Logbook Question

Sebastian

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rasbes321
Okay I know this is a noob question but I'm confused about my logbook (brand new student pilot). Under "PIC" or "SIC" etc, for example, there are two boxes to log the time. The left one larger and the right one smaller. I am wondering if hours go in one and minutes in the other? Or is it a decimal system? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 16
Okay I know this is a noob question but I'm confused about my logbook (brand new student pilot). Under "PIC" or "SIC" etc, for example, there are two boxes to log the time. The left one larger and the right one smaller. I am wondering if hours go in one and minutes in the other? Or is it a decimal system? Thanks!

Your choice. You could use hours and minutes or hours and tenths of an hour. Most folks I know use the latter. I round to the nearest tenth. Pretty easy to do if you remember that 6 min = 0.1 hours. So, for example, I would log anything from 57 min to 1 hour 2 min as 1.0 hours. 1 hour 3 min to 1 hour 8 min would be 1.1 hours. I find it easier to do the conversion to decimal on a per flight basis because then totaling up the time on multiple flights is easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or just put the Hobbs reading in there. Subtract the Hobbs after the flight from the Hobbs when you started. Enter as a decimal the same way it's read on the Hobbs.

Your choice. You could use hours and minutes or hours and tenths of an hour. Most folks I know use the latter. I round to the nearest tenth. Pretty easy to do if you remember that 6 min = 0.1 hours. So, for example, I would log anything from 57 min to 1 hour 2 min as 1.0 hours. 1 hour 3 min to 1 hour 8 min would be 1.1 hours. I find it easier to do the conversion to decimal on a per flight basis because then totaling up the time on multiple flights is easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for the quick response, clears up my confusion perfectly

Back