Logbook Additional Fields

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
Seeing as how I plan to be a professional pilot in the future, what kind of things should I be tracking in my logbook in addition to the default columns so that when it comes time to add stuff up for advanced ratings and employment applications, I won't have to go through the whole thing over again?

My logbook has the current fields printed:
  • Date
  • Make/Model
  • Aircraft Ident
  • Route of Flight
  • Duration
  • [Category/Class] ASEL
  • [Category/Class] blank (rotorcraft written in)
  • Bunch of instrument crap
  • Sim
  • Landings Day/Night
  • Ground training received
  • Flight training received
  • X-Country
  • Night
  • Solo
  • PIC

The only thing I can think to add at this point is "X-Country > 50nm". Perhaps "PIC, non dual-received".

What kind of custom fields are you folks tracking?

Companies often ask for XC night PIC so that would be good to track. Separate columns for XC for 135 mins etc.

Employers don't care about your cross country time. That becomes an issue for your ATP, but most employers couldn't care less. If you're getting your first complex job, an employer may ask about retract time, and you may get asked about time in type (such as Cessna 200 series time, or time in a Baron, etc).

Keep your logbook neat; employers who look at the logbook make judgement about you based on the impression seen in your log. White-out, a mess, errors, etc, all say something about the person keeping the log. Be accurate, make sure that your logging of time complies with the regulation, and be familiar enough with your log that if you're asked about a particular flight or aircraft you can speak about it.

You'll find that after applying to a number of companies, there are nearly as many ways for employers to classify time as there are employers. One employer will lump all piston engine airplanes together, where another won't. I had four engine radial engine time that was counted the same as a 172, simply because it was piston. Others count all turbine together, while some separate it by make and model or turboprop and turbojet.

Be careful about PIC. Most employers view PIC time strictly as the time when you were the acting pilot in command. Time spent as safety pilot, or time spent sharing the time doesn't go over well with the majority of employers. Likewise, boosting time using a simulator/FTD doesn't go over well: many employes won't consider sim time as part of your total time. Some employers exclude rotor time, and other employers give extra credit for military time (as the military doesn't add in taxi time).

I've never met an employer that cares about solo time.

Some employers want to know how many hours you have in a "crew" situation; this could be an aircraft requiring more than one crew member by certification or operating rules, or it could be an instructing type environment.

I used to track my low altitude time because that was important to some employers, as I kept track of my ag time because I did that kid of work.

You'll be fine if you keep a standard logbook and don't get too fancy.

I beg to differ on the XC time. If you apply to a 135 gig they will want you to prove that you meet ATP mins.

I'd recommend starting early on whatever brand/type of electronic logbook you like and keep it and the paper logbook synced always.

That will make pulling up and sort of report on anything you want much easier later on.

My logbook has the current fields printed:
  • Date
  • Make/Model
  • Aircraft Ident
  • Route of Flight
  • Duration
  • [Category/Class] ASEL
  • [Category/Class] blank (rotorcraft written in)
  • Bunch of instrument crap
  • Sim
  • Landings Day/Night
  • Ground training received
  • Flight training received
  • X-Country
  • Night
  • Solo
  • PIC

[Category/Class] AMEL

Ya start an electronic logbook now. It makes it so much easier because it tracks everything automatically. Logten is awesome I totally recommend it.

I also log TAA time. No legal requirement, but helps me keep track of glass vs steam gauge time. I started this on advisement of an instructor when I transitioned to the G1000 a few years back. I also track it in LogTen, which is a cinch.

I log everything on my LogbookPro digital logbook and then transfer it into my physical logbook. I use the extra columns to log turbine, high performance, and complex.

What is the best way to log a multi leg xc ? Do you use a separate line for each leg ?

The way I have been logging my xc time was been one line , then total time , but kinda like this

| KRDG KIPT, KTHV | KRDG

If that makes sense in the generic paper logbook. But I noticed with log ten pro, it will not allow for that type of entry , it seems to want one line entry for each leg...

I followed my instructor(s) entries when it was a dual ..

What is the best way to log a multi leg xc ? Do you use a separate line for each leg ?

The way I have been logging my xc time was been one line , then total time , but kinda like this

| KRDG KIPT, KTHV | KRDG

If that makes sense in the generic paper logbook. But I noticed with log ten pro, it will not allow for that type of entry , it seems to want one line entry for each leg...

I didn't do it this way but in hindsight wish I had...

If you leave LAX on a flight and go to DEN, ORD, JFK, MIA, DFW, LAS and return to LAX all on one flight I'd put LAX in the departure and destination field and then put the other airports in the route.

I would NOT put a separate line for each airport because that would get crazy trying to calculate the times. By just putting one line you can easily keep track of the flights total time and by putting intermediate airports in the route you keep a log of where you've been. That becomes handy if you have software that can map where you've been like what I used to draw the little map in my signature line.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

| KRDG KIPT, KTHV | KRDG

I log all my legs on one line in LogTen. I stick my starting airport in the "from" field, then in the route if you type in all the legs including the return leg, it will stick the last leg in the "to" field.

Im have to look again, but i do not believe i have a route field. If not, ill look in the properties and see if i can enable that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I was able to find that option and enable it. I have seen that before and it never dawned on me what it meant. Thanks!

At first i hated this program, but the more i use it, the more i like it. I want to go back and have my instructors sign the entries i flew with them

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I wrote in a column for High Performace time since I fly a non-retract HP plane. I'm starting Complex soon then I'll start logging complex time too.

Back