Logging Sim time

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
All you 121/135 folks who do regular sessions in full motion sims:

When you're logging the flight, do you log the time as flight time as well as sim time?

My few flights in full-motion sims are all logged as SIM and dual received time, but not flight time, based on the guidance of the sim instructor.

All you 121/135 folks who do regular sessions in full motion sims:

When you're logging the flight, do you log the time as flight time as well as sim time?

My few flights in full-motion sims are all logged as SIM and dual received time, but not flight time, based on the guidance of the sim instructor.

As Ron L is sort of fond of saying, Sim time is not flight time because it does not leave the ground. I pretty much log it like you do (when I actually remember to log it) except I don't log it as dual received.

I have students log it only as "Training Device" and "Dual" but that's only for instrument students. I treat it as ground time for primary students since it's usually more about systems, instrumentation and procedures.

Do you log landings or any other pilot time? PIC didn't apply to me as I wasn't rated in the aircraft. My entries have always just covered the approaches and any manuevers / procedures covered.

Do you log landings or any other pilot time? PIC didn't apply to me as I wasn't rated in the aircraft. My entries have always just covered the approaches and any maneuvers / procedures covered.
For instrument students, IPC or simply proficiency, we'll log the type of approach and what airport it was simulated for. Holds are included, of course. Tracking isn't specified due to the nature of approaches that include it.

No landings are logged because... strangely, they always go missed as published or as instructed by... well, the instructor. The last approach, I'll have them land for grins and giggles but it's not logged.

For Part 91 operators, per 61.57(a)(3)/(b)(2), the only way to log landings in a sim is in a Part 142 training course, and the sim must be specifically FAA-approved for landings. For day landings, it can be either an FTD or flight simulator, but for night landings, only a flight simulator will do.

So if you're getting typed at FlightSafety, you wouldn't log any of those landings in the sim, or is that a 142 course?

So if you're getting typed at FlightSafety, you wouldn't log any of those landings in the sim, or is that a 142 course?
FSI is a 142 school. I log sim time and landings and that's all.

Thanks, Mari. That's what I expected. I wasn't in a formal course so didn't log landings - and I'm not sure ATOP qualified as a course even if the training center was 142.

I have a column in my log book for sim time. Log the time in there; approaches made and anything else that shows criteria for IPC; flight review or whatever. I do not include it in my total time.

Best,

Dave

A long time ago, the editor of the FAA Aviation News answered a similar question by saying "The extension cord isn't long enough."

Bob Gardner

A level D sim is considered the same as being in the airplane. So we have been told when attending formal simulator training.

About 4 to 6 weeks after attending a 142 school (I go to simuflite and FSI) they will send you a copy of your training records. If you leave a line open in your logbook, then you can fill in all the data once you have the records. That way your records match your logbook.

I'm not. I took the ATOP course in a Level-D 737 Sim and was told to log it as sim, not to log the landings, but log the approaches.

I've also taken training in a Caravan sim and that was logged the same way.

I just wondered how consistent it was, and except for you, it seems to be consistent that you don't log it as flight time, but you can log landings as Ron and Mari noted above.

I'm not. I took the ATOP course in a Level-D 737 Sim and was told to log it as sim, not to log the landings, but log the approaches.

I've also taken training in a Caravan sim and that was logged the same way.

I just wondered how consistent it was, and except for you, it seems to be consistent that you don't log it as flight time, but you can log landings as Ron and Mari noted above.

What is the ATOP course

Ah, I stand corrected. And yes, the 737 felt like a fully loaded 206. Except for the climb rate.

Back