Logging cross country time

I’m more confused than when I started the thread.
Well, your question got answered. Some questions you didn’t ask also got answered. All good food for thought on the general subject of ‘xc time.’ Do you have another question? Ask away. You’ll eventually get it answered and discover more questions to ask, which is a good thing.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, the CFR language defining "cross-country" for PPL requirements is:

Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (ii) through (vi) of this definition, time acquired during flight—

(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;

(B) Conducted in an aircraft;

(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and

(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under § 61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Seems clear. Cross-country time is any flight to a different airport, except for flights intended to meet the PPL experience requirements. For that purpose, it must include a landing point more than 50 miles distant from take-off.

There is no reference to full-stop landings, so it would appear that this is a requirement only for the one 150-mile prescriptive trip and the three mandatory full-stop landings and takeoffs under tower control, and not for the additional cross-country flight time requirement.

At the risk of sounding pedantic,
The only pedantic part is talking about the point-to-point cross country (landing, no distance), which is only relevant to Part 135 minimums, as though it's important in the context of someone asking about cross country requirements for their certificates and ratings.

...and then being wrong about it..
Cross-country time is any flight to a different airport, except for flights intended to meet the PPL experience requirements.
Let's make that "except for flights intended to meet the sport, recreational, private, instrument rating, and commercial experience requirements." The >50 nm distance requirement is there for ATP too although the "different airport" is not. Sport and recreational have shorter distance requirements, but they have one.

Last edited:
...and then being wrong about it..

Let's make that "except for flights intended to meet the sport, recreational, private, instrument rating, and commercial experience requirements." The >50 nm distance requirement is there for ATP too although the "different airport" is not. Sport and recreational have shorter distance requirements, but they have one.
Read the first line of my post. I was very specifically talking about the PPL requirements.

If I go outside a 50nm radius circle of my departure airport, and land, then the entire trip is considered a xc. That’s my take home message. Regardless if I play in the traffic pattern for hours, land at a bunch of other places or what not.

If I go outside a 50nm radius circle of my departure airport, and land, then the entire trip is considered a xc. That’s my take home message. Regardless if I play in the traffic pattern for hours, land at a bunch of other places or what not.

this makes me feel hopeful that if I'm ever applying for a position and I'm up against someone who logs hours of pattern work as xc time, that I stand a pretty good chance. have fun explaining that time to them.

If you go outside the 50nm radius of your departure airport and land, then the entire flight is considered a cross-country that can be used to qualify for a certificate or rating. That being said, the examiner will certainly talk to you about your cross-country planning and navigation skills, including how spending a month at the "distant" airport just over the hill doing pattern work and logging it all as part of the same flight that brought you there in the first place (some people are too liberal with logging "flights") contributed to those skills. You can fail the oral exam or the check ride by being incapable of planning and executing a cross-country flight, no matter what your logbook shows when you begin the exam.

As far as cross-country time for purposes other than qualifying for a certificate or rating, unless a regulation or third party (insurer, employer, etc.) says otherwise, the FAA defines cross-country time as all flights that land somewhere other than the point of departure. It doesn't matter how short the trip is. There's a recent thread (inspired by this one, I'd wager) about the shortest cross-country flights people have flown, and some are as low as a couple of miles. I've landed on runways longer than some of those flights. But they qualify as cross-country time for any purpose that a more specific requirement does not exist.

Anyone who really cares about your cross-country time is going to consider if your times make sense for real flying (e.g., if you average 10 landings per hour of flight and 99% of your time is logged as cross-country) and have a conversation with you about your flying.

this makes me feel hopeful that if I'm ever applying for a position and I'm up against someone who logs hours of pattern work as xc time, that I stand a pretty good chance. have fun explaining that time to them.
that's assuming you haven't already ****ed them off with your personality. :p

that's assuming you haven't already ****ed them off with your personality. :p

I usually get hired on my good looks alone. the charming personality is just an added bonus. :happydance:

I keep waiting for the one where a private pilot candidate tries to pass off 4 hours of touch & goes as satisfying the 5 hours of solo cross country time.

I suspect the confusion is some instructors want a full stop to get gas, and a signature that the student was actually there.
I don't think anyone actually wants students to get signatures as proof... I monitor my students' cross-country trips on FlightAware.

The FARs were never a problem for me - easiest part of checkrides. But then a career in California law enforcement prepped me for it. I was used to understanding, interpreting and applying complex laws that were often in contradiction with each other, and not written for comprehension by laymen.

Not to my knowledge. I started flying in 1968 and instructing in 2001. I've never known anyone who required signatures, but I have known some pilots older than me who had to do that in the 1950s.
I haven't been flying nearly as long as you, but that's been my impression as well. My instructor didn't ask for it in the 1990 when I was a student and never required it when I became a CFI. But you have to wonder if there's some enclave which still uses it when it keeps being brought up.

When I did my PP in 1979, it was recommended to do so. Probably based on the old requirement.

But no one questioned the need when I asked.

I think that might be within the letter but certainly not within the spirit of the rules.
There's a recent thread (inspired by this one, I'd wager) about the shortest cross-country flights people have flown, and some are as low as a couple of miles. I've landed on runways longer than some of those flights. But they qualify as cross-country time for any purpose that a more specific requirement does not exist.
Only if the flight "involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point." It'd be hard to make the case that some of the flights mentioned in the other thread met that criteria.

I think that might be within the letter but certainly not within the spirit of the rules.

Only if the flight "involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point." It'd be hard to make the case that some of the flights mentioned in the other thread met that criteria.
Doesn’t every flight involve one of those methods of navigation?

If you can see your destination airport from pattern altitude at your takeoff airport, I don't think that meets the definition of "navigation", even "pilotage".

If you can see your destination airport from pattern altitude at your takeoff airport, I don't think that meets the definition of "navigation", even "pilotage".
According to the PHAK, pilotage is navigation by reference to landmarks or checkpoints. An airport could easily be considered a landmark.

Ah, but it says "landmarks", plural, does it count if it's only one "landmark"? :rolleyes:

I haven't been flying nearly as long as you, but that's been my impression as well. My instructor didn't ask for it in the 1990 when I was a student and never required it when I became a CFI. But you have to wonder if there's some enclave which still uses it when it keeps being brought up.
I was in a rural airport in Indiana a couple years ago, and a student pilot in a tomahawk came in right behind me. I was in the fbo when he came in and asked the guy behind the desk to sign his logbook for his xc, so it still happens. My instructor just followed me on flightaware, but maybe the cfi in that case wanted to continue a tradition.

Not the worst idea to get them to experience finding the fbo and parking at a strange airport. I had to figure all that stuff out on my own, including self-serve fuel. Experiences that will be in my syllabus if I ever become a cfi. Not the signature, but things like tying down and sniffing out the crew car.

They have pilotage. I see the airport, I fly to the airport. Even though walking would be faster. :D

Back