Logging XC with practice en route.

Hehe if I were reading your logbook and you logged 4 hours WITHOUT it being a X/C I would be thinking "Your doing it wrong." Unless it was in an aircraft certified for aerobatics. Of course then the aerobatic fuel tank probably won't last you more than a half hour anyway..

<---<^>--->

I can think of plenty of times when you go out for some instrument practice and do missed everywhere but when you get home! OK, 4 hours is kinda long, but not excessively so.

I can think of plenty of times when you go out for some instrument practice and do missed everywhere but when you get home! OK, 4 hours is kinda long, but not excessively so.
I once had someone come to me for IR top-off training. He said his long IFR cross-country was complete, but when I looked in his logbook, there was only one landing on the flight -- which ended where it had begun. Yup -- missed approach at every corner of the round robin. He wasn't pleased that he had to re-fly it, but there wasn't any other choice. I still wonder what he had to say to his previous instructor when he got home.

You, sir, are doing your duty as a student. This is the argument I've been trying to make for years:

1. A CFI is NOT an authority figure, but authority shall be questioned
2. Anything a CFI tells youstates as fact should be able to be backed up by written fact somewhere. If its not, he's lyingnot doing his job and is potentially spreading mistruths or opinion as fact.
3. Just because your CFI told you something doesn't make it true - you should always back up what you're told with investigation to ensure that you were told the truth, and you should ALWAYS go back and let the CFI know if you he told you a half-truth or a lie, lest he continue spreading false information to other pilots.

#3 is how we get stuck with stupid CFIs and stupid pilots that believe that flying the step actually works, or that you can NEVER slip a C172 with full flaps, or that you can't log cross country if you don't fly direct to the destination.

Note - the OP is not a "stupid pilot," because he asked. However, I would then challenge him to go back, get the facts, and confront the CFI with the truth. If the CFI balks at it, he should come back here and post the CFI's name, so we can get a crack at correcting him. Anything less is irresponsible, because God only knows what else that CFI is spreading as truth.
I've made what I consider to be corrections to your argument above. You do have a tendency to state things as black & white in a world full of greys! :)

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/authority+figure:
Noun1.authority figure - someone who is regarded as an authority by someone elseauthority - (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others; "the authorities have issued a curfew"
Examples of the control the flight instructor exercises are allowing or prohibiting solo flight, signing off for the checkride, etc.

Last edited:

4 hours of misseds.. Idk 2 hours at the most is about as much of that I can take. I have flown from CT to AL in 150hp 172 but at least I was going somewhere..

<---<^>--->

2. Anything a CFI tells you should be able to be backed up by written fact somewhere. If its not, he's lying.

Ive never met a CFI that "lies" ...lying implies malice. I have known some that were very misguided in their understanding of things...Ive also heard some extremely well thought out opinions/theories from CFI's that are nowhere backed up by written fact...just saying.

Back