Logging Taildragger time with no endorsement

But only the CFI renewal clock, not the flight review clock.
I never said it reset the FR clock, just pointing out that the system with subbing an additional rating for a renewal on an instructor ticket works the same as on a pilot certificate.

Last edited:
I never said it reset the FR clock, just pointing out that the system with subbing an additional rating for a renewal on an instructor ticket works the same as on a pilot certificate.
Pilot certificates never expire and don't need renewal.

Really....

1903.gif

:confused::confused::confused: Yes, really;
warner_curtiss_pusher.jpg

Lets read what I wrote again, "The first wheeled airplanes were tricycle."

See, when I write 'wheel' in front of airplane with an "ed", they get marri"ed" and go together. Together they mean "airplanes with wheels!" Yay, we got to learn how to use language today.:yesnod:

Last edited:
:confused::confused::confused: Yes, really;
warner_curtiss_pusher.jpg

Lets read what I wrote again, "The first wheeled airplanes were tricycle."

See, when I write 'wheel' in front of airplane with an "ed", they get marri"ed" and go together. Together they mean "airplanes with wheels!" Yay, we got to learn how to use language today.:yesnod:

Yes. And, like many other features of the earliest aircraft, designers soon realized the deficiencies of the design and corrected them. But apparently, those lessons learned have since been lost into time. :D

Right, but the deficiency went away with long paved runways. The early methods to compensate for lack of infrastructure were tail wheels and floats.

..and a small dolly that ran on top of those rails. Like the later wheeled Wright designs, it had no nose or tail gear, just the mains.

Henning's picture is a bit misleading. The 1911 Curtiss Model D is pictured. It however was not the first wheeled aircraft. However Curtiss did make a similarly tricycle geared aircraft, the June Bug (or Aerodrome #3), in 1908. The Wright's first wheeled aircraft was the 1910 Model B which had main gear and a tail skid (I guess we'll call that conventional gear).

This is the first wheeled aircraft

Curtiss_june_bug.jpg

The June Bug has a number of other firsts:

First use of Ailerons.
First use of "doped" fabric.
Winner of the First Aeronautic Prize (The Scientific American Cup)
First aircraft used in a movie.

Last edited:
Pavement just wears out my tires.

By no means am I anti turf lol. I went through a lot of trouble to make a fairway/runway down the side of my ranch; even had greens off it.:D Nothing better than a smooth well drained runway. Mine was one way and kinda steep landing south, T/O north, but it was well built on very gravely/sandy based (15 miles or so south of the Red River in Clay County at the prehistoric river bank) crowned, seeded with Bermuda and rye mix I got from the golf course at Shepard AFB:D After fertilizing and watering, when it was filled thick about 4" I put about 50 fertilizer spreader trailers of river sand on it and used a sweeper head tractor borrowed from the county highway department to smooth it out. I already had a hay rig with turf tires, so I let it go to seed twice fertilizing, watering, and cutting along the way. After that it was always good, better surface you couldn't ask for and the grade was pretty sweet to have because I had clear flood plain wheat pastures for approach and climb out with a smooth transition to about a 170' rise in elevation to a nice plateau. Gave me free gravity assist on bot TO and landing. A 20 kt or better S wind would let me get out on the bottom in the MM or light Ag Cat.

Now it's a goat and llama pasture....:rolleyes2::lol:

Pilot certificates never expire and don't need renewal.
Again. I never said that either. I'm pointing out that an additional rating to either a pilot or instructor certificate resets the flight review or renewal clock, respectively.

Last edited:
An instructor certificate does not count towards a BFR. If you want to add a BFR into it you would need to tell the examiner prior to the start of the check ride. Or more specifically the flight portion as I believe the oral will serve as the ground portion of a BFR.

An instructor certificate does not count towards a BFR.
Correct, but see below.
If you want to add a BFR into it you would need to tell the examiner prior to the start of the check ride. Or more specifically the flight portion as I believe the oral will serve as the ground portion of a BFR.
No can do. A flight review requires ground and flight training, and examiners are prohibited from giving training during a practical test. It would have to be done separately and in addition to the practical test itself. What can serve to meet the ground portion of a flight review is renewal of a Flight Instructor under any of the provisions of 61.197 -- see 61.56(f).

That said, if you're registered in the FAA Safety program, your flight instructor practical test (whether for initial, additional rating, renewal, or reinstatement) can be used to get Wings credit which can be used to meet the flight review requirement. See http://www.faasafety.gov for more.

Back