Logging PIC time, part 38

mtuomi

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
dera
This time with a twist. Just for the record, I would not log this, but this is a forum so I expect some interesting opinions.

FAR Part 1 Sec 1.1 defines "Flight Time" as:

"(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or"

Now, what if you taxi to the run-up area, and a mag fails. You cannot clear it out, so you taxi back.
The aircraft was moving under its own power, with a purpose to go flying. But it never takes off.
You are excercising your rights as a PIC.

Would this be loggable?

I'd say so. You were moving the plane for the purpose of flight, so why not? As a matter of fact, I was back from my last solo cross country and doing a few laps around the pattern to get to the minimum required solo time. I was taxiing back and thought I was going to have to go around once more, but the engine on an arriving plane failed just before he exited the runway. I sorta sat there for a minute or two, then slowly taxied back towards the hangar. By the time I got there, the hobbs had ticked over once more, enough to count as all my solo time.

Would this be loggable?
No. The regulation makes a landing a necessary part of a "flight". Otherwise, the "flight time" wouldn't end until after the aircraft stops after landing on its next flight, and that is a clearly absurd situation. So, no landing, no flight time. Now, that doesn't say you have to be the one to make the landing, but if the aircraft never left the ground, there was no flight time.

So are we using Hobbs time or tach time,wouldn't think the time is logable lif you don't actually fly.

This time with a twist. Just for the record, I would not log this, but this is a forum so I expect some interesting opinions.

FAR Part 1 Sec 1.1 defines "Flight Time" as:

"(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or"

Now, what if you taxi to the run-up area, and a mag fails. You cannot clear it out, so you taxi back.
The aircraft was moving under its own power, with a purpose to go flying. But it never takes off.
You are excercising your rights as a PIC.

Would this be loggable?

Key words "after landing" so no

I taxied out a few years ago and commenced logging time at that point but I never took off so I never landed. So I never stopped logging the time. I have tens of thousands of hours now. ;-)

-Paul

Citation?

FAR 1.1, actually. Since the Tach does not record actual time, and since the Hobbs is only accurate to a tenth of an hour, typically, the only truly accurate measure for flight time is a clock. Actual clock that records hours and minutes.

Citation?

See the opening post. Neither Hobbs nor Tach measures flight time as described in 1.1; of course, from practical perspective both are commonly used and I've never heard of an inspector having an issue with someone for logging hobbs time.

It is a sad day when we need 3 more minutes to qualify for part 121 minimums.

Citation?

cessna.jpg

Why would anyone use tach time for flight time? If there's no hobbes, use a watch.

Why would anyone use tach time for flight time? If there's no hobbes, use a watch.

If there's no Hobbes, there's no Calvin either.

If there's no Hobbs, use a flight timer (or watch).

Attachments

• C&H.png
    C&H.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 2
LOL

Tach plus .2 in all the airplanes I have flown, under normal circumstances, has worked out the same as what the Hobbs was. Good enough for me.

BUT not good enough for the purists, but, Oh Well.

I use my 430.

GS>30kts time. I don't worry about taxi time on either end. Probably cheat myself out of .2 every flight. But as I have 0 desire to get ATP, I don't care about time.

So, do I need to account for time dilation when logging my time? In what frame of reference should I record time?

Back