Logbook #4

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I know it's not a big deal to you professional pilots, but today was a milestone, of sorts -- a new logbook.

This is #4, for me, and I've paid for every minute of time that is proudly recorded in those first three volumes. Each worn and tattered tome acts as the recorded diary of my family's life, and they rank as some of my proudest possessions.

This last one, #3, was larger than my first two, and lasted 8 years and 3 months. The first entry was August 24, 2003, for a flight to Clinton, Iowa to have our (now somewhat worn) new leather seats installed in Atlas, our trusty Piper Pathfinder.

My son, now a grown man of 21 (and a certificated pilot himself), was not yet able to reach the rudder pedals on that flight. This feat (sorry!) was first recorded just a few weeks later, on September 7th, 2003.

It was literally a red-letter day, according to my logbook.

And so it went, for the next 646 hours -- each hour carefully condensed down to just two or three sentences that said so little, and so much. Close calls with weather were mentioned, bad landings documented, mechanical failures recorded. Here are a few:

December 17, 2003 The 100th anniversary of powered flight. "6 airports before lunch -- Mary got 6 more after lunch!" That was a good day.

Not all of them were good, though.

April 14, 2004 "3 days stuck in Nashville, TN, under a cut-off low spinning ice. Wild approach -- too close!"

Funny thing is, all I remember is the fantastic time we had in Nashville -- a place we weren't even supposed to be. (We were trying to get to Sun N Fun from Iowa.) I have no recollection of the scary approach.

June 29, 2004 At Gaston's resort with my son -- four days I will never forget. "Low vis and ceilings. An amazing approach to land."

September 15, 2004 We flew to Reno for the Air Races. "To Reno at sunset" is all the book says -- but what an understatement. That was all I had energy to write, at the end of 7.5 stressful hours in the saddle. We got the last available parking spot on the ramp, which was a darned good thing. I have NO idea what we would have done had they said "We are full."

There were flights to graduations. Flights to funerals. Flights to weddings. Flights to 8 different Oshkosh Airventure conventions, three Sun N Funs, and countless other fly-ins.

March 18, 2005 We lost the #2 cylinder on takeoff from Titusville, Florida, coming home from Sun N Fun, and had to immediately return and land. I pulled all 12 plugs, cleaned, reinstalled -- and off we went.

So many fun times. July 12, 2005 I flew from Mackinac Island back to St. Ignace, where we were staying. "9 minutes, chock to chock." That 9-minute flight wasn't just fun -- it saved us $200/night in hotel costs, by staying on the mainland.

Blakesburg for the Antique Aircraft Association. Galesburg for the Stearman Fly-in. Grand Glaize for the Cherokee fly-ins. The list goes on, and on, and on.

There were tragedies, too. April 19, 2006. We flew over a devastated Iowa City, after a tornado swept through town. "Tornado damage in a swath from Hartwig Dodge (just blocks from our hotel) to Iowa Avenue."

And there were technological breakthroughs documented in this logbook:

August 3rd, 2006. On a flight back from Algona, MN I noted "Weather depiction in the cockpit on Garmin 496 is AMAZING."

And right after that, we flew to my 30 year high school class reunion in Racine, WI. Sorta doubt I'll ever make another one...

There were flights in everything from a Lockheed Constellation to a Blandik glider. Our beloved little Ercoupe came...and went, with just 24.1 hours logged before we sold her. You just don't take long flights in a 'Coupe.

September 20, 2006 "240 knots in Harry's Swearingen SX-300 air racer!" You twitch in that thing, and you went up 500 feet. Or down.

The Howard DGA flight was amazing, as was aerobatics in the Super Decathlon. Flying an Aztec across the U.S. was challenging, and I still remember laughing out loud after landing a King Air 90, because it was so easy to grease her on....

And there was the time we blew out our oil cooler in Missouri, and found that my A&P had a serviceable unit on the shelf, back in Iowa City. I bought a friend a bunch of gas that day to fly it down -- and that oil cooler is still in Atlas to this day.

March 13, 2007 "Flight into First Flight Airport at Kill Devil Hills. Fantastic to see where it all began."

June 13, 2008 I wrote "Evacuate for Flood of '08". The devastation was incredible, and we had to get our plane out of danger. Amazingly, the water stopped just a few feet from our hotel -- but not till after we sand-bagged the whole place.

Camping with my son on Washington Island. All those flights into Oshkosh, at the head of a Flight of four, five, six, or nine, depending on the year. Flying to Dulles International, to appear at the Udver-Hazy Air & Space Museum. And, of course, the first time I flew back to Iowa from visiting this island. In the space for remarks, next to "Mustang Beach Airport" I neatly printed "Want to live HERE".

And now we do.

So many great flights, some with people who are no longer with us. Mary's mom and aunt, loving sisters, laughed all the way back to Wisconsin, pointing out things far below. Both are gone, now, as are several other friends and relatives.

There was that flight on August 15, 2008, one of many, where we were low and slow over the Mighty Mississippi in the 'Coupe with the top down, arm outside, feeling the wind and sun, and loving every minute.

These logs are so much more than just flights. They are the story of my life, and I would run back into a burning building to save them...

Does anyone else treat their logs like sacred scrolls?

Last edited:
Jay that's very cool. I bet that log book would make a good basis for a collection of short stories.

Jay that's very cool. I bet that log book would make a good basis for a collection of short stories.

I have good intentions on writing a book.

After two hotels, I've got some stories. :lol:

Congrats on the mile stone!
I got tired of filling out logbooks everyday, so I purchased Logbook Pro a while back and love it.

I'm still working on my first log book, but I can't wait to add "stories" to it!

Very cool!!

When I get a faster plane I'm gonna fly over to your place. Should be a fun trip from New Orleans to Port Aransas.

I also have a friend that runs a fishing charter out of Port Aransas if you're into fishing (I am!!!).

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Congrats!!
The AF kept my flight hours in their computer, I did not think to keep a personal record, so just a big printout for those hours.
I'm on my second, "airplane" log book in 37 years, some years only had one or two civilian airplane flights.
I keep my glider flying in a different log book, so I'm on glider book #5 since 1997, 10 flights per page and not that many pages. So pages fill up quick when instructing.

Very cool!!

When I get a faster plane I'm gonna fly over to your place. Should be a fun trip from New Orleans to Port Aransas.

I also have a friend that runs a fishing charter out of Port Aransas if you're into fishing (I am!!!).

You don't need a faster plane!! Just start earlier and plan to stay overnight.
There is something to be said for low and slow.

Very cool!!

Which fishing charter? With the upcoming name change, we're hoping to do some package deals with a local charter group, but they all seem about the same to me. A good PIREP and recommendation would sure help.

Those are great stories and quite frankly a very inspirational idea. Granted, I'm just starting out in my pilot adventures, but I will absolutely be keeping more personal notes such as yours. Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome. I'm only on my second logbook, but I log work time "monthly."

Thanks for posting - I enjoyed reading that. I recently got my pilots license and had a fun time going over my dad's first log-book with him (he has 2000+ hours). I was blown away by the fact that he got his PPL in a twin-engine (Baron) and he never mentioned that to me. He had to go back to get his single engine rating the following year. Probably the easiest checkout anyone has ever taken.

Thanks for posting - I enjoyed reading that. I recently got my pilots license and had a fun time going over my dad's first log-book with him (he has 2000+ hours). I was blown away by the fact that he got his PPL in a twin-engine (Baron) and he never mentioned that to me. He had to go back to get his single engine rating the following year. Probably the easiest checkout anyone has ever taken.

Wow -- I've never heard of anyone getting their private in a Baron, before. Talk about expensive!

Did your dad explain why he did that? The only way it would make sense is if it were a buddy's plane. Even then, the added cost of fuel would be horrible, nowadays.

Wow -- I've never heard of anyone getting their private in a Baron, before. Talk about expensive!

Did your dad explain why he did that? The only way it would make sense is if it were a buddy's plane. Even then, the added cost of fuel would be horrible, nowadays.
Maybe his intent was to fly the Baron when he was done with his training. In that case it could make sense.

I believe Tony trained a student in a 421 for his private.

Last edited:
Those are great stories and quite frankly a very inspirational idea. Granted, I'm just starting out in my pilot adventures, but I will absolutely be keeping more personal notes such as yours. Thanks for sharing!

I remember one of my first flying buddies was a CFI who had an enormous logbook. It was like a family bible, or something, and had tons of room for notes that I would have killed to have. (Condensing everything down to just one or two lines is always frustrating, especially on vacation flights.)

I was appalled to see that he had simply written "Flight instruction" at the top of each page, and then put quotation marks all the way down to the bottom. Here I was, cramming a diary into a 2" line, while he had room to write a paragraph for each flight, and wasn't using it.

If I could do it over, I would have started with one of those enormous books. Of course, then I would have had to endure even MORE abuse from my kids, who were always frustrated because I would not leave the airplane until the logbooks (one for me, one for the plane) were complete! :lol:

I believe Tony trained a student in a 421 for his private.

Instrument Rating actually. He owned the plane and it was what he was going to fly and he needed the rating to get insurance.

He got a good deal and bought the plane because he intended to use it for work trips. This was late 70's when fuel was cheap (think .80c/gal). He kept it for 3 years before buying a '76 Piper Navajo in '81 so he could take the whole family places (our most memorable flight was DC to Jamaica - over cuba!) and we continue to own that plane until today - 30 years later. Although he sold half of it to his brother-in-law 10 years ago because he stopped flying for work. My uncle spent $100k+ to upgrade it and it is now decked out with leather, glass, bose, etc etc but costs too much to fly (burns ~30/gal/hr) for fun unless you need to haul 6-8 people. Now they are both looking to sell/trade for an older SR22t to better meet missions. Definately looking forward to being able to fly that hod-rod once in a while!

I haven't written anything in my paper logbook in about 6 months. Sometime this winter I'm going to try and catch it up to my elogbook I guess..Although I'm not sure why I'd even do that..

I'm still working on my first log book, but I can't wait to add "stories" to it!

Why wait? I can't wait to have the time to add Saturday night's "story" (and flight) to both my logbook and POA.

I have stories already in my book and in fact have logged several flights with zeros. Zeros because I did not touch the controls (some other person's private plane) but I feel that every flight I take these days is important. Someone on POA said "do what you want, it is your book". So I did. No more CFI filling out every page, what freedom!

Back