Logging time?

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
I was just wondering about this? If you went flying with someone else and they're in the left seat and you are in the right seat, can you log the hours? How does that work?

If they are under the hood (you need to be a private pilot or better) or if you or they are a CFI. Or I suppose if the 135 OPSPEC requires 2 pilots, or its a two pilot airplane.

I was just wondering about this? If you went flying with someone else and they're in the left seat and you are in the right seat, can you log the hours? How does that work?

Only if you're the sole manipulator of the controls and they don't log the time. You can fly from whichever seat you're comfortable.

Only if you're the sole manipulator of the controls and they don't log the time. You can fly from whichever seat you're comfortable.

You have to be properly rated. IOW, a student pilot couldn't log anything. (unless, of course, the other pilot was a CFI.)

The question is too general to answer easily. Lots of factors come into the situation, including what ratings you have, what duties you have (PIC/SIC/safety/instructor), what conditions (someone is hooded), whether you are actually flying or not, etc. But generally speaking, on a normal everyday flight in a light plane, if you're just sitting in the right seat with no duties required by regulation, you can't log anything.

For more on what you can and can't log, see 14 CFR 61.51 in your FAR/AIM book.

If you're worried that you might become overqualified for that job you want, and are trying to avoid logging PIC time at all costs, I suggest flying with another private pilot. You manipulate the yoke, while your friend manipulates the rudder and throttle. That way, you're both safe from having to log PIC time.

So lets say I am a Private Pilot but don't touch the yoke or rudders, I cannot log the time if another private pilot was PIC? I can only log time if he was a CFI?

So lets say I am a Private Pilot but don't touch the yoke or rudders, I cannot log the time if another private pilot was PIC? I can only log time if he was a CFI?
If you are a Private Pilot and aren't flying the plane, the only way you can log the time is if you are acting as safety pilot while the pilot flying is under the hood. Then you can log the time the other pilot is under the hood as SIC time, or even PIC time if you are also acting as PIC. Examples of where you might be PIC while acting as safety pilot include flying with a pilot who doesn't have a valid medical, or you're in a plane in which you are covered by the insurance but the pilot flying is not. In such cases, you're acting as the legal PIC while the other pilot flies the plane.

One other way for a Private Pilot to be logging time while not flying is if you're acting as PIC in a 2-pilots required plane like a Learjet while the co-pilot flies the plane, but I suspect that's a bit farther in your future.

Back