Logging time during IR lessons

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Just had my first formal IR flight lesson last week. In my log the CFII wrote the time under BOTH dual AND PIC. Is that correct? I figured it would just be dual time. We were in simulated instrument flight and were not talking to ATC if that matters.

Later when I can use a safety pilot, rather than a full blown CFII, in the right seat will that change the answer?

Yes, it's correct, because you were the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which you are rated. Read 61.51(e)(1)(i). And yes, when you have a safety pilot in the right seat, you'll log only PIC time, not training ("dual") time.

Just had my first formal IR flight lesson last week. In my log the CFII wrote the time under BOTH dual AND PIC. Is that correct? I figured it would just be dual time. We were in simulated instrument flight and were not talking to ATC if that matters.

Later when I can use a safety pilot, rather than a full blown CFII, in the right seat will that change the answer?

Even if you are talking to ATC - operating under IFR - flying in solid IMC you'll still be logging PIC. I see instructors screw this up all the time in logbooks.

Back