Logbook question

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Do I need to bring my logbook each lesson? Is my CFI supposed to write everything down, or am I?

Bring it to each lesson. Your CFI will fill in most of the information for each lesson. You'll have to keep the running totals and what-not accurate. Since you have 4.5 hours--has this stuff been logged and signed by the CFI?

my CFI was out of logbooks so on my last lesson we flew to AXH and got some. My CFI wrote down stuff in the book. Nothing was totaled up.

so once one page is full it gets totaled?
Yup. I do the totals in pencil so that I have the opportunity to correct any calculation or categorization errors without a whole slew of cross-outs on all subsequent pages. The entries themselves should be made in ink. I prefer black fine-point.

Before your training ends, your CFI will probably want you to enter into your logbook the lesson you had and then s/he will only sign it. It is important for you to be aware of what you are learning.

In fact, you might want to start making sure at the beginning of each lesson that you know what will be covered and at the ending of each lesson what will be covered in the next one.

Before your training ends, your CFI will probably want you to enter into your logbook the lesson you had and then s/he will only sign it. It is important for you to be aware of what you are learning.

In fact, you might want to start making sure at the beginning of each lesson that you know what will be covered and at the ending of each lesson what will be covered in the next one.

Great advice Aunt Peggy!

Early on, my CFI had me writing my own logbook entries. (I typically [and frequently!] consulted with him when I was unsure of how to document something.)
It was a terrific way to review the lesson - either in my own mind, or in conversation with my instructor.
It also prompted the question, "So, what are we gonna do next time?"

We always go over what we will be doing that day, and then what we will do next lesson.

Next lesson we'll be doing power on, and power off stalls, and ground reference maneuvers

Back