Logbook - Flight Simulator Time

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Most logbooks have a column for time marked "Flight Simulator".

In the past I was told by a CFI at a 142 training center that only time in "real" simulators - those devices called flight simulators by the FAA would go in this column.

Example - I took the ATOPS course (www.b737.com) at UALs training center in a full motion Level-D simulator. I logged the time as Flight Simulator, Simulated Instrument Time, and Dual Received. I didn't log it as Flight time (not an airplane).

When I've logged time on a PCATD, BATD, or AATD, I logged the simulated instrument time, the approaches, Dual (if with an instructor), but not flight simulator time.

How do you folks log time in devices that aren't called "simulators" by the FAA in your log? The only reason I think it matters is that 8710 form separates SIM/FTD/PCATD time - on my last form I put all the BATD/AATD time in the PCATD column.

I log AATD time in the "Flight Simulator" column, write "AATD" in the upper left hand corner of that block, and log the time on LogbookPro (electronic) as "AATD."

I log FTD time in the "Flight Simulator" column, write "FTD" in the upper left hand corner of that block, and log the time on LogbookPro as "FTD."

I log AATD time in the "Flight Simulator" column, write "AATD" in the upper left hand corner of that block, and log the time on LogbookPro (electronic) as "AATD."

I log FTD time in the "Flight Simulator" column, write "FTD" in the upper left hand corner of that block, and log the time on LogbookPro as "FTD."
I like it... I'm logging FTD and ATD in logbook pro anyway.

Last edited:
It's sort of like logging XC time -- to do it so it's all sortable by the FAR's, you'd need seven XC columns. Likewise, you'd need about five columns for the various flight simulation training devices (the overarching FAA term for all that stuff) -- flight simulator, FTD, AATD (approved for 20 hours), AATD (approved only for 10 hours), and BATD. You've now got a need for ten more columns in your log to cover all XC and sim issues -- good luck with that.

Of course, the type of simulator is logged (e.g., Elite PI-135, which we know is an AATD), so you can go back and figure it out later if needed.

Of course, the type of simulator is logged (e.g., Elite PI-135, which we know is an AATD), so you can go back and figure it out later if needed.

That's the way my instructors have done it.

In my paper log book, I put it in the simulator column and changed the column name to 'AATD instrument training'. I've only used an AATD, so i haven't had to worry about mixing times. If I ever end up with time in a real flight simulator, I'll figure something out. I'm assuming that if that ever happens, I'll be past the point where it matters how many hours I have in each of simulator/AATD/FTD/PCATD/etc.

I didn't fill in simulated instrument or dual recieved as I felt my new title and the instructor's signature would make those parts obvious. Since then, I've thought maybe it would be better to fill them in with times in parentheses or something.

Incidently, the 8710 (at least the paper version) lists SIM/'training device'/PCATD. I think it used to be FTD instead of 'training device'? Either way, for my most recent checkride, I put the AATD time in the FTD/'training device' column (whichever it was at the time). The examiner didn't seem to care.

Back