Logging Simulated Instrument 3 Years Not Current

SquigglyVortices

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SquigglyVortices
The Situation:
I need to build to 75 hours of simulated or actual instrument flight time and need an IPC eventually. I am working towards my ATP certificate, and I have just under 1500 hours. Most of my time is in VFR (banner tow).
I have a friend who is willing to act as a safety pilot for me (They are not a CFI or CFII).

The Question:
When wearing a view-limiting device in VFR with a qualified safety pilot, can I count the simulated instrument flight time towards the 75 hours required for the ATP certificate, even though I'm three years out of currency and they are not an authorized instructor?

My Thoughts:
My interpretation is the time would count towards the 75 hours required for the ATP certificate but would not count towards anything to do with my currency other than being more proficient for my upcoming IPC.

Correct?

Yes, all hood time counts toward the 75 hour ATP requirement, including when you were a student. If you were flying and wearing a view limiting device, the time counts and any other detail is irrelevant. And yes, the only way you can get current again after three years is an IPC or a practical test.

Although what you are planning is fine, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do the IPC first to knock off the rust. Then go out and work the system legally and proficiently.

Back