Logging Instrument Time under a Simulator...

thezoolityre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
thezoolityre
Hey folks, a question for you.

As a student, you go fly with a flight instructor in a 141 approved flight simulator to build time. WHAT DO YOU LOG?

I understand you log it as flight simulator time and don't put anything under total time or the ASEL column of the log book, but do you put dual given?? And if so,

What would the flight instructor log under his logbook? Would he even log anything at all?

Is there an FAR that specifies all this crap so I can have a tabbed out section in my book to reference the info whenever I can??

Thanks for the input

What I was told to put was what we worked on, holding, vor etc, Red Bird,
There is a column in my log book for Simulated time = total time
Then instructor signs and puts their note if any.

My understanding is that you both DO log dual --- that is flight instructional time (not necessarily airborne)
(Solo sim time is not logable)
Wait for Ron to return on the FAR cite

FAR 61.51(b)

(v) Training received in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device from an authorized instructor.

(3) Conditions of flight—

(i) Day or night.

(ii) Actual instrument.

(iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.

(iv) Use of night vision goggles in an aircraft in flight, in a flight simulator, or in a flight training device.

You can log simulated instrument in conjunction with training received in a flight simulator, FTD, or AATD from an authorized instructor.

thezoolityre said:
What would the flight instructor log under his logbook? Would he even log anything at all?

As a CFI, I never logged dual given when providing instruction in a simulator. I always felt that since the training was ground based, it didn't provide any additional benefit to me logging it in my primary logbook. It also doesn't contribute toward the eligibility requirements of 61.195 to provide training to a first time CFI applicant (200 hours of flight training as a CFI).

When I was instructing full time, I did however make a note of how many hours I instructed in the sim so I could discuss it with potential employers in the future.

You log simulated instrument time and training received, as well as all the loggable events (approaches, holding, intercepting and tracking). That's it, unless it's an approved full flight simulator (not FTD/ATD) and approved for landings, in which case you can log those, too. The instructor then signs for the training s/he gave you, per 61.189(a).

There is a column in my log book for Simulated time = total time
Most people use the "total time" column to log total flight time, in which case it does not go there. Some people use the "total time" column to log total pilot time, in which case it does. See 1.1 and 61.1 for the relevant definitions, and which3ver you do, keep it consistent.

Back