Logged My 1st Hour of Dual

garyb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
garyb
After a 3-4 yr hiatus, today I logged my 1st hour of dual instruction in the UAE. We departed Al Jazirah (OMRJ) and headed NE with the Persian Gulf on my left up to the north practice area right up next to the Oman border and got familiarized with the aircraft (A-22LS) and the local terrain and reporting points.

It was a blast but since I'm out of practice it was also just a tiny bit intimidating as I'm not sure what happens to you if you bust an altitude or an airspace restriction, but it's probably not good for your long term health. I was counting on my instructor to keep me out of trouble. She kept pointing out landmarks, occasionally adding "Don't fly over that."

My first flight was actually a few months ago. I started to climb in (just like I'd done with every instructor I've ever flown with) and he looks at me and says, "What are you doing? You can't sit in the left seat and log time until you've passed your background check." :nono: "Huh?" So that flight was just as a passenger.

I realized how lucky we are to be able to fly in the US. The airspace here is very regulated, but it's doable and it's a relatively easy process to convert a US license to a UAE one.

So next time, maneuvers and emergency procedures. If I ever figure out how, I'll post some pics.

Are you in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho?

Congrats on the Dual time.

After a 3-4 yr hiatus, today I logged my 1st hour of dual instruction in the UAE. We departed Al Jazirah (OMRJ) and headed NE with the Persian Gulf on my left up to the north practice area right up next to the Oman border and got familiarized with the aircraft (A-22LS) and the local terrain and reporting points.

It was a blast but since I'm out of practice it was also just a tiny bit intimidating as I'm not sure what happens to you if you bust an altitude or an airspace restriction, but it's probably not good for your long term health. I was counting on my instructor to keep me out of trouble. She kept pointing out landmarks, occasionally adding "Don't fly over that."

My first flight was actually a few months ago. I started to climb in (just like I'd done with every instructor I've ever flown with) and he looks at me and says, "What are you doing? You can't sit in the left seat and log time until you've passed your background check." :nono: "Huh?" So that flight was just as a passenger.

I realized how lucky we are to be able to fly in the US. The airspace here is very regulated, but it's doable and it's a relatively easy process to convert a US license to a UAE one.

So next time, maneuvers and emergency procedures. If I ever figure out how, I'll post some pics.

I used to live in Dubai before I got my license. Do you know if I can rent a plane and CFI to just go fly there for a couple hours as I visit the UAE often.

Flown out there as well. Beautiful when it isn't super hazy!

I used to live in Dubai before I got my license. Do you know if I can rent a plane and CFI to just go fly there for a couple hours as I visit the UAE often.

They do 'intro' and sightseeing flights and if you're a pilot, they'll let you fly, but it will be from the right seat and it won't count as dual until you've completed the background check. It is done online from a link on their website. You'll get an email in about 3 months, then you're good to go. They're pretty busy on the weekends, so schedule ahead of time.

Back