Logged time in un-airworthy plane and taking checkride soon

That's a bit overstated.

I won't become a "real professional" pilot by flying into ice and stalling the elevator on final.

I prefer to learn from others' mistakes.

I didn't mean to imply that a person's own mistakes are the only ones he or she can learn from.

Ahh yes, very serious. Failure is not an option. We are supermen, us professional pilots.

Except for when we aren't.

By that way that hobby pilot, back when he worked for me, flew this route in a pilot's seat 7 times a month and spent the time in between exercising his other hobby license as a maintenance engineer.

attachment.php

You consider it super human to not fly past inspections??

If he was flying those legs he's lucky nothing happened, with his disregard for maintance.

AND he's a maintance engneer :hairraise:

I'd be looking over all his past work

You consider it super human to not fly past inspections??

If he was flying those legs he's lucky nothing happened, with his disregard for maintance.

AND he's a maintance engneer :hairraise:

I'd be looking over all his past work

Are you infallible?

Are you infallible?

No, however I haven't flown past inspections, it ain't rocket surgery, just called being remotely organized and being able to read a calendar/hours :rolleyes2:

At work we have lists before the preflight, the items even turn red if there past due.

On my plane I have everything in my calendar which is synced to my computers and my phone. On top of that I have a little moleskin notepad with all the mx due, oil added, VOR checks, GPS database dates etc.

Before I preflight I take a look, if you're not that organized perhaps you should stick to being pax.

Last edited:
No, however I haven't flown past inspections, it ain't rocket surgery, just called being remotely organized and being able to read a calendar/hours :rolleyes2:

At work we have lists before the preflight, the items even turn red if there past due.

On my plane I have everything in my calendar which is synced to my computers and my phone. On top of that I have a little moleskin notepad with all the mx due, oil added, VOR checks, GPS database dates etc.

Before I preflight I take a look, if you're not that organized perhaps you should stick to being pax.

I'm glad to hear that your employer makes it easy for you to get the information you need, and it's commendable that you have a good system for keeping track of those things on your own airplane.

I've chosen a place to rent from that makes it easy to keep track of maintenance currency, and the volunteer organization I belong to does the same. I try to recognize that I could slip up, however, since invulnerability is one of the FAA-identified hazardous attitudes. I also try to avoid making unwarranted assumptions about my fellow pilots.

I have flown airplanes that were missing various inspections, AD's, what have you, and missed it.

I have made mistakes on my tax returns and had to correct them and pay the penalties.

I have forgotten payments on utilities at some of our properties and gotten nasty calls from the utility company.

I have mixed up the spices that were supposed to go on our kabobs vs the kids' hamburgers and had some kids running for the water pitcher screaming.

I am not perfect. I make mistakes. None of these things are gaps in training or fundamental flaws, except for the flaw of being human. The OP also seems to suffer from this affliction.

I'd be willing to bet that mr/ms dead stick has some human tendencies as well, when s/he is not hiding behind a keyboard. Some people manage to be perfect in their own minds, but eventually there will be a gear-up or a bad icing encounter or something. Everyone screws up from time to time.

Yeah, it's not a big deal and won't likely get caught. The only way to turn it into a big deal if it does get caught is to try to lie about it. "Yeah, I know, I lost track of the date, as soon as I realized I quit flying it until it was back in annual." That's how you best deal with it if you ever would happen to get called on the carpet. It's a relationship, and like any other, the quality is heavily dependent on attitude. Show the right attitude (avoid displaying any of the 'Hazardous Attitudes') and things go smooth.

Well, consider this may be the OP's "learning moment" where he learns he needs to keep his **** together a bit straighter if he wants to be a pro pilot. His mistake can serve as part of his commercial training if he decides to learn from it. Never condemn a man for his ignorance, just his failure to learn.

Well, consider this may be the OP's "learning moment" where he learns he needs to keep his **** together a bit straighter if he wants to be a pro pilot. His mistake can serve as part of his commercial training if he decides to learn from it. Never condemn a man for his ignorance, just his failure to learn.

I like that Henning!!

BTW...I've borrowed it as my new signature line (with appropriate credit, of course). :D

Mike

that's nice for you

let's look look at a specific example. Some of the antonov's have 700+ repetitive inspections on various schedules which toggle from time-based to cycle-based to calendar-based depending on phase of the moon and who won the last world series. Much of the documentation on how to determine these intervals was not translated from Russian, of which I have a vocabulary of ~40 words all dealing with food and drink. I remember missing one of them 3 times in a row. It had to do with replacing fuses for the power to the loadmaster's coffee maker while they still worked, because the fuse elements fatigued. Not at the top of our list but the loadmaster thought it was a pretty high priority the days it didn't work.

Bottom of every page set.

True, but there is no reg requiring you to sign it. The only time you are required to sign for the number of hours you are claiming is on FAA docs, and maybe some insurance company docs. A CFI, on the other hand, is required to sign the relevant log entries for dual-given.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back