Logging dual received in a sim

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Another logging question....

Before I was always logging simulator time as ground trainer and dual received. Recently I was doing some research on this and found out that a lot of people log it as ground trainer only (so no dual received) because ground trainer already implies that it's dual received because it's can't be anything else. This kinda makes sense but logging dual received also makes sense. FAR does not clearly state how sim time should be logged and I could not find any of those FAA legal interpretation letters on the topic.
Does anyone know the proper way FAA says it should be done or it is just however you interpret the FAR?

Thanks

I always enter it in trainee's logs as training time ("dual") and sim time. The FAA always seems happy with that. Just don't put it as PIC or flight time, and remember that the total time column on the left is usually labeled total flight time.

That's what I've done... but lately I'm wondering as it seems the regs seem to differentiate between flight instruction received in an airplane, and ground instruction received.

I'm looking at my logbook from the ATOP B-737 class I took years ago - that time was logged as sim time and ground instruction received.

Looking at the regulations, though, I don't think it matters much as the requirements for certs and ratings specify "instruction" rather than "flight instruction" except for specific tasks where they may specify the training be done in an aircraft.

Another one of those places where things aren't perfect - is "dual received" = "flight training/instruction received"?

That's what I've done... but lately I'm wondering as it seems the regs seem to differentiate between flight instruction received in an airplane, and ground instruction received.
While sim training is technically ground training, I log it in the main section with all the flight time because the requirements for which it counts are related to flight hours. In addition, you accrue events for instrument currency in the sim, and again, that fits better in the main section. I log knowledge training in the Ground Training section in the back. It all just seems to fit better that way, and the FAA seems happy with it.

Out of curiosity, if someone got time in a F-16 simulator overseen by a USAF instructor pilot is there a way to log sim time received? Does the instructor pilot have to be a FAA-approved CFI? Does the sim have to be FAA-approved?

The reason why I'm asking is I've always been logging sim time as dual received but a few years ago I took a few lessons with one instructor who only logged it as ground trainer (no dual received). Technically I don't care how much dual received time I have, but if I do want to have everything logged the same way for obvious reasons. I'm thinking about just giving myself those dual received hours but I don't want to do it unless I'm 100% sure that it is the proper way to do it.

Out of curiosity, if someone got time in a F-16 simulator overseen by a USAF instructor pilot is there a way to log sim time received? Does the instructor pilot have to be a FAA-approved CFI? Does the sim have to be FAA-approved?

I took a few lessons in a C-17 class D sim and the instructor did sign my logbook, since he was a USAF instructor there is no CFI number.
Later I looked though the FAR and found that it says (can't remember where) that I can log time with a US military instructor as long as it's in a US military aircraft (sim in this case).

Perhaps someone who remembers where FAR says this could post the exact part number.

Back