/AIM here but I assume there is a definition of solo flight.

Is solo defined as you are the only person in the aircraft, or the only licensed pilot in the aircraft?

For instance I took my dad up on Wednesday and he's not current, so there is no question about logging it as PIC, but I left the solo slot blank because I wasn't sure.

Last edited:
if you were flying with your dad, who is a licensed pilot, you are not flying solo.if you are flying with a friend who is not a licensed pilot, you are not flying solo. there is still another living breathing person with you, so you are not flying solo and cannot log it as solo time

It's not specifically defined in the regulations, but the FAA takes it to mean sole living human occupant, so you did the right thing. Corpses and dogs don't count, but babies do.

And please let's not get into a discussion on "unborn children". From an FAA perspective, they are an appendage of mom, not a separate human being, and no matter what your personal/ethical thoughts, that's just not going to change (nor would anyone like it if it did).

Solo only matters pre-PPL. After that it's just PIC.
Not quite. There are several specific solo requirements for Commercial, and while there is an exception allowing an instructor to be aboard, that's a very limited exception requiring specific logbook documentation, and it still isn't really "solo" time.

Not quite. There are several specific solo requirements for Commercial, and while there is an exception allowing an instructor to be aboard, that's a very limited exception requiring specific logbook documentation, and it still isn't really "solo" time.

Yep....those have never made much sense, either.

Agreed. Amazing question.

For you and the other guy who just can't resist being a dick to someone today, I know the literal definition of solo. But the FAA doesn't always define things in a clear manner.

For you and the other guy who just can't resist being a dick to someone today, I know the literal definition of solo. But the FAA doesn't always define things in a clear manner.
:rofl: And if they did, this site wouldn't have half the traffic it does.

How dare you ask such a ridiculous question! Sheesh!! Your a pilot now, you should know it all! j/k.. :)

I asked the same question to someone at one point or another.

Well, whether you think they make sense or not, they do exist, so solo and "simulated solo" time still have FAA significance after Private.

No argument....doesn't make them any less idiotic.

Well, whether you think they make sense or not, they do exist, so solo and "simulated solo" time still have FAA significance after Private.

"simulated solo"???

61.51 (d) Logging of solo flight time. Except for a student pilot performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, a pilot may log as solo flight time only that flight time when the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft.

OP - Is this an adequate reference? The logging of solo time only matters when you are a pre-PPL student.

It's not specifically defined in the regulations, but the FAA takes it to mean sole living human occupant, so you did the right thing. Corpses and dogs don't count, but babies do.

And please let's not get into a discussion on "unborn children". From an FAA perspective, they are an appendage of mom, not a separate human being, and no matter what your personal/ethical thoughts, that's just not going to change (nor would anyone like it if it did).

What if the unborn child becomes "born" on the flight? Can you collect pro-rata share for the newborn for the entire portion of the flight, or just for the portion of the flight after it was born? :D

To me, flying with passengers is _more_ challenging than flying alone. Not sure why the FAA cares.

To me, flying with passengers is _more_ challenging than flying alone. Not sure why the FAA cares.

There are things you can and should be doing while solo in training towards private and commercial certification such as stalls steep turns etc .
carrying pax inhibits such practice.
Carrying pax requires smoothness that chandelles and lazy eights develop.
While solo.

if you were flying with your dad, who is a licensed pilot, you are not flying solo.if you are flying with a friend who is not a licensed pilot, you are not flying solo. there is still another living breathing person with you, so you are not flying solo and cannot log it as solo time

But, when I fly dog rescue, altho there are other living, breathing entities, I'm the only one with thumbs *AND* able to talk to ATC, so I get to log solo time.

Bill, by your first take, we'd all be flying solo all of the time that wasn't dual instruction. It's not like it's the usual procedure to have a co-pilot in the plane.

"simulated solo"???
For example, see the wording in 61.129(a):
Ten hours of solo flight time in a single engine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board
This provision was originally added because FBO's had insurance issues allowing pilots pursuing initial CP with initial ME to go solo in a twin before they had their ME rating. It was later expanded to all classes when FBO's complained they had trouble getting insurance approval to allow CP trainees with no prior retractable time to solo the complex trainers. The CFI is supposed to just sit there and watch to make sure the trainee doesn't land gear up or something like that, but not to help in any way. Hence, "simulated solo".

Btw, my life insurance company wanted to know how many solo hours I had at the time of the application. So tracking solo hours after the commercial checkride might be useful. And potential employers might want that information too.

Btw, my life insurance company wanted to know how many solo hours I had at the time of the application. So tracking solo hours after the commercial checkride might be useful. And potential employers might want that information too.
Brings up another point...

Some aircraft insurance companies require some number of solo hours after completing a minimum number of dual hours before carrying passengers when moving up to a complex/HP aircraft. If something happens later to draw their attention, it might be nice to have those hours logged as "solo."

Yeah, that seemed a little harsh to me too.

There are no stupid questions. But there are people that want to make you feel stupid.

I am a pretty new pilot so I don't have the fully formed ego yet. Can't wait.

For example [on simulated solo], see the wording in 61.129(a):

This provision was originally added because FBO's had insurance issues allowing pilots pursuing initial CP with initial ME to go solo in a twin before they had their ME rating. It was later expanded to all classes when FBO's complained they had trouble getting insurance approval to allow CP trainees with no prior retractable time to solo the complex trainers. The CFI is supposed to just sit there and watch to make sure the trainee doesn't land gear up or something like that, but not to help in any way. Hence, "simulated solo".

Thanks Ron. I had yet to hear to term. And as explained, makes sense.

Last edited:
FWIW, I actually didn't know that. At least, I never really thought to even ask the question. Thanks for "braving it" and asking. I come here and learn things I didn't know I didn't know. :)

Tiff

Solo only matters pre-PPL. After that it's just PIC.

Interesting Question,
On the Ground when I am pre-solo Student I usually park the plane alone from the fueling station to the parking Spot So how does that time logged off the Hobbs ?:confused:

Interesting Question,
On the Ground when I am pre-solo Student I usually park the plane alone from the fueling station to the parking Spot So how does that time logged off the Hobbs ?:confused:

Not as flight time. The Hobbs is not flight time- only engine running time..
You will have to ask the aircraft owner/operator how to deal with that.

Interesting Question,

Flight time is "Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing."

If you're moving the plane from fuel to park, the aircraft motion isn't for the purpose of flight, so it doesn't go in your pilot logbook at all. (I think a mechanic is allowed to taxi a plane in that situation, etc.)

How the FBO wants you to log it in their book for billing purposes is another story, but probably as solo or rental-without-instructor time.

Flight time is "Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing."

If you're moving the plane from fuel to park, the aircraft motion isn't for the purpose of flight, so it doesn't go in your pilot logbook at all. (I think a mechanic is allowed to taxi a plane in that situation, etc.)
Correct on all points from an FAR standpoint.

How the FBO wants you to log it in their book for billing purposes is another story, but probably as solo or rental-without-instructor time.
Agreed.

Back