Logging landings

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
I am going through my Logbook and in the beginning I logged some landings (first three flights) but then my instructor stopped logging them. Question is when can a student log a landing and should I log the landings my instructor made?

Thanks,
Bob

rmciottijr said:
I am going through my Logbook and in the beginning I logged some landings (first three flights) but then my instructor stopped logging them. Question is when can a student log a landing and should I log the landings my instructor made?

Thanks,
Bob

I dunno if its right or not, but my CFIs (all 5 of them) have logged all landings as mine, even the ones they did. One CFI explained that since I'm learning the landings, I log them.

§ 61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

(a) General experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and—
(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls;

If you were the only person moving the flight controls you may log the landing.

FWIW, you must log both landings and take-offs -- most logbooks set you up for your first ramp inspection bust if the inspector wanted to be a nitpicker (no column for "take-off").

Last edited:
The FAA hasn't given an official response on who logs the "shared" landings involving both trainee and instructor hands on the controls, but I always give them to the trainee; I log only those I make myself. In any event, when I'm involved, the number of landings logged will be equal to the number of landings made, no more, no less.

:no: but I am going up tomorrow' we need to do some insurance stuff so we need to fly to do it. he he

Back